All reviews bring extra towels individual owners laundry facility turtle rescue through vrbo wonderful condo memorial weekend beach gear condo complex beach bar beach front nature center port isabel would stay here again office staff late at night the north end
Reviewed December 15, 2013

The Tiki is located at the North end of South Padre Island, and is immediately on the beach. There is no long walkway over the dunes. The property is 40 years old, but is very well maintained. The pool is heated and open year-round, and the staff is very friendly.

We were in Unit 238, which was very recently renovated, and it was modern, very clean, well-equipped and comfortable. The owners were extremely helpful, calling us to be certain we made it in OK and that we didn't need any help. They provided excellent restaurant recommendations as well.

We will definitely return.

Room Tip: You should really take a room in the building closest to the beach. The other buildings are not as close to the beach and do not provide desirable views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank emichaeli
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We rented a condo in the Tiki complex from an individual rather than theTiki. The condo we had was decorated beautifully and very clean. It was moderately priced which was a very big attraction. It was also on the other side Clayton's, "the Biggest Beach Bar in Texas" so it was also very quiet. I don't know if it is different when you rent from Tiki itself but as a week renter I was a bit put out that we had only 6 towels and no option other than washing them ourselves to get clean ones. I suspect this is the pitfall of renting from individuals rather than a hotel. Given our rental situations things like service do not apply. We liked the pool at the Tiki. I seen a brochure that said 2 pools but we only found 1. The pool is on the small side but the water is warm and it isn't too chlorinated. We traveled in the off season so we were frequently the only people at the pool. Most of the people there are "winter Texans", which indicates they are also elderly. Going in the off season there wasn't a lot of water activities going on. This is a bit baffling to me because it was still pretty hot outside but we didn't see anyone swimming in ocean, horseback riding or really much of any actiity. At first I didn't think it had much of a beach by the Tiki but when the tide isn't in there is quite a bit of sandy beach area and it it quite nice. The Tiki is on the North side of the island and there are not a lot of high end hotels/resorts on the north end, at least not yet. ( I expect there will be some time in the future.) We did not rent a car (BIG mistake) and relied on The Wave, a free bus that is available to go on the Island and Port Isabel. The only things by the Tiki are the Turtle rescue place, the Bird Center and the Laguna Madre Nature trail . Turn out the Bird Center and Laguna Madre nature trail are pretty much the same. In fact, a lot of the trails that were once available at the free Laguna Nature Trail are now part of the Bird Center. The fee for Bird Center is something like $5. We didn't go when we heard the trails were pretty much the same except there were more of them at the Bird Center. So we spent a lot of time on the bus or waiting for a bus to take us to other parts of the Island. ( A car would have been so much better) All and all I was disappointed by they lack of things to do in the off season at South Padre Island.

We spoke to the people at the front office a couple of times. They seemed friendly enough though they did lead us down the wrong path telling us they would replace towels and toilet paper. They didn't replace either and never called us to tell us they were wrong and that it wasn't their responsibility.

I would recommend renting from Tiki if you are looking for moderate pricing but I would only recommend going during the spring/summer when things are hopping and if you enjoy water sports. Otherwise, the things to do and see is pretty limited.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank savytraverlor43323
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My family and i come to SPI every year and stay at the tiki which we USE to love. We skipped a year and came back this year to find it a wreck. First of all the lady in front desk should really check her attitude. Secondly like everyone else we were not given towels. We stayed in a 3bd condo so there were at least 6 ppl and hardly any towels. When we asked for more they said they didn't offer more. Did they forget that they're on the beach and towels get dirty and sandy very quickly. We'll thankfully we had our own and our condo was next to the washers so we could wash them. We were also told that we wouldn't get our deposit back if the towels had "damage". It's not like these are super nice expensive towels. We also asked for toilet paper and we got denied!!! Like I said 6 ppl for 3 days. NOT FAIR. I also didn't like that the pool area was not for food and drinks. It should be allowed because most of us clean and pick up after each other. We use to love the tiki with other management but now I REALLY DONT RECOMMEND THE STAY THERE!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Rosie C
Reviewed September 16, 2013

WOW! This is a great place, its an older condominium complex but it is very clean and well maintained we stayed in unit # 132 owned by Peggy Pichelman she owns 3 units on the beach front all are very nice and have been updated with new modern amenities and she is very easy to deal with our unit was on the ground floor only 30 steps to the beach and the Tiki condos are easy to get to right across the street from the Sea Turtle rescue center witch I recommend also.
I highly recommend the place. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Beach Front Access
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank David N
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The tiki is a great place to stay. It is right on the water & it feels like home! They welcome pets too!
The only thing I would say the need to update is their laundry room. To far & not noticeable for the customers.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple