“Ask the waitress what is fresh, and take her advice!”

Las Olas Restaurant Grill & Bar
Houston, TX
“Ask the waitress what is fresh, and take her advice!”
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I have been here before, and had good experiences, but my meal yesterday left a lot to be desired. Salad had bad, rotting lettuce in it, and I ordered the Red Snapper that I could smell before the plate hit my table. Order what they suggest; the prawns looked good, the sea bass smelled right at a table next to me. Most of the business must be for the condo's because there were only 3 tables occupied the whole time I was there. In a town with very little good cooking, this was a real dissapointment.

CustServProPeninsula, Manager at Las Olas Restaurant Grill & Bar, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
We apologize for past inconsistencies with the cuisine at Las Olas. Now under new management, we have reinstated a system of standards and staff training in order to ensure that your experience is as good each time that you visit. Our reviews on other sites have been very positive, and boast the fact that we are the only authentic Mexican restaurant left on South Padre Island. Furthermore, our pricing has become more moderate, so as to be more accessible to locals and visitors alike. One thing that has not changed, however, is the spectacular view. Next time you are in town, we invite you to try the new and improved Las Olas...

south padre island, TX
“Go for the view before the sun sets”
Reviewed May 14, 2009

First, you need to know to go thru the gate at the Peninsula park and walk over the pool bridges until you just about reach the dunes. Second, if you check restaurant.com you get a nice surprise deal! Third, we had a nice dinner here on the Monday night after Mother's Day. The view is lovely and you get to watch the waves from the Gulf of Mexico. The server was very attentive and provided excellent service. If he had spoken just a bit more slowly we might have caught the specials. The presentation was top notch! My steak was delicious, my friend's chicken entree was a bit dry and the duck looked good, but my other friend was too polite to give a full review. Last, note to the restaurant - 7pm is NOT the time to clean the floors of the dining room if you want people to come back, unless there had been a spill, we should not have seen a broom or mop until AFTER the doors were closed. This is not a diner or fast food restaurant. It is an expensive and lovely place, if they had not done this during dinner the "Atmosphere" would have been all five dots.

Texas
“Elegant, Delicious, and great view”
Reviewed July 19, 2008

Was there last night and the food was delicious. We had the lobster and it was a generous portion with 4 sauces. The menu is seafood with hardly anything fried if at all. They served complimentary spinach and mushroom cream sauces. Great wine, food, and service in the modern, elegant setting overlooking the Gulf. The Flan, advertised as the chef's creation was a work of art. It costs more but if you are here for a special event this place can deliver.

Prosper, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“be very wary of sales pitch”
Reviewed June 30, 2008

Even though this restaurant is open to the public, don't get suckered into listening to a timeshare sales pitch. The whole time we were here I felt like I was at a used car dealership. I think we had 5 different waiters/hostesses ask us if we were there for a presentation.

We actually went there because a guide book (can't remember which) said the restaurant was on one of the top floors of the hotel and that the view was amazing. Maybe I missed something, but it was on the ground floor and you could barely see the ocean over the dunes.

Food was good though. Ordered a simple breakfast and it was pretty tasty.

1 Thank ckastens
south padre island, TX
“Elegant eatery”
Reviewed May 28, 2008

I live here and it two us two years to discovery this place so if you visit don't miss it. It is expensive but very elegant and superb service and food. They won top honors in the World Shrimp cookoff but you have to ask for the recipe as it is not on the menu. Everything I have ordered their shrimp, lamp chops and steak and they are all great.

1 Thank pennycurry