“Return to excellence”

Peninsula Island Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We purchased this timeshare (June 2006) with expectations of a 5 star continuing experience. Some of the poor to terrible reviews in recent years will, momentarily, be a thing of the past. A new manager with reservations, the web, advertising & sales experience is what was needed. His information systems knowledge along with his on sight availability makes this resort a must for any visitor to the island in the immediate future. Our stay Feb.1st thru the 22nd, 2014 was enough to insure we have already made reservations to stay in our 2 bedroom unit during the same time frame in 2015. The pool at the Peninsula is the best on the island and without further adieu, we would rate this resort, likewise, as among the best on South Padre Island.
We are extremely grateful that Gustavo Diaz is aboard as general manager, so we look forward to forthcoming visits. As multiple time share owners, our above stated opinion is based on many, many, experiences. Craig & Charlotte McManus Davenport, Iowa IMPORTANT NOTE! IN INITIAL TYPING, I USED THE WRONG LAST NAME FOR THE GENERAL MANAGER. THE CORRECT LAST NAME IS DIAZ

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Craig-Char-Iowa
Gustavo D, General Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Mr. & Mrs. McManus,

Thank you for taking the time to write about Peninsula. It is very satisfying to hear when one of our guests is happy and had a nice vacation overal! The team at Peninsula and I are working very hard to provide our guests with a five star experience. Your comments are such a positive reinforcement for all of us, and truly encourage the whole team to aim higher. We are looking forward to having you back next year.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We exchanged through Interval International into a 3 bedroom, 3 bath unit. Large units and baths. Clean, looked like mostly new or redone recently.
We had a nice long balcony, and an outdoor hot tub on the balcony, which we did not try out.
Only real issue is that it looks like one entire tower of the complex has never been built, and most parking is about 1/8 mile from the portions that are finished. My wife had a handicapped placard, so we were able to park very near to our room. There were only about 6 or 7 such spaces...first come, first served.
Checking in with luggage is an ordeal. They had a bellman, and he would transport you to and from your parking lot. You could park in the handicapped area (when space was available) for 30 minutes to unload and load. And would transport you to/from parking until about 10 or 11 pm.
Good beachfront location, although it was the coldest week in history, I'm told. Too cold to spend much time walking the beach.
Within driving distance of most restaurants in So. Padre Island. We went twice to Daddy's, and I could have eaten there all week. There are apparently 4 other restaurants under the same owner very close.

Room Tip: I believe the north tower is mostly 3-bedroom units. The south tower is probably mostly 2-bedroom o...
2  Thank Alias1Illinois
Gustavo D, General Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about us. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to have you back soon, hopefully with better weather!

Gustavo Diaz,

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This tightly run and family owned resort is a Gem, that we find a privilege to be involved with by spending our winter months her.

The physical condition of this eight year old resort is good and when there is an issue a phone call is followed with an immediate response. We are familiar with other resorts on the island and everyone has to battle the weather eliminates. We feel as Peninsula deals with it as-good or better than the other major hotels.

The advantages important to us are:

1. Security of resort is excellent. Gated, parking lot located an adequate distance from resort, staff on site 24/7, cameras, alarms, restricted access to non-guests.

2. This resort is large enough to provide the amenities but small enough to get personnel attention from the resort personnel.

3. The staff is constantly searching for new ways to improve services. In the month of February 2014 new All Natural Drinks made from Fresh Vegetables & Fruit at the bar and nightly moves at the pool were introduced.

4. Golf cart service from parking lot

5. Heated winter pool, Hot tub/spa, restrooms & outside showers, Bose Speaker – Great Music
6. Restaurant – Bar – Pool Service – Pool Bar/TV

7. Located on beach with lighted wooden walkway

8. Bell Service – One call to the desk results in immediate help with your shopping bags to lunch.
9. Having outside entrances to your condo with the ability to come and go in privacy.

10. Having access to a fully equipped gym is a necessity and having on site is a luxury.

If I sound enthusiastic when describing the Peninsula it is probably the reason we have already scheduled our fourth winter rental for 2015.

1  Thank Arlan H

Dear Guest,

We greatly appreciate your kind words about Peninsula, and we also thank you for helping us to spread the word about our hotel to other travelers. It is always a great pleasure to have you stay with us every year. You have become part of Peninsula's family! The staff and I are already looking forward to having you stay with us next year.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We were presented with a last minute opportunity to get out of the Frozen Tundra. I took to Groupon Getaways to find a reasonably priced sunny beach location and found the 2 night Peninsula Island Resort deal. The pictures looked AMAZING and showed ocean views right from the hotel. I called the hotel directly before booking to make sure the dates/times would work. The woman I spoke to endured me calling back many times to re-confirm the dates BEFORE I bought the deal. Because I was flexible on dates, I was willing to do a Sunday flight & check-in. If I was trying to hit a specific date to match flights I had already booked, it definitely would not have worked.

When we arrived, the pictures of the outdoor views matched EXACTLY! The room set up was a different than the online pics, but still a beautiful room. Our check in time was 4pm, but we got there at 1:30 and they let us right in.

I've read some very negative reviews of this hotel and I was worried about some of the things others said so let me cover the top ones:

1) Parking was too far from the hotel. Wah Wah Wah...so you have to walk maybe 1/4 of a mile to get to the main building. We walked without our luggage until we figured out where our room was. After the 5 minutes it took to check in, we were asked if we would like a golf cart ride to get our bags AND we noticed parking we could have used RIGHT NEXT TO THE BUILDING to unload/load! We were blessed with sunny days, so the walk to our car was just dandy. Think of it as a mini workout and get over it.

2) The grass/dirt lot between the parking lot & the building looked icky.. Yes, it's dirt & grass and my first thought was "well, they could have made that look more appealing", but then after wandering the grounds, we found a mini-model of what the property is supposed to look like. That empty lot is going to be a 3rd high rise building of suites/rooms. The property was built in 2006 so it's still in development. I will forgive the work in progress. Now if we go back in 5 years and it's STILL dirt...then I will complain.

3) Staff was rude - must have been a different staff. Everyone we encountered was friendly & helpful at every point!

4) Room layout - Admittedly, our King 'suite' was an awkward layout. The bed was in front of the balconnette and there was a 3,000 pound privacy/blackout blind that required a bodybuilder to lift. The kitchen had a small 2 person table and a couch with no windows. At first consideration, it would have made better sense to switch the kitchen & bedroom, but as my contractor husband pointed out, the layout was to keep all the plumbing (kitchen, bathroom) within the same wall. Asked & answered

5) Refrigerator was small. I wasn't there to bring and prepare my own food. I've been to other condo/hotels with a full sized fridge so I could see if you were going to try to cut costs by buying groceries, you'd have some spoiled milk. But again, not an issue for me.

6) Towels were rough & water was hard - OK, can't defend this one. They were & it was. But look on the bright side...perhaps the towels were meant as an exfoliate and the water as a body polisher.

7) $30 'charge' if you didn't return the beach towel. Don't worry, I will return them..not worth the $30, but maybe that's the reason they picked that number

I was deliriously happy with our outcome. I always worry that the 'deal' isn't really a deal. But after checking the regular room rates, we indeed got a MORE than 50% off deal. Even if you include the non-refundable $40 room charge. You have to play by the rules (all the rules) and roll the dice a bit. But if you do some pre-checking and are diligent, it works. Will it always work? probably not, but that's part of the thrill of rolling the Groupon Dice!

I would definitely stay there again and now that I know what to expect, I may pick the 4 day Master Suite option that overlooks the ocean if it comes up again!

4  Thank Tina S
Gustavo D, General Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a guest feedback and for your excellent suggestions. These reviews are unfiltered and genuine and become a tool to help us improve all mentioned areas, and they provide travelers a realistic experience! I'm glad you enjoyed your recent stay and we would be very happy to welcome you back again.

Gustavo Diaz,

Reviewed February 11, 2014

After reading many of the negative reviews, I expected the worst. My husband and I were LOCKED into our reservation after our business plans had changed. With only giving them 3 days notice, we were going to be charged regardless if we showed or not. We started our 3 night stay on the wrong foot. It was then I started my search for reviews. From the reviews, I thankful knew and expected the awkward check in, and the long walk to the parking area.
I expected a run down, place with awful pillows, towels, old tube TV's and bad customer service.
Thankfully that was not the case.

Our room was clean, and appeared to be updated. We were in #604E, overlooking the swimming pool, which offered a very small portion of the pool being heated, yet appeared uninviting due to the weather.

We did how ever have a few issues, which were minor. The coffee was set up for only one person. One 4 cup reg and one 4 cup decaf, to use in a regular size coffee pot. We needed to ask for more coffee. Which the housekeeping pleasantly provided us with.The kitchen was set up for 3. Small tumblers for glasses.
The kitchen was without a window which included a couch, maybe would have been better used as a bedroom.

The room was fine after you got used to the lay out. One of the complaints I read was about the large window that leads to the balcony not having a blackout shade. In my case it did, however, it was very large covering 4 panes including the sliding glass door. The shade did not offer a choice to open unless the whole shade was open. I would suggest dividing the shade, to offer more options. And adding sheer curtains. This would allow the bed, which was also the TV room to be more private, while offering a small view outside.

The bathroom was very clean. The tub was clean enough to even take a nice bath in. :) Again, a strange set up for two. 1 wash cloth, 3 lg towels, 2 hand towels. One bath soap, with plenty of shampoo and conditioner, 0 hand soap.

The TV was a large flat screen. We happen to have some movies with us. There was very little choice for TV. Most channels were searching for a cable signal.. never to be found. The office offers a DVD player that we used. Normally this would not be such a big deal, however, the weather was awful, and we spent much of our 3 days in the room.

The bed was clean and comfortable, with plenty of pillows. Kingsize bed, only lacking a view with out giving up 100% privacy.

Spa and restaurant, room service.- We did not use. No comments.

All in all, I was happy with our choice to stay here. Had it been better weather, it may have been a better experience over all. The staff was friendly. The room was clean. Just don't expect a 5 star hotel set up in a new structure, and you will be fine. added note- if you ever have to cancel your trip for any reason, don't expect a refund. We paid under $100.00 per night.

Room Tip: Room 604E facing the pool was updated and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jaelene

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write, and for your excellent suggestions. We are working very hard to improve every department of Peninsula. Hopefully you can stay with us again with warmer weather and have a better experience and a wonderful vacation overall. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I purchased a 2 night stay through Groupon @ what seemed like a great price, except that you couldn't pick or see the availability of your preferred dates BEFORE you committed to paying for the Groupon! Well wouldn't you know it, sure enough I couldn't have the exact dates I wanted, checking in on a Saturday since I'm coming over 1000 miles away to check out the SPI area for the 1st time. So I accepted the next best option available, a Sunday check in, and was told I have to pay the $25 cleaning fee and $15 taxes up front during booking...hmmm?? I'm feeling even more uncomfortable dealing with this place & I HAVEN'T EVEN GOTTEN THERE YET! I asked if it was possible to be put on a waiting list for a Friday or Saturday check in if it became available & of course was told No, but I could keep calling back to see. I actually did keep calling back for 3 weeks, like a fool hoping SOMETHING would eventually go my way with this outfit, but of course I got nowhere. Finally tiring of this whole ordeal I called Groupon back to see if my situation qualified for their Money back Guaranty since I couldn't even pick my dates before purchasing & THANKFULLY it did & they at least have me a credit for what I paid for the Groupon! BUT WAIT! GUESS WHAT I COULDN'T GET BACK? The cleaning fee nor taxes I paid directly to Peninsula Island LAST Resort! Even though I canceled the reservation, thus they wouldn't be cleaning up after me.....I'm forced to pay for what..the non-existent Customer Service? Knowing they'll resell my dates to someone else and collect taxes TWICE when I didn't even occupy the unit? Is this legal? I'm going to check into this and telling the IRS and anyone else in authority who'll listen, but will DEFINITELY NEVER be checking into Peninsula Island Resort. I refuse to deal with such an outfit. I'll take my money elsewhere

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Angela S
Gustavo D, General Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Greetings,

We apologize for all these terrible inconveniences, and thank you for bringing this to our attention. This promotion was based on availability, unfortunately due to the high demand, many guests called right after they bought this deal and reserved most of our weekends. I am truly sorry you were not able to find the desired dates since we had most weekends booked. I do apologize for the misinformation by our reservations team that mislead you to believe we would still charge you for taxes and cleaning fee. It is not the case at all. I have personally checked your case and after you cancelled through groupon, we were able to immeadiately refund the cleaning fee and the taxes to your credit card. We have a great partnership with Groupon and we strive to keep everything as simple as possible for our customers. Please feel free to contact me at any time if you have further questions.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We had a little trouble finding the office but once we got there we had a good time. Only 1 incident. They had to come and get us into our room. They do need to do some maintenance on some of the doors so they open all the time. We had a quiet room where we could see the pool and ocean. Watched the brave little ones in the cold water. Too cold for us but we just wanted to get away from it all and rest.

Room Tip: All the rooms are located where you can see the ocean. Had to pay extra for spa. We didn't use i...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Helen H
Gustavo D, General Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Dear Helen,

We truly appreciate your honest feedback and would like to thank you for all of your suggestions. We have relayed them to our upper management and owner and hope to have good news to share soon about an upcoming door refurbishment. Thank You for staying at Peninsula and We look forward to seeing you again!