“Excellent service, decent food, bit pricey”

Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 97 Restaurants in Stafford
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Had a bit of a wait on a weeknight, but didn't want to eat at the bar, so I didn't mind. Service was excellent, server was polite, knowledgeable and attentive. Had an appetizer and an entree, both were pretty good (picky - garlic toast with my crab dip was burnt). Prices were a bit above average, not too bad for a business meal but would have been quite expensive to take the family out to dinner.

There are newer reviews for Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen

Reviewed August 24, 2014

The Pappadeaux Restaurant at Stafford, TX was under construction when I visited, but the food and service was not affected by that at all! It looks like they are redoing the front of the restaurant, but I wasn't sure about that. There were no disruptions due to the construction. The food was excellent, and service was fast and friendly. Our waitress was attentive and made sure we had everything we needed. I ordered the blackened Costa Rican Mahi over dirty rice; it was very good, and the lemon butter sauce that came with it completed the dish with a flair. I also had two mixed drinks, the N'awlins, which was served with fresh watermelon and had just the right amount of alcohol for me! The prices seem to be higher than the last time I ate at a Pappadeaux, which was probably about a year ago in Austin, but I'm glad we chose this one on this trip because it was well worth it!

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Great tasting specials, service was a little slow for the amount of customers they had. I always eat too much but, this is not their fault.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

We found this to be a very good spot for a business lunch. On this occasion, my colleagues and I were meeting a consultant for an important business discussion. He suggested Pappadeaux. One of my colleagues who accompanied me was a big fan so it made the choice a no-brainer. I generally had a positive impression when all was said and done but there was a drawback or two. This is part of a super regional chain (mostly localized in Texas and the Southwest with a few locations here and there elsewhere in the country). It is a cousin of Pappasito's as well as a few other brands. The exterior and interior of the restaurant were nicely done and the seating area was VERY spacious. This was fortuitous for us as we were able to get a spot in the back that was quiet for a while before the lunch rush peaked. Our server attended to us quickly and was friendly and reasonably attentive throughout our visit. Seafood is the general specialty here and we all went with the theme. I tried the blackened catfish and opted for the asparagus as an accompaniment. I found it to be very enjoyable. My colleague had the shrimp and our guest had one of the crawfish combos which they both reported to be tasty. The one major negative was my other colleague who was on a gluten-free regimen. He ordered the scallops and, while they tasted fine, the portion was quite inadequate. The prices here were not cheap but were probably OK when all was taken into consideration. Overall, this is a pretty good spot for Cajun-style seafood and is worth a try if you like that sort of cuisine.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We normally love going to Pappadeux's, but this trip was a bit of a letdown. We expected a wait and crowds, but I wasn't expecting to be crammed into a table where we wouldn't be able to move. I was scooted in as close as I possibly could be to our table, but the fidgety woman seated at the table behind me was equally jammed in and kept slamming me into our table. My ribs will never be the same. And it wouldn't have been an issue if there was more spacing between tables.

We also had some service issues. Two members in our party ordered grilled soft shelled crabs over dirty rice. They were both given fried crabs over French fries. On top of that, I had a cup of gumbo and had to ask 3 different people over the course of 10 minutes for a spoon. We also were never offered dessert. Mind you, we weren't planning on it, but I've never had them not offer us dessert.

Speaking of that gumbo...it was awful. It tasted like they burned the roux during prep. I thought maybe it was a one time thing, but a member in our party got it last time and it had a similar bad burned taste. I know everyone's gumbo is different, but there's no excuse for an obvious burned taste.

Beyond that- the manager did try to correct the soft shelled crab double blunder...so that was positive. My crab cakes were also good, my husband's fish was good, the kids loved their shrimp and fish, and the Greek salad for 2 that my parents got was good.

Sadly, after many great years of dining here, I think we're going to skip it for a long time due to this visit.