“Food is passable, nothing special”

Grapevine Cafe & Coffeehouse
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Established in 1999, Grapevine Café’s original owners created a simple restaurant offering breakfast and lunch favorites from traditional Mexican and American recipes. Under new ownership since 2006, the Grapevine Café has grown considerably in concurrence with the beautiful and surrounding city of South Padre Island, Texas. In many ways, we are still that casual eatery that serves delicious, simple and affordable food. Today, our menu boasts a greater variety of choices. We have added healthier menu items that are vegetarian and gluten free. We also offer a full line of gourmet, freshly ground coffee drinks and teas from our popular espresso bar. We take great pride in serving food that is made in-house, fresh and daily from proprietary, authentic recipes.
Katy, Texas
“Food is passable, nothing special”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

If you are going to only be open for breakfast and lunch you should be able to prepare an excellent breakfast. I ordered 2 eggs basted, hash browns, sausage and toast. They absolutely killed my basted eggs and the toast was hardly toasted, soggy and limp. My husband ordered coffee and she forgot about it. When he had to ask again, the waitress seemed put out. My husband had pancakes and eggs over hard. The eggs were fine, but the pancakes were tough. Not horrible, but not outstanding.

1 Thank Karon K

“Grapevine was awesome, as always!”
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My boyfriend and I visit South Padre Island at least twice a year and we always make sure to frequent Grapevine Cafe for a delicious breakfast on every visit. Our server, Dora was awesome and friendly. Our 14" breakfast taco was so big my boyfriend and I had to split it! It was delicious and the homemade tortilla was fantastic. We will be back!

South Padre Island, Texas
“The best hash browns on the island”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We love to eat breakfast at the Grapevine. I usually get an "American" breakfast with eggs, bacon, and hash browns. The hash browns are superb as they are made from real and fresh potatoes. Absolutely delicious.

Visited October 2012
Homer Glen
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very gluten-friendly”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

In tthe past 15 years we've been here 10 times ... & always ate at Grapevine!! Imagine my joy when this year I discovered that they now have gluten-free pancakes (5 ways) plus many other items marked on the menu as gluten-free!! (I've known I had celiac disease for 12 years.) ALL their food is excellent and the wait-staff is very friendly ... our favorite is Dora, she's an absolute delight!! So, if you want fabulous food, whether you're gluten-free or not, go there ... just like Mom might have made ... steaming hot ... and delicious!! AND ... they have some booths with really neat "TVs" that stream news, show current & coming weather & have ads for other Island businesses.

1 Thank Jeanie P
Fatburnr, General Manager at Grapevine Cafe & Coffeehouse, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
I'm glad to here that you found our gluten free menu. We are striving to do more with our gluten free options like offering breads and more stringent procedures to prevent cross contamination. Hopefully, the next time you visit you'll find these things implemented. Thank you so much for your feed back.
Indianapolis, Indiana
“South Padre Island breakfast”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Our first morning on South Padre Island, we had breakfast at Grapevine Cafe. The food was delicious, especially the grits, and Cody was friendly and efficient. She had time to chat with us about the island and recommended places we should go during our stay. It was great to get tips from a resident. We returned for breakfast later in the week to get more grits!

Linda C.