“If you absolutely need a kitchen ...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Extended Stay America - Houston - The Woodlands

Extended Stay America - Houston - The Woodlands
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Spring
Pattaya, Thailand
“If you absolutely need a kitchen ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I'm a frequent visitor to the Woodlands and have logged many nights in hotels. I wrote a review for Super 8 which is my most common destination. However, on trips where I was staying weeks, I would go to the Extended Stay.

What I liked was the kitchen. It was nice to have the kitchen utencils (when they were actually there) and the ability to heat food up. My wife was there a few times and cooked a few meals for us when we were tired of restaurants.

What I dislike is the staff. There used to be a manager there that was terrible. Nothing got done, things didn't work, rooms were missing items, and regardless of your complaint, you were ignored. Whether that has changed or not is unknown.

I also dislike the internet. THEY CHARGE for internet access. Shame on you ESA.

Walls are thin and you hear everything from room to room. ESA is filled with people staying semi-long time and you often have people outside their rooms, or on the balconies smoking and talking ... often into the night.

In comparison, the rooms are small but cozy and the television worked. I can't say the same for the remote controls - I can't tell how many times I have had to complain about not being able to change channels.

If you need a hotel room for multiple nights or weeks, and you can tolerate a few of the aggravations, then ESA is the place to go ... full kitchen, large bathroom, nice refrigerator and microwave.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Joe M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - The Woodlands, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Joe - Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Please know, I have addressed the issues outlined in your review with the entire staff. We will use your feedback as a way to improve and shape our future policies.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

We made group reservations a year in advance at this location for the Texas IronMan. The week of the race, this hotel called us and told us that they bumped us and will not be honoring our reservation. This caused complete chaos because we were traveling in from out of state. Finally, we got everything resolved after a lot of back and forth. When we checked in they put 3 of the 4 non-smoking reservations in smoking rooms. The rooms were very run down looking. The comforter and sheets must be the originals from when the hotel first opened. Our towles were not changed out after the first night. We requested more when management informed us they were out of fresh towels and their washer was broken. They told us we would have towels before the end of the day. We did not receive fresh towels until the next morning. On top of all of this, the staff was very rude and needs some serious customer service training. We never received one apologie. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody!! We travel a lot and have stayed at some pretty bad hotels but this one tops the list, mainly because of the staff.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank MNMomMN33
, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - The Woodlands, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Economy Houston - The Woodlands. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to respond to your issue in a way that might be able to help future customers. It's very important to us that our guests know exactly what to expect when staying with us - a great room at an exceptional rate. In order for us to continue offering such value, we maintain fully staffed front desk hours between 7am and 11pm seven days a week. During other times, our overnight staff is always available to check in guests and assist with other issues.

Travelers are raving about these Spring hotels

The Woodlands, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

This was the perfect spot for tween stay (between moves). Ashley was a great help at the front desk. She was always very cordial and willing to assist with whatever we needed. A nice variety of restaurants, a grocery store, and a convenience store are walking distance from the hotel; which was a plus. For those travelling, it is very close to the mall and the waterway...lots of entertainment. I'll admit, the beds weren't as comfortable as I'd like; but for the value they're okay. With excellent customer service like I received, I can deal with that for a couple of days. I'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: No wifi on the third floor
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Alondra T
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Houston - The Woodlands, responded to this review, March 18, 2012
It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Houston - The Woodlands. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

Do not stay here unless things have hit rock bottom. Bring mattress covers and your own sheets and pillows.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Nolacritic
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2011

Our group reserved several rooms and upon check in was told that not all the reserved rooms were available. We took what was available after determining how we would manage staying with fewer beds, then discovered the rooms were shabby and unappealing. The sheets were torn and stained, with cigarette burns. The entire set -up was not based at all on guest comfort. After check-out we discovered some valuable items including a retainer and expensive medications and had been left in one of the rooms. We immediately called and were told there was nothing left or if there had been, it would have been thrown away. We expressed our frustration with the hotel throwing away valuable items without at least holding onto them for a few hours just in case someone called.
The rooms are grungy, shabby, and unpleasant. It is not the kind of place that makes for an enjoyable stay and certainly is not a good value when the staff does not care about guests or about guest's belongings. I would not stay there again. There are much better options nearby.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank SuzyTraveler78746
Pacific Ocean
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

The room was OK and a good value, particularly if you want to fix your own food. However, the one bed in the room was tiny, the towels and linens shabby and there was no hot water in the shower. The shower issue was a real mystery, as there was hot water in the kitchen sink and bathroom sink. But after letting the shower run forever, it was still tepid at best. There appears to be some long term transients staying here and the signs in the parking lot to remove all your valuables is not a good sign.

Bottom line, I would pay a little more for some hot water.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
League City, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2011

Gross! The absolute worst I've motel I've ever been in. I guess this will teach me to pick the cheapest hotel on hotels.com! First, we arrived around 1 am and there was no one at the desk. We had to call on a call box and WAIT for someone to check us in. We were exhausted after Texas Ren Fest wanted to just flop into bed. Bathroom was gross! Hair on the shower walls. I was a little afraid to go to sleep in such a place. I crawled into bed and the sheets were still wet! At least I knew they were clean, but still...

When we woke up the next morning, I was horrified at the stained box spring with nothing covering it. It was literally falling apart. Never again. You get what you pay for!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank hebert4806
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spring
Hampton Inn & Suites North Houston Spring
Drury Inn & Suites Houston The Woodlands
La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston North-Spring
Hilton Garden Inn Houston/The Woodlands
BEST WESTERN PLUS Spring Inn & Suites
Homewood Suites by Hilton North Houston/Spring

Been to Extended Stay America - Houston - The Woodlands? Share your experiences!