“It's outstanding for comfort food; a very good value”

Jake and Dorothy's Cafe
Ranked #8 of 75 Restaurants in Stephenville
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I’ve reviewed this place before, and it just keeps getting better.

There’s nothing that pleases me more than to find myself in Stephenville around meal time. Because, I already know I’m going to stop in to Jake and Dorothy’s for the appropriate fare. Today, I’d been on an extended junket into West Texas, and was delighted to roll up into their driveway exactly at 5PM on a Saturday. It was deserted.

I took a seat up in the old part of the restaurant, and I can’t for the life of me figure out what all these people are complaining about concerning the residual smoke in the place. I notice rented cars, and motel rooms, and other places that have been smoked out, and not adequately cleaned very quickly. I didn’t notice any kind of tobacco odor remnants for my entire 0:45 minute visit there. I think the anti-smoking movement is just hyper-sensitive and critical.

There aren’t any specials going at this hour, so I ordered my favorite, their corn meal fried catfish. It came with a tiny salad (and I do mean tiny, but it had bits of tomato and a few shreds of carrot), a baked potato, and toast for a bread item. The salad tasted good enough, and the baked potato was served piping hot with a generous amount of butter and sour cream. But, the four huge hunks of golden brown, extra crispy fish were just heaven sent. I haven’t tasted fish like this since I used to catch them from the lake back in the 1970’s and cook them myself. I got their senior plate, even though I’m not quite that old, and I still could not finish off all the fish.

There’s nothing new at this place, other than they passed their 65th year in business this past summer. It’s a great place for comfort food at very fair prices. There’s nothing trendy, or glamorous to be found in there, but the Texas Monthly has decided they are one of the 40 best in the State. I certainly don’t disagree.

I just couldn’t bear to eat another bite, but the pies looked breath taking, as they always do. And, as always my bill was presented on a green guest check, and rung up on their 1970’s mechanical NCR cash register. Oh, and they don’t take plastic, because they don’t have to. They take cash, and checks from the locals only, so if you go, be prepared.

1  Thank Arnold_Ziffel

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Two choices for lunch on Sunday. Wife and I chose "chicken fried steak, with potatoes, and squash." Sounded great. However, the CANNED New Potatoes were bad....the squash casserole type thing was horrible; but, the chicken fried streak was pretty good....if you could stand the cigarette smell. Went there from San Antonio because of a Texas Country Reporter show. We won't go back. Oh, yeah....they don't take credit cards. There's an ATM at the bank down the street... They were nice enough to trust us tot go get cash and return to pay the bill.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went on Tuesday night for the dollar hamburger night and was surprised at the quality of the food. It was excellent and the place was packed.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

When you walk in you take a step back in time to a well worn small town cafe. First thing you notice is the counter, for single diners. That is, single diners who want to sit in the smoking section. It would be nice if you did not have to walk through the smoking dining room to get to the nonsmoking room in the back. Nice greeting from a hostess that seated us, and good service from our waitress. You could tell both had worked there for many years. I had the chicken fried steak and waffle fries. The CFS was one of the best ever, but the waffle fries were greasy and limp. My wife had the chicken and dressing lunch special. Overall good, but a tiny, very weak salad. Good prices, good service, good value.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Saw this café on Texas Day Tripper and had t try it. The drive 316 miles and it was worth every mile. What a gem!! What a Great Chicken Fried Steak and Waffle Fries.!!!!!! Our Waitress whom I regretfully didn't get her name (Dressed All In Green) was delightful and fully knowledgeable of the menu. Only regret is that they do not accept credit cards. Then again that might be a Blessing in disguise.
Mike & Susan Cornitius