“worth a try”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The menu is not extensive, but the ocean views were excellent, and the waitstaff friendly. The food was very good, and the seafood options were definitely fresher than a number of other restaurants on the island. You can eat healthy here, where it's much more difficult at many of the other places on the island.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Went to cafe on the beach for a Saturday lunch based on the many rave reviews, and was totally unimpressed with the food and service. Seriously wonder the quality of restaurants in SPI and reliability of tripadvisor reviews if this is the #3 restaurant on this site.

We ordered the steamed mussel appetizer ($14.95), the quantity of the dish was impressive, however, the mussels were swimming in a pool of clarified salty butter. The mussels were rubbery and overlooked, half of them did not open and not edible (I can post a picture from my phone later). Our waiter took the dish with in unopened not edible mussels back after I showed him the dish, 10 min later, brought them back -- apparently the kitchen staff just threw them back in the pan and rebooked them! I was pretty speechless at that point.

We also ordered fish taco, red snapper fish sandwich and teriyaki chicken sandwich. The red snapper was not fresh and flavorful as described by the many reviews here, just fish fillet grilled with salt and some seasoning, served with chopped tomatoes, cabbages, onions etc. Having had many fish tacos in austin tx and San Diego, the fish taco at this restaurant is pretty sad.

Maybe we should have just ordered cheeseburger and hotdogs, maybe this place is a great value find for happy hour, but we don't intend to visit again

1  Thank Bilbo C
tmetty, Owner at Cafe on the Beach at The Palms Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

I am so sorry your experience with us did not meet your expectations. As the result of your input we have made some changes. We modified our recipe for our Steamed Mussels appetizer so the white wine and herbed butter sauce is lighter and less salty. We’ve also reduced the amount of sauce so there is just enough to enjoy with the yummy Crostini served on the side, but not so much that the mussels are “swimming” in it. The kitchen staff has also been reminded to ensure the mussels are fully opened when they are plated. The portion size is a full pound, but we now add a few extra just in case one or two are too hard to open. This is one of my favorite appetizers here, so I order them at least once a week. I think you’ll like the changes we’ve made and I hope you’ll give them a try when you come back to South Padre Island.

I was also sorry to see that you didn’t enjoy the fish tacos and red snapper sandwich. Those are two of our most popular lunch items. The fish tacos are served in the traditional style in soft corn tortillas with grilled red snapper, cabbage, tomatoes and our own homemade chipotle mayonnaise. We offer this item with a side of our homemade potato chips as a special once a week @ $7.95, so it’s very popular. Having said that, I agree with you that fish tacos across the United States vary almost as much as individual tastes do!

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I will share your comments with our entire Café staff. We are always sad when we disappoint a guest, but we use those experiences to improve. We hope you’ll give us another chance to delight you with excellent food, great service and our breathtaking view of the Gulf of Mexico!

Thank you.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Yes, all of the tables are outside, but with the breeze and the views you will appreciate the outdoor seating. From breakfast (eggs Benedict any way you can imagine!) to lunch, to dinner, they have it all! I also love that all of the wait staff seem to fit the personality of the place...Happy, laid-back and fun. We loved it so much, we went there twice while staying on the island.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The food and view of the Gulf are great. I had the blackened shrimp tacos with a cup of Tortilla soup. My husband had a good red snapper sandwich with the homemade chips. The patio is open-air which is very pleasant on a summer evening. Unfortunately, it is a small café, and the tables are rather close together. It would be really nice if they could expand and provide a little more personal space for their patrons. Also, they only offer flavored teas. The addition of some good unflavored tea would be a plus for their menu. But, if you are looking for a good meal with a great view on a patio, Café at the Palms can deliver.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Nice place food was good. Try the peel and eat shrimp and oysters, take the wave so you won't have to drive back to the hotel.