“Police escort needed”

El Palenque Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #39 of 540 Restaurants in Spring
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Be ready to be ignored and be assaulted. Waited a while with chips and a tea and coke. Took a while to get water. Kitchen was busy with a big table of more than 12, So tacos and enchiladas were placed on slow order. When meal was served with warning of hot plate, tea and water were left empty. Waiter walked off and counted his money while we were left dry. Most places refresh drinks and chips. Not here for me. Wait staff terribly slow and not helpful. Waiter gave my daughter the tab. I reviewed the service with her and wanted her to recognize terrible service and reflect on it. While we talked about it waiter returned to collect money. I told him no. We we reflecting on his bad service and were not ready. I told him about the bad service partially descibed above, when he grabbed me by my shoulder. Where is assault on the menu? I immediately asked for the manger not once, but three times. The waiter snarled at me. The manager did drag his feet an show up after other wait staff showed. He was attacking and never apologetic about the waiter grabbing me. He was dismissive presenting it as a humorous ploy by his staff. It was neither invited or pleasant. The waiter was a joke and the manager was an idiot. Follow up with corporate was a run around when asked for a district manager. Hire a police escort.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I've eaten at El Palenque a couple times. The restaurant is decorated in bright colors with roosters all over the place. The staff are dressed in traditional mexican dresses. Service is prompt and friendly.

Chips and salsa are good. The salsa they serve is warm and is well seasoned with onions, cilantro, tomatoes and peppers. I had the beef fajitas and my wife had the spinach enciladas. You get a huge portion of food here for a reasonable price. The fajitas were pretty good. Well seasoned and not tough or stringy like some. You get a lot of meat and onions with this selection. I had enough left over for lunch the next day. The spinach enchiladas were good also with mushrooms and cream sauce.

The charro beans they serve are not very good. The rice they serve with the meals are good though. I usually don't like mexican rice, but here the rice is good. We also had the nachos palenque which were pretty good. Standard nachos with fajita meat on top. I like this place because it is cheaper than most, portions are huge, staff is friendly and it is close to home.

Reviewed April 14, 2012

Always clean and fresh, great little secret. Nice lunch menu, tacos el carbon where excelant today!

Reviewed March 17, 2012

Great service, Good food with a more Mexican flavor than the normal Texican stuff we get locally.

Reviewed September 16, 2010

Dined here on the way to the Woodlands for a concert. Although they were busy the service was outstanding. Food was as ordered, hot, flavorful and delicious. They have several items that are not your typical texmex and the ones we had were very very good. Margaritas were large and excellent. We cant wait till the next concert so we can head north and dine here.