“bad experience”

Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed November 17, 2012

first of all my mother worked there for years,we used to love that place,but when i went back this time was about a month ago and yes im a smoker too but the smokers should be put in the back non smokers should not have too walk into the smoke,second thing is our waitress we had was young with no sense of humor at all i did not tip her cause the service was awful,we got no refills we were charged 60.00 dollars for 4 c.f.s. and 4 drinks, and one childs meal,my waffle fries were like potato chips,the cfs was the worst ive ever eaten in my life,ive been cooking for a long time and that cook needs a cooking course,it had no flavor what so ever,these people would have to give me 2 free meals to go back there,that place was my hang out place when i was in my 20 s and im 56 now i drove almost 50 miles to get there for bad service and bad food. i managed a restaurant for 3 yrs and done better than that

1  Thank brenda r

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Have to agree with another review about the smoke. It was terrible. Never thought I'd go to a restaurant where "not" smoking was frowned upon. but....the food was great. Service was great. Pie was wonderful. Looks like it's a favorite amoung locals. Will make this place a regular stop when visiting Stehphenville. That's saying alot since smoke does not sit well with me or the family.

1  Thank KJTexas
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My 90 year old mother and I were in Stephenville for a short time and she wanted to return to Jake and Dorothy's for dinner where she had eaten many times 15 or 20 years ago. Coming from an area that prohibits smoking in any part of a restaurant we were surprisingly overcome with smoke as we walked to a non smoking back room. The small steak that I ordered was very tough and I cannot remember having a steak of such poor quality. My mother's hamburger was okay but nothing to write home about. A slice of coconut pie was mediocre. The service from the attentive ladies was outstanding and as good as you will find anywhere. Overall I would rate the total experience as fair.

1  Thank capital65
Reviewed September 24, 2012

People in Dallas don't even know where Stephenville is located - what a shame. My dad & his brothers were raised in Stephenville in the 1930 & early 40's; every time we returned for a visit & still today our family gathers at Jake & Dorothy's because Jake & Dorothy is Stephenville and Stephenville is Jake & Dorothy's. I highly recommend the Breakfast Special or the Chicken Fried Steak - one of the best CFS in Texas.

1  Thank BigDogWillie
Reviewed August 3, 2012

A part of local history, this diner is operated by the daughter of the original owners. A restaurant serving typical diner food, they are perhaps best known for their waffle fries. Their chicken fried steak is also delicious. Most nights have specials. The most popular seems to be Tuesday, when hamburgers are only $1.00. The desserts, pies and cakes made by an outside vendor, are also delicious. If you are in the area, be sure and stop in and experience this local tradition.

1  Thank free2bee