“Worst Stay Ever...”

Extended Stay America Houston - The Woodlands
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Spring
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We made group reservations a year in advance at this location for the Texas IronMan. The week of the race, this hotel called us and told us that they bumped us and will not be honoring our reservation. This caused complete chaos because we were traveling in from out of state. Finally, we got everything resolved after a lot of back and forth. When we checked in they put 3 of the 4 non-smoking reservations in smoking rooms. The rooms were very run down looking. The comforter and sheets must be the originals from when the hotel first opened. Our towles were not changed out after the first night. We requested more when management informed us they were out of fresh towels and their washer was broken. They told us we would have towels before the end of the day. We did not receive fresh towels until the next morning. On top of all of this, the staff was very rude and needs some serious customer service training. We never received one apologie. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody!! We travel a lot and have stayed at some pretty bad hotels but this one tops the list, mainly because of the staff.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank MNMomMN33
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

I recently received a copy of your review of the Extended Stay America Economy Houston - The Woodlands. Our company prides itself on providing great service and great rooms at great rates, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to respond to your issue in a way that might be able to help future customers. It's very important to us that our guests know exactly what to expect when staying with us - a great room at an exceptional rate. In order for us to continue offering such value, we maintain fully staffed front desk hours between 7am and 11pm seven days a week. During other times, our overnight staff is always available to check in guests and assist with other issues.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

This was the perfect spot for tween stay (between moves). Ashley was a great help at the front desk. She was always very cordial and willing to assist with whatever we needed. A nice variety of restaurants, a grocery store, and a convenience store are walking distance from the hotel; which was a plus. For those travelling, it is very close to the mall and the waterway...lots of entertainment. I'll admit, the beds weren't as comfortable as I'd like; but for the value they're okay. With excellent customer service like I received, I can deal with that for a couple of days. I'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: No wifi on the third floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Alondra T
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America Houston - The Woodlands, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2012

It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay at the Extended Stay America Houston - The Woodlands. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. That's why the biggest investment we make is in our customers. Our staff is continually coached on how to best provide professional, accommodating, and friendly service to every guest. It sounds like we hit a home run in your case!

Reviewed November 29, 2011

Do not stay here unless things have hit rock bottom. Bring mattress covers and your own sheets and pillows.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank Nolacritic
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Our group reserved several rooms and upon check in was told that not all the reserved rooms were available. We took what was available after determining how we would manage staying with fewer beds, then discovered the rooms were shabby and unappealing. The sheets were torn and stained, with cigarette burns. The entire set -up was not based at all on guest comfort. After check-out we discovered some valuable items including a retainer and expensive medications and had been left in one of the rooms. We immediately called and were told there was nothing left or if there had been, it would have been thrown away. We expressed our frustration with the hotel throwing away valuable items without at least holding onto them for a few hours just in case someone called.
The rooms are grungy, shabby, and unpleasant. It is not the kind of place that makes for an enjoyable stay and certainly is not a good value when the staff does not care about guests or about guest's belongings. I would not stay there again. There are much better options nearby.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank SuzyTraveler78746
Reviewed April 26, 2011

The room was OK and a good value, particularly if you want to fix your own food. However, the one bed in the room was tiny, the towels and linens shabby and there was no hot water in the shower. The shower issue was a real mystery, as there was hot water in the kitchen sink and bathroom sink. But after letting the shower run forever, it was still tepid at best. There appears to be some long term transients staying here and the signs in the parking lot to remove all your valuables is not a good sign.

Bottom line, I would pay a little more for some hot water.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2011

Gross! The absolute worst I've motel I've ever been in. I guess this will teach me to pick the cheapest hotel on hotels.com! First, we arrived around 1 am and there was no one at the desk. We had to call on a call box and WAIT for someone to check us in. We were exhausted after Texas Ren Fest wanted to just flop into bed. Bathroom was gross! Hair on the shower walls. I was a little afraid to go to sleep in such a place. I crawled into bed and the sheets were still wet! At least I knew they were clean, but still...

When we woke up the next morning, I was horrified at the stained box spring with nothing covering it. It was literally falling apart. Never again. You get what you pay for!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank hebert4806
Reviewed January 1, 2008

Really bad. I stayed only because I booked the room online and had prepaid. The shower stall was so dirty that I had to purchase shower shoes, which I also wore in the room. The carpets were stained and dirty, the kitchen floor was dirty, there were bugs on the countertop in the morning. Bad all around. And the "queen" bed was a double at best.

Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank SCTravel59
Also consider these accommodations in or near Spring
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - Spring / N. Houston
Fairfield Inn & Suites Houston North/Spring
Days Inn Shenandoah TX
Days Inn Shenandoah TX
#3 of 7 in Shenandoah

Been to Extended Stay America Houston - The Woodlands? Share your experiences!