“Tasting room compares well to anywhere in the world”
Review of Becker Vineyards

Becker Vineyards
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Stonewall
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Texas Hill Country between Fredericksburg and Stonewall, Becker Vineyards was established in 1992 by Richard and Bunny Becker. We are open for wine tasting, tours, wine gift purchases and picnics. We also host many events throughout the year that we encourage you to attend.
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Becker was a nice experience. Alan was our pourer and he was very knowledgeable of not only Becker's wine, but of wines throughout the world (which was a pleasant surprise for a couple of Napa/Sonoma/Paso wine snobs). The wines were good and fairly priced. I definitely liked their Claret and I liked most of their reds (I did not taste any of their whites). They had a food truck outside serving pizzas, but at $14 for a 10" pizza out of a food truck it seemed a little expensive for me. The tasting was $12 for 6 tastes and you got to keep a wonderfully sized/shaped wine glass. The glasses are actually better than the wine glasses Silver Oak gives away with their tasting. I would go back just to collect more glasses. I love it when the winery lets me keeps the glass. Summary: Wines good, good prices, nice facilities, great glass. I will be back.

1  Thank Barron B

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had friends in town who are used to going to Napa and Amador County to wine taste. We wanted to let them know that we do have some decent wine here in Texas! We were pleasantly surprised that the service was very good considering the Labor Day weekend crowd. It is $12 per person to taste (6) wines on their list. Take advantage of tasting the ones that are only for sale at the winery. Some of the wines such as Claret and Tempranillo can be found at HEB. We enjoyed the Pinot Grigio, White Wing (blend of Semillion and Sauvignon Blanc done Bordeaux style) and the Prairie Rotie. The Prairie Rotie is an interesting Rhone style; Grenache, Mourvedre, Syrah and Petite Syrah. We took a bottle of that home to enjoy with pasta. It was yummy! Note: If you are tasting wine in Texas during the summer be sure you have a cooler so you don't ruin all that wonderful wine!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I have visited Becker on two separate occasions while in the Fredericksburg's area. This winery never disappoints from a service standpoint. Of all the wineries you pass along the way, this is the one that boasts robust, mature grapevines. The drive-up is lovely, landscaped grounds, plenty of outdoor seating and impressive stone building that houses their two tasting rooms.

Our server, Judy, as truly top notch. She took great care of us during our tasting, chatted us up, took a photo or two for us. Ultimately, we sat outside and enjoyed a glass of wine while listening to a little live music before buying a bottle to take home with us.

$12.00 will get you six tastings and a complimentary wine glass to take home with you. I'm not a huge fan of the "complimentary wine glass" in general but theirs are actually good quality.

If you can visit during the week, I'd highly recommend it. This is a popular winery so the weekends will most certainly be packed.

1  Thank homeowner E
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I have visited Becker 4 times now, and without fail, I leave disappointed each time. I visit Fredericksburg several times a year, and I actually purposely avoid coming here because I am treated with indifference each time I come here. We decided to give it one last try this time, because it IS beautiful and very popular. I went to buy a glass of wine on the patio, and was immediately told I would have to go inside, buy a "glass" for $10, and come back out. Really. Even though there were plastic cups there for the purpose if you didn't do a tasting. So we went inside and told them the nice young man sent us inside to buy our wine, and were met with a confused look. We then "purchased" our "glass of wine" (sans the expensive "glass"?) and took the receipt outside, where we were served our wine in a plastic cup (what I wanted to begin with). Ugh. Give me Torre di Pietra or Pedernales Cellars any day, where we are always welcomed with a smile. I value friendliness, and I won't be back.

1  Thank Mkhtx2
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We visited this winery as we heard there was a nice group playing music on a Sun. afternoon.
The winery is located in an area with lots of wineries so can hit quite a few in a day. This one is set back off the road and has ample parking and a lovely setting. There is a small tasting room entrance that goes into a very large tasting room and shop. It was very crowded but we went on the large covered outside patio and there was seating there as well as benches on the grounds under the trees. The tasting is $10 for 5 or 6 wines and you get the glass but we decided to just buy bottles instead. There were several of us so we bought the Pinot Grigio $14.95 which was somewhat dry, Reserve Merlot $17.95 and it was very good and the Moscato $9.99 which was light and refreshing on a warm Texas afternoon. We sipped and listened to great music by a group I think was called San Antonio Sessions or Foxes Celtic Music. The breeze was pleasant under the patio and there was a water mister that cool you as well. On the patio was also another bar set up for purchasing wine and I think they were doing wine tasting there as well. We purchased some Sweet Red Pepper Hummus and crackers in the shop to munch on and the hummus was very tasty and we were checked out fast in the shop. Very relaxing environment to sit and enjoy wine and conversation with some music.