“The concept is better than the execution”
Review of Hard Eight BBQ

Hard Eight BBQ
Ranked #1 of 71 Restaurants in Stephenville
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Denton, Texas
“The concept is better than the execution”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This sprawling barbecue place is impressive and welcoming to families and large groups. One orders meat (beef, pork ribs, porkchops) by the pound from the barbecue "boss," and can get steaks cooked to order and prime rib. We found the prime rib to be excellent, the pork ribs very good, but the brisket overcooked and dry. The sides were decent, including complimentary pinto beans.

• Visited April 2014

Dacula, Georgia, United States
“What a perfect stop on the way to San Antonio!”
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Stopped in for dinner and was very happy with the whole experience. Brisket and sausage was delicious. Love that you order right off the grill/smoker. Thanks for a great meal!

1 Thank Bobbi S
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Finally Stopped at Hard 8 BBQ”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

For years, I've been driving past Hard 8 BBQ on the twice yearly trips to visit my family, never stopping because I was anxious to get where I was going. Today, however, we stopped, and I'm glad we did. The parking lot was full at 1 p.m. on Monday, so I knew something had to be right. On the road we drive down, we'd never really seen the front, and was surprised to find you enter through a shaded walkway that goes right past the numerous smokers and pits to pick out your meat selection before you ever go into the building. They have a vast number of different meats, sold as though you're in a meat market, and you pay by weight. After the pitmaster serves you, you go inside to pay and pick sides. I had a simple chopped brisket sandwich sans sauce. The lunch special will get you one of those, with ample beef, a bag of a chips, and a drink for seven bucks. To that, I added coleslaw. They ask what type of bread you'd like the meat put on, and I chose a jalapeno sour dough. That was a great idea. It came to me as ordered, grilled on both sides, and delicious. The bread is slightly sweet and played nicely with the smokiness of the brisket. For other dishes, there are loaves of Sunbeam white bread on the table, and a communal, all you can eat pot of pinto beans. There are many options for seating -- at communal tables with stools topped with thick planks of wood, and outside in the screened porch, tables and chairs. I noticed they have live music on weekends, and I bet that's fun. The workers seemed to all be attractive and friendly students from the local college.

Before, I only chuckled at the name of the restaurant, as it's just down from the laugh-inducing Three Way, Texas. Although I'll still childishly enjoy that, I have a new reason to like it as well. It was really good. I just may stop again.

• Visited March 2014
Ohio
“Delicious food! ”
Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip here, and some friends from the area showed us the restaurant. My husband really enjoyed all of his food. I tried to brisket and also the sirloin kebab. The sirloin kebab was good. The BBQ sauce was delicious! The atmosphere was different and worth a trip.

Fredericksburg, Texas
“Brisket was very good”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Mrs. 4 gen and I tried brisket, turkey and pork ribs. The brisket was tender, moist and had good smoke, excellent. The turkey was flavorless, on the dry side and not very smoky. The pork ribs were tender and moist, but had an odd flavor, maybe the rub, which I did not care for. The beans were pretty good, flavored with onion and sausage, but the juice was thin. I had a brisket sandwich, the $7 lunch special with chips and a drink on the jalapeno bun, which was very good. The cole slaw was good. They offer 2 sauces, one thin vinegar type sauce and one thick overly sweet, we were not fans of either. The décor is typical Texas bbq joint, wood, horns and picnic tables, very clean. I would go back, but only for the brisket.

• Visited March 2014