“Needs A Little Tweaking”

Silver Dollar Steakhouse at The Hideaway Ranch
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I was excited to eat here. I'd heard really great things from friends about this restaurant. So, I'll start with what's great about it - the steak. We ordered the filet mignon. It was cooked as we ordered it. It was tender. It was delicious. The salad was fresh and had homemade buttermilk dressing. There were complimentary chips and hot sauce to munch on while we waited for the meal. The decor is country and the building is part of a group that has been built to look like a pioneer town. The drive out to the country is pleasant.
But, all was not great. Chips and drinks were brought promptly, but then they seemed to forget to take our order. We began to wonder if they really had forgotten us. There are only 4 choices for sides, pinto beans, a pepper & squash skewer, french fries, or baked potato. I would like to see more choices. No bread is offered with the meal. Our meal came and I asked for steak sauce, but they only have ketchup. My husband's fries were so cold he couldn't eat them. We were almost through with our meal before anyone asked if everything was okay. My husband who NEVER complains at a restaurant did let the hostess know the fries were cold. She offered to bring more, but as we were about through eating, he declined. Then, we ordered peach cobbler for dessert. It was homemade with a rolled crust. But, it was served cold right out of the fridge. I don't know which was colder, the ice cream or the cobbler. Cobbler should be served warm. I really think dessert should have been comped as the fries were inedible.I won't be rushing back, but I will eventually give them another try.

2  Thank ctrussel

Reviewed August 1, 2013

My family recently stayed at "The Hideaway" and were delighted to see they had a restaurant on premises. It was fabulous!! We ate dinner there twice and breakfast once.
On the first night the staff greeted us in a very friendly way. The steaks at dinner that night were tender, juicy, spiced perfectly and cooked to perfection. My son had a cheeseburger that melted in his mouth. We had brought our own wine which the wonderful staff opened for us and my husband and I got to drink it in peace as our son went outside to play on the playscape with the other kids and talk to the goats, pigs and chickens in the paddock!! Awesome!!
We had breakfast there the next morning and it was equally wonderful......best homemade biscuits I've tasted
The second night my son & husband went for the same again which was again superb! I had the chicken with a green chile sauce and it was great.
Both nights we had the sapodilla cheesecake for dessert...Yummm!!
All in all a wonderful place with great people and in a beautiful setting!!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

It was a long drive down a dirt road, but where else do you find a 5 star steak waiting in a rustic western atmosphere. Schedule a horse back ride or stay over at the Cabins while you are there! I found the vegetables were overcooked the night I was there, but the flavor was awesome!

1  Thank StoneHutFosilShop
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Everything you want in a great steak is at The Silver Dollar Steakhouse located in Buffalo Gulch at the Hideaway Ranch and Retreat located just a stone’s throw from Glen Rose, TX. Steaks are so tender that you don’t even need a knife. They actually melt in your mouth. We have been going to the Silver Dollar ever since it open just a little over a year ago and have never had a bad experience. From the juicy tender steaks to the Sopapilla Cheesecake you can’t go wrong no matter what you order. A great atmosphere with a warm and friendly staff, always ready to greet you with a smile. I would recommend a reservation on Friday or Saturday night. Your meal will be worth the drive. My wife and I drive 84 miles one way for the Silver Dollar experience.