“Night time excursion”
Review of Louie’s Backyard

Louie’s Backyard
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At Louie's Backyard in South Padre Island, there is no such thing as a boring night. Whether you want to sit and chat with your friends, cheer on your favorite team or cut a rug till the wee hours, we've got you covered!
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Went the first night and had a bad 2 man band, but right next to the water. Went back second evening, and great band, but they stopped at 9 and then went to DJ which led us to leave. Had some peel and eat shrimp that were good, and the cherry bomb drink was very nice!!!

Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Two nights in a row, huh Sean? Thanks for coming by to enjoy some great entertainers! Hope we'll see you again soon -- we've got some wonderful acts playing this summer.

All the best,
Dan, Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (2,145)

Reviewed April 13, 2014

My fiance and I were in South Padre Island searching for a venue for our wedding reception when we stopped into Louie's (probably looking like absolute tourists, lost and baffled at the size of the restaurant!) when Paul swooped in and offered up "THE" table almost immediately. I honestly thought "Yeah, you just have a table in your section. I'm a server, I get it". But was AMAZED when he brought us to a table RIGHT on the edge of the pier overlooking the ocean, causeway, and beautiful sunset. "THE" table it was! He was sooo attentive but not in the creepy hovering way; he was a step ahead of is the whole night! Not to mention he was very helpful and funny.

We tried out the buffet knowing that was to be served at a wedding reception. For $22 a plate we were a little disappointed. Its all you can eat seafood, but being buffet food quality, I don't think it was worth the price. But being a server, I know its hard to keep food at its peak when its sitting under a heat lamp, I'm thinking it may be better when its served immediately from the kitchen. We did order crabcakes off the menu, which were alright. A little small for the price, but they were good.

The restaurant itself is HUGE and VERY cool! I'd love to hang out and listen to live music there some more!

While it was fun to kind of throw out droppings to the fish and watch them go crazy, we were a little freaked out when a manager came over and took the crab shells from the table next to us, and without warning, toss the shells over the pier, only to land on the deck below. GROSS and it attracted more seagulls!!

Overall I highly recommend the ambiance, experience, and Paul, but *maybe* the seafood buffet should be avoided for the best experience.

So happy to give you a visit worthy of 5 stars! Sounds like Paul really took care of you two. There's nothing like watching the sunset from our tables -- I'm glad you got to experience that. We're looking forward to seeing you again soon. Congrats!

Best,
Dan, Owner

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I just returned from a "get away from it all" kite boarding vacation to SPI. I felt very comfortable dining alone at Louie's. I got a great table on the deck overlooking the bay and the amazing sunset. Overall, I have a very positive experience at the restaurant with the notable exception that the grilled scallops were horrible.

Ray was my solicitous waiter. He did not mention the dinner specials. However, he did persuade me to order a Tsunami, a Texas-sized cocktail for $5.00. That kept me busy. I ordered the mesquite skewered scallop plate that included a free salad bar. The salad bar was about average. My entrée was a mixed bag. The rice and grilled vegetables were terrific. The scallops were both small and exhibited an off-putting flavor. They did not seem fresh.

With that said, I'd recommend Louie's for a leisurely night out for a group of friends. The restaurant is a relaxing venue. I enjoyed watching the sunset and the swirling mass of catfish waiting for table scraps in the adjoining bay.

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

This is the second time we have been to this restaurant. We had the buffet this year which had prime rib, crab legs, shrimp, baked potatoes, salad bar etc. it was about $20 and well worth it. We ate on the patio and the atmosphere was great. The waiter was friendly and was very attentive. We have been to SPI twice and have only made a repeat visit to Louie's!

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Louie's is a large bay shore bar with many levels, bars and places to eat. We ended up having supper in the large "Sports bar" Food was not the focus here. My wife ordered a fried seafood plate. She enjoyed the two shrimp but the fish was undercooked and she left it on her plate. I ordered the 1/2 rack of ribs. The ribs were excellent. Unfortunately, the baked potato was so cool that my butter would not melt. Disappointing. The room next door had a two piece band that we sat and enjoyed after our meal. Our advice, eat supper before you come to enjoy drinks, music and sunset.