Peninsula Island Resort & Spa
Super 8 by Wyndham South Padre Island(South Padre Island)(Great Value!)
$100
Comfort Suites(South Padre Island)(Great Value!)
$167
ComfortSuites
Pearl South Padre(South Padre Island)
$344
$239
$150
$136
La Copa Inn Beach Hotel(South Padre Island)(Great Value!)
$225
$239
$221
$200
La Quinta
Schlitterbahn Beach Resort(South Padre Island)
$227
$250
$240
Isla Grand Beach Resort(South Padre Island)
$319
  • Pool
All reviewspresidential suitelas olashot tub was not workingyour luggageonsite restaurantoff seasonmemorial day weekendbeautiful poollounge chairseasy beach accessislandspiboardwalksilverwaregulfrental
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I had purchased a 2 day stay from Travel Zoo which included a $50 food and $50 spa credit. We arrived at the Hotel around 1:30 PM on Sunday November 4th and attempted to check in early. We entered the office and we were greeted not with a welcome smile but almost like we were intruding. We were told check in was not until 4 PM. I asked if we could possibly get our room expediated and was told in a monotone voice they would call us. We noticed approx. 4 cars parked in the lot so I was a bit surprised a little more enthusiastic service was not offered. We received a call at 3:35 advising us our room was ready.

After arriving in our room the remote to the television was not working so I attempted to call the front desk. The office answered the phone but they could not hear from so after several attempts I finally went to the office. A new remote was delivered.

The next day we decided to use our food credit at the hotel restaurant. We entered at 9:00 AM and were the only customers there. Quite frankly, the coffee appeared to be several days old and was one of the worst cups I have ever had. The breakfast came out cold and tasteless. My wife remarked since we were the only customers there how could the food not be hot. Again, one of the worst meals we ever had. It was so bad we decided not to even use the balance of our food credit.We attempted to make coffee in our room but could not locate a coffee maker. Again, I went down to the front desk and asked if the room was suppossed to have a coffee maker and was told 'Yes'. I advised him ours did not. A coffee maker was sent up minus coffee and condiments so I once again had to back to the office and request coffee filters/cream/sugar.

The next day music came on loud and clear by the pool at 7:00 AM which I guess was better than a wake up call. From my perspective I fail to see the need to have music piped on so early.
When we returned later in the day our room was cleaned however once again no coffee filter/condiments was left.

Check out time is at 11:00 AM and due to a spa appointment we requested an extension. I was told we could have until 11;30. I asked if we could extend it till noon and was told I could but I will be charged if any later.

All 4 front desk employees I dealt with had the same robotic attitude and appeared to be annoyed complying with customer requests. Some other perspectives; Spa is not warm and the towels are not soft.

I come to the island on both business and pleasure and have stayed at many different hotels but the service here leaves a lot to be desired and it is without a doubt not a so-called 5 star Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank zaton2013
CustServProPeninsula, Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

I'd like to thank you for your frank feedback, and would like to personally apologize to you for the inconveniences faced. Though check-in time is clearly posted at 4pm, and you were accommodated prior to that, our customer service representative reps should have been much more welcoming. We will focus on retraining and thank you for having brought this to our attention.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was my Husband and I first time to stay at this hotel. The best part about this trip was that this hotel was right on the beach for easy access. We checked in to see our room and it was average. We have stayed in better hotels than this. There was rust everywhere. So we thought OK lets go get our stuff. The walk from our room to the parking lot is about 1 football field. The week went by and we were not impressed at all. We were ready to check into our other hotel because we decided to extend our stay. The staff (except the receptionist) didn't know any English. It made it really hard when we had a problem. Needless to say We agreed when we come back to SPI, we are not staying here. This is not a Five star Hotel maybe a One Star.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank texasgal23_12
CustServProPeninsula, Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

We appreciate your feedback, and thank you for having taken the time to post your review. While it is true that there is a space of land in front of our property, this land is where construction of a new tower is soon to commence. We do offer golf cart rides to our guests, and guests have the ability to park next to one of our buildings in order to unload baggage. We apologize for the inconvenience, in this regard. The walk from our parking lot to your room, nevertheless, is often a shorter distance than that of most parking garages to other hotels on South Padre, and your cars are protected by entry gates and video camera security.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Today is October 7th 2012...three of us checked in about 3 hours ago. We would like to check out SPI even with the rain but we can't leave our room because our front door doesn't lock, good thing we noticed before walking out. We've called the front desk and walked down there personally however approximately 1 1/2 hours later we are still waiting for maintenance. The hot tub is empty, the wi-fi sucks...I'm posting this from my phone....and there are ants in the condo. Yes apparently ants like the 5th floor. Do not even think about staying here, run as fast as you can.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank brady112000

We apologize for your adverse experience while staying at our hotel. In this case, the lock's reader system did require replacement of batteries. As for ants, you will find that our property is one of the most aggressive in terms of sustaining an effective extermination program. Previous reviews seldom mention insect problems, something that is often a problem with most hotels in the area. In our defense, we did tend to your needs immediately, and while we could not control the weather, hope that the remainder of your stay was favorable. Nevertheless, we earnestly apologize for your inconvenience.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

This is not a luxury hotel as advertised and is not worth $300 to $500 a night. We checked in, saw our room and the dilapidating exterior and checked out!! Do not stay here. The place is filthy and under staffed. Our room had black mold in the kitchen area and dirt and human hair in the bathroom. Rust everywhere!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Llnnx
CustServProPeninsula, General Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

We are sorry that your room did not live up to your expectations. However, in fairness, we had offered you an upgrade to a 3 bedroom unit, for the same price, in an oceanfront room.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

This is my 3rd stay at the Peninsula and always enjoy it. The pool is the nicest on the island. It's huge and just so relaxing. The bar and reataurant in the pool area is great. They bring the drinks to you while your at the pool. Love that the beach is just a couple of steps away.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mona956
CustServProPeninsula, General Manager at Peninsula Island Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

We thank you very much for having taken the time to share your positive experience! We are truly grateful, and hope you will visit again soon!