“Nicest People and Great Texas Wine”
Review of Pedernales Cellars

Pedernales Cellars
Ranked #3 of 9 things to do in Stonewall
More attraction details
Owner description: Pedernales Cellars - the quintessential Texas boutique winery. Featuring award-winning wines, tours of the largest underground barrel cellar in Texas, and breathtaking views of the Hill Country from the patio.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

we visit here often and the people here are the best. Sit on the patio late afternoon and enjoy the cooler breeze and views.

Julie K, Owner at Pedernales Cellars, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thank you for again visiting us. The breeze up the Pedernales River Valley makes the deck one of the most pleasant places to sit outdoors in Gillespie County (even in the summer!). We look forward to your next visit.

There are newer reviews for Pedernales Cellars

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Since tasting wine is subjective from person to person I won't spend a lot of time critiquing the wines except to say that I really enjoyed a few of the. Like others, we got 9 1oz tastes for $13 and got to keep the souvenir glass. A great reminder of the trip. A nice new and clean tasting room greeted us along with a friendly staff. We went on a quick and informative tour of the location and then enjoyed the picnic lunch we packed and a glass of wine we liked on their patio. A very comfortable setting and we plan on stopping in again sometime.

Thank you very much for your visit, and for taking the time to write a review. Enjoying a picnic on the deck is an especially nice way to spend time at the winery, and we as a family often do the same on holidays. I do hope you that you stop by again.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I don't know how others who wrote reviews here got 9 tasting for $13 when I only had 5 for $13 on a preselected menu, mostly reds, which I do not like. I want to be able to taste the wines I want to, not what the winery wants me to taste. Our tasting lasted less than 5 minutes. They do have a beautiful patio (hot) with piano music. We stayed 5 minutes on the patio and left disappointed and won't go back

Julie K, Owner at Pedernales Cellars, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for visiting. Your review concerns me very much because the five tasting menu is only available for tour groups and is paid for by the tour operator. If you were charged $12.95 for this menu, it was in error and we would like to refund the charge. Please contact me at wine@pedernalescellars,com if indeed you were mischarged in this fashion. As for your concern that you were only able to stay a short time, if you were with a tour group, they unfortunately run on a schedule over which we have little influence. If not, please do feel welcome to visit again and stay longer to enjoy the music that we have on the deck almost every Saturday afternoon.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

So much potential but not sure if I’d go back. We had a very knowledgeable and engaging server. She was a pleasure to talk to. They give you 9 tastes for $13 which I think is way too many. And they do the measured 1 ounce pour which drives me crazy. It is very difficult to observe and get a good nose on a wine with 1 ounce. I would rather they allow you to taste 4-5 wines but with a decent pour. Especially for the reds. You just can’t properly observe the wine with such a miniscule pour. I get that they get a certain type of person that comes in to drink as much as they can (particularly when they tell you that all of the 1 ounce pours will yield a whole glass of wine) but what about the people that come in and genuinely want to learn about and properly taste the wine and have no problem pouring out the excess? At least give the option of a private tasting. That being said, we liked many of the wines we tasted (not observed or smelled) and ended up buying 6 bottles at over $200. How much of our two $13 tasting fees were waived? Not one dollar. Huge pet peeve. We’ve tasted wines in many places around the world and short of a few places in Napa and Burgundy, many will refund some part of your tasting fee.

1  Thank Katrina R

Thank you for visiting Pedernales Cellars. I am glad to hear that your server was knowledgeable and engaging. As for the way we structure our tasting menu, we are aware that we offer more wines than the average, and that has meant offering smaller quantities of each wine. We want people to be able to taste the full range of what we make. It is a trade-off, and we appreciate that knowledgeable customers like yourselves will want to immediately dive into a more intensive experience of Texas wine. Please enjoy the wines that you have purchased and please consider visiting us again.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We stopped by on our way to a stay in Fredericksburg and what a nice diversion it was. The young woman conducting the tasting was such a joy. You could tell that she really loves her work and was very knowledgeable about wine in general and their wines in particular. After a delightful experience with her we went on a tour of the in ground wine brewery. I learned so much from this, terms I've heard, like "oaked wines" now make sense to me. It was a wonderful experience!

Julie K, Owner at Pedernales Cellars, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Thank you very much for going out of your way to visit us. Hope you enjoyed your stay in Fredericksburg, and please do visit again.