“The food was fantastic”

The Black Sheep Bistro
Ranked #7 of 640 Restaurants in Spring
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Short version. Joe and I (Maria) moved to Houston in February of 2012. After a long weekend visit which we spent in The Woodlands in January of 2012, we decided to make a move, very spur of the moment. After returning from our visit, it only took a few days to decide to move. Eight days later, Joe packed his car armed with his chef knives, coats and bare necessities looking forward to a 3 day journey to Texas. We came down with no family ties, but with our families, no distance can keep us apart. So with their blessing, we were determined to make it work, and we did. I met Joe down here a month later with our dogs and a few belongings. Joe worked downtown as executive chef with the Mandola family on West Dallas Street, Up Restaurant in Highland Village and finally at Mo's "A Place for Steak" in The Galleria. The Rest, come in and we will tell ya!
Reviewed December 16, 2018

My wife and I went recently for date night. The food was wonderful. We particularly enjoyed the rib appetizer. My wife remarked that she had never had such tender ribs before. The glaze was delicious! I tried the curried cauliflower soup - also delicious! The pork belly salad was very good, almost too much food for a salad. The Greek meatball appetizer was avaerage. We look forward to visiting again!

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed November 2, 2018 via mobile

We ordered lunch in an overly loud, empty ‘bar’ which was extremely narrow and led to a storage pile and a bathroom with an out of code electrical box on the floor.
The server rushed past us repeatedly, the last time actually brushing my butter knife, all I was given for a filet that was congealed cold internally and inedible. The woman loftily informed my dining partner that “was” med rare. It was covered in rosemary after I specifically asked for no seasoning. Partner’s pork chop, same hyperseasoning but was cooked properly. The server had zero to do with us after dropping off food; we were alone in favor of a big group yelling in another room.
We paid just to get out, and went elsewhere to eat.
The atmosphere was not conducive to negative feedback, and after my partner was shut down from speaking.. no real alternative left.

Date of visit: November 2018
3  Thank MedievalMermaid
Reviewed October 19, 2018 via mobile

This is a hidden gem in Old Town Spring! Wow, what excellent service and food! My sister and husband frequent here and were immediately recognized by the owner and staff members. Kristin was an amazing waitress with fantastic recommendations that did not disappoint. We had complex dishes of Chilean Sea bass to an eggplant pasta which was a delight to the taste buds. The wine pairing was on point and were seasonal from across the globe. Even desert was fantastic with the creame brûlée’s being one of the best I’ve had. When in Spring this should be a must for one evening. Kudos!

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

This meal was delicious from start to finish. We ordered the he roasted beet and asparagus salad and asked to hold the goat cheese. It was the perfect balance of sweet and savory with a light dressing. The drink suggestions we're on point and the service was outstanding. I had snapper with quinoa and shared my husband's perfectly crusted filet and roasted garlic mashed potatoes. The meal, service and atmosphere were all excellent and well worth the price.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

First visit to Old Town Spring. A quaint Texas town with an old town feel. Great unique shops and some really fine restaurants.

The Black Sheep came recomnended snd doesnt disappoint. Chef/owner from Hoard Beach New York with a fantastic culinary resume!
We began with the roasted beets, best I have ever had! Yum!!!! The chefs wife, Maria, a true Jersey girl, is warm and inviting and makes you feel at home. Mentioned some wonderful items on the menu in conversation, and moments later brought out a sample of the finest Spare ribs I gave had anywhere! OMG!
My entree was a gnocchi in a tomato, rosemary braised beef that was delicious! My husband had a crab cake benedict which he loved.

I will definately be back to try the next great concoction and the friendly staff.

Date of visit: September 2018