“Try the Shrimp poppers”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed December 31, 2013

This is a great place, easy to find location, pretty darn fast service. You pick the meat from the smoker, the weigh it, you go inside and select sides and drink. It can be a little pricey - but about average for BBQ. Free beans that are always good. The shrimp poppers are great.
My favorite is the pork chop, but the smoked turkey is delicious too! Fun, family atmosphere, and they sell beer too.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We've eaten here several times when enroute from Wichita Falls back to San Antonio. You order your meats from the pit when you enter & will pay per pound once inside. We've had the smoked turkey and brisket. The turkey is sliced too thick for my taste, so I would not order it again. The brisket has been very good. Once you've got the meat(s), head inside to get your sides and drinks. The creamed jalapeno corn is not to be missed. The potato salad & cole slaw are good. Beans are free -- just look for the large pot and help yourself. The beans have some jalapeno sausage in them, so there's a real kick to it. There's a station with pickles, onions, etc. Bread is on your table. There's plenty of friendly staff, cleaning up the dining areas.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I go the long way from Dallas to Austin so I can stop at Hard Eight BBQ. The pork ribs are moist, lean and leaves me craving. They've also made me a bean lover. Their complementary homemade beans are fresh, pure with a spicy sausage kick. These 2 items are what brings me back and leaves me craving more.
The other meats I had on my 2 visits (Yes, hit it on my way to Austin and on my return to Dallas) were not so special.The turkey was moist, but not what barbecue is about. The pork chop was dry but still not bad and I've had better brisket.
The environment is fun, big smoke pit outside and lots of seating.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

Coming to Texas for the first time definitely called for some Texas bbq, so I was glad that the folks we knew took us here. I loved the way it was set up. You get your meat from the outside grill then go inside for the sides and drinks. It was a really good Texas bbq experience. I had the sirloin and brisket bbq with sides of corn on the cob, jalapeno cord, mac & cheese and cole slaw. The food was SO good and so much that I had to really stop myself from eating too much. It was just a really down to earth experience. The service was good too.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I've driven by the location in Stephenville several times, decided mid Friday afternoon that today was the day to stop by. Should have kept on driving, here's why:
Unsanitary, Overpriced, Below Average Brisket.

The details:
First, the open cooker with available meats on display was surrounded and buzzed by flies, lots and lots of flies.

Second, asked for half pound lean brisket and two pork ribs, the cutter repeated my brisket order, grabbed an uncut brisket and went at it, and at it and at it...longest I have EVER seen ANYONE take to slice a brisket....finally, the first pieces of meat hit the paper on the tray.

Third, my cut brisket became a target for the myriad of flies, cutter was not bothered at all this, he did take a swipe once over the meat on the tray with the same knife he was using to cut the brisket. I quickly stood near my tray and fanned away fly after fly. After the cutter added a couple more misshapen hunks, never a slice, I was not going to wait around anymore for flies to carry off my meat, so I grabbed the tray and headed inside, where the requested half pound turned out to be well over a pound. Hmmmm, was he adding meat to match the weight of the flies around the cooker?

Fourth, the brisket was tough and stringy, bark was terrible, meat was extremely salty. The complimentary pinto beans were not bad, just a bit undercooked and interestingly, actually needed salt. The Hot and Spicy BBQ sauce was a thin, watery, vinegary tasting addition with no heat, best not used at all. The Regular BBQ sauce was dark, thick overly sweet sauce which did not work.

Fifth, my dining companion and I took turns swatting at flies off our food ON THE INSIDE too. Really? Have these guys never heard of a fly strip? Something, ANYTHING to keep the flies away??

If someone thinks this is how Texas brisket should be cooked, served and sold, they have really missed out on the excellent locations we have in our great state. This is not one of those. I kept thinking the meat and experience would get better as I went along, sadly it did not.

My overall recommendation: Unsanitary, Overpriced, Below Average Brisket. Lesson Learned: Drive by, just keep driving, don't stop.