“clean”
Review of Casa Bella Resort

Casa Bella Resort
Ranked #29 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Very nice and clean hotel. Management and employees friendly and helpfull. Rooms were nice and pool was very clean. Would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family

Reviewed July 16, 2007

Called for reservation at 1100 hours then called 2 minutes later to cancel, I was told I could not cancel for any reason. The cost was $119.00. I will arrive on 7/15/2007 but will get another hotel if conditions do not meet my expectations. DavCanRun

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Davcanrun43
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I made reservations here on April 26, 2007 and cancelled them the next day. I had looked on TripAdvisor and found negative comments about this hotel so I called and cancelled and then called my credit card company and told them to be on the lookout for charges, to late, the hotel had already charged my card. I called the hotel and told them to credit my account and they did, only for part of the charges. I ask for a confirmation and called the credit card company and gave it to them, they said they would take care of the hotel and the charges. Good thing I have Discover and they have an area of the company that cares about their customers getting ripped off. I don't recommend this place to anyone, if you do stay here, be sure to keep an eye on your credit card charges.
I was also told that we could pull our boat up at their dock, we drove around to see and could not see where you could get to the hotel from the water, so good luck with this one, you will need it.

3  Thank TxPinky
Reviewed April 10, 2007

This hotel is an absolute nightmare! There is no question this hotel should be investigated for fraud. They are running a scam on unsuspecting tourists.

We arrived on Easter night and originally planned to stay at a different hotel. However, the hotel was utterly filthy and unacceptable and we left. In desperation we looked for another hotel and found the Casa Bella. It was very late, very rainy and very cold. We were tired and just wanted to go to bed. We walked in, inquired about the rate, and asked to see a room. The room appeared acceptable and the premises were quiet so we decided to stay. However, we asked for a room in a different location and were put on the second floor on the other side of the hotel.

Once in the room, it was apparent it had not been cleaned well, but it was a vast improvement over what we had just experienced. The floor was filthy, and included a bobby pin lying on the floor. Chicken bone remains were on the balcony. The carpet was stained and had gum ground into it. The telephone appeared to have been thrown up on. In addition, the room was devoid of everything. There was no clock, no tv remote, no information about the hotel or island, no phone books. We opened the drawer to look for the remote and found hair and another bobby pin.

Disgusted, we got ready for bed and looked forward to our departure in the morning. Turning back the bedspreads, we were greeted with hair and stains on the sheets and bedspread. Unable to leave (it was past midnight), we went to bed but did not use the pillows.

In the morning we showered. When I opened up the shower curtain after my shower, I was facing the toilet and noticed a crack in the base of the toilet. However, given the awful and disgusting nature of the room, I thought nothing of it. The towels were the size of oversized hand towels and so thin they appeared to be rags. Afraid they were not clean, I only patted myself dry.

As we were preparing to leave, we got a phone call from the front desk asking if we were staying another night. We said no and left the room. We had stayed less than 12 hours and between the two of us, we used the toilet three times. Stopping at the front desk to check out, I handed in my keys. I was never provided with any receipt.

Around 12:45 that afternoon, I noticed I had a missed call on my cell phone from the hotel. There was no message, but thinking I must have left something behind and they were letting me know, I called them back.

I was told that I had damaged the toilet and they were charging my credit card $150.00! I was absolutely incredulous. I told the man (Ernesto) that I had not broken the toilet, that the entire room was in disgusting condition and included not only filth, but ground-in gum, stained carpet, an untouchable phone, black marks on the walls, garbage on the balcony, etc.

Ernesto refused to listen to anything I had to say and instead talked over me. He told me that I signed a statement saying I would pay for any damages. I told him I did not sign any such statement and informed him I signed a statement that showed the cost and length of stay. Looking for my receipt, I then realized I was never given one! Getting no where, I immediately called my credit card company and learned $150.00 had indeed been charged to my card. I put the charge in dispute.

It was apparent to me that he is running a scam and charging unsuspecting tourists for damage he knows they did not do. I called the police to fill a complaint. It is my position that I was robbed and this hotel is engaging in fraud. The officer that was sent initially refused to take a statement, preferring instead to tell me this was my fault for signing a statement I hadn't read and stating that since I didn't report the damage, I was liable! I told him I have never, in fifty years of travel, done walk-throughs of my hotel room and reported damage! I finally had to demand that I be allowed to file a complaint and make a statement as it was not the officer's role to be the judge. It was not until I accused the officer of taking kickbacks in this hotel scam, that he let me make a statement. It is absolutely unlikely that my complaint was or will be investigated as the officer told me this was a civil matter. In my state, this type of fraud is criminal.

No one should stay at this hotel. They are engaging in fraud and running a scam on unsuspecting tourists.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
10  Thank gbrac
Reviewed February 28, 2007

Casa Bella Resort Hotel could be a winner, but it is not. I feel this way for the following reasons: it needs to be cleaner; it needs to have better amenities; and it needs to have better management. Let me explain:
Although the the rooms are fairly clean, the approaches to the rooms and the stairways are dirty, as are the balconies. The sheets are not always as clean as they should be. The towels are more of the size of a dish towel than a regular towel.

The complimentary breakfast is very poor and is provided in a very small area, only large enough for two tables of four persons at each table. There is no newspaper stand outside.

The management is is not properly trained in hotel operation. Consequently, the service to the customer is poor. The policiy pertaining to the payment for the stay is archaic. One is immediately charged for the total number nights that one plans to stay.

My rating for this facility is only two stars. There are far better places on the island to stay, and I will be sure to find one for my next stay.

4  Thank Cezar90
Reviewed January 13, 2007

This is not a Hotel nor behaves like one. Stay right next door at the Best Western that is cheaper and behaves like a regular hotel would.

Casa Bella claims they are a private renter (like a boarding house) and only responsible to themselves. They want all your money up front and according to them, "all sales are non-refundable." If you book for longer than one night and have a change of plans (i.e. death in the family), they absolutely refuse to refund any money. According to them, if you book 7 nights, you pay for 7 nights, whether or not you stay there.

Other Negtives:
Their WiFi doesn't reach the rooms, only the front lobby.
The front lobby is locked more than it's open so service is crap.
They advertise a morning breakfast but don't put one out (in the locked lobby).
Winter rates are double the going rates at comporable lodgings.

Bottom line, they only want your money and once they have that, won't give any back, for any reason -- you are out in the cold. They should be investigated for Fraud.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled solo
4  Thank WellTravelled440
Reviewed January 4, 2007

Manager does not tell late check in guests that the hotel closes it's doors at midnight. They indicate they place a note on the door to call a room, however, no notes are located on the hotel. When requesting a refund, they refuse. When requesting an early departure, they keep your entire amount of money for the entire stay. This hotel needs to be investigated for fraud.

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled with family