We got a deal mid-week deal from Travel Zoo and the package included a $50 food and $50 spa credit. Used both but they don't tell you the Spa treatments cost $100... food choice was very limited.
Long walk from parking lot, the staff was nice, but not enthusiastic. We were told our room was not ready for check in, we asked if we could just stash our luggage until the sheets and maid service was done... they agreed. We walked up (Elevator was inop or very slow) and found a repairman in the room lavatory. The towel rack was missing and he was cutting large holes in the wall to repair. We left and went to the pool. When we got back, room was tidy, but rundown and the drywall repairs were done but looked like a first time job that a child attempted. This was the first clue this place is not being maintained--look around everywhere and you'll find broken items, doors, pool tiles, window shades... it goes on and on. If a large upper end chain buys the place and with a facelift and good repair...it could be a gem.
This place was a ghost town, we saw maybe 10 other guests and no one during the limited hours of the on site restaurant.
Overall, not a 5 star hotel--maybe a 3+. It was nice "enough" for the deal we got. I saw a large For Sale sign on one of the towers--I think the bank is just biding time and no capital improvements are being done. AC was icy cold a night (either its on or off) and room had a musty smell, again, low upkeep and sub-par maintenance is slowly eroding a once 4-star hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled among the sea oats and sand dunes, and highlighted by the blue of the Gulf of Mexico, The Peninsula Island Resort and Spa South Padre Island, Texas is the perfect venue for a relaxing island escape. Located directly on the beach in the heart of South Padre Island's "hotel row", our upscale property opened in 2006, and combines the highest standards in construction with contemporary, tasteful design. The units are all well-appointed, and range in size from our very popular studio kitchenette units to our 3 bedroom/3 bath condominiums. With concrete walls, porcelain tile flooring, and leather furniture, our resort was designed to resist to mold, humidity and allergens all-too-often common near the sea. Our swimming pool is the largest infinity pool in South Texas, and features a convenient swim up bar. Each offers either a full kitchen or kitchenette, and everything else necessary to cook and serve a gourmet meal. If cooking is not your thing, Las Olas Restaurant Grill and Bar, located onsite, is considered by many to be one of the best restaurants on South Padre Island, and offers a variety of delicious homemade dishes available for in-room dining. All-in-all, the Peninsula is in a league of its own--offering the spacious luxury of a condominium, coupled with the service and appointments of an upper-tier resort hotel.In July 2016, we added 27 deluxe rooms, each room has high speed internet, two full size beds, sofabed, 42" TV with cable, and a minibar fridge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Peninsula Island Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Peninsula Island Resort And Spa
- Peninsula Island Hotel South Padre Island
- Peninsula South Padre Island
- South Padre Island Peninsula