“Great atmosphere & food & service!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Louie’s Backyard

Louie’s Backyard
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At Louie's Backyard in South Padre Island, there is no such thing as a boring night. Whether you want to sit and chat with your friends, cheer on your favorite team or cut a rug till the wee hours, we've got you covered!
Harlingen, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great atmosphere & food & service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

visiting friends, all went to dinner, place suggested....my first time there.
Loved the atmosphere, beautiful bay view; Had great waiter-young man named Steve who walked us through menu, made excellent suggestions--did not let us down...I loved the food, I opted for the buffet....wow!

Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Marikita, thanks for the wonderful review. We couldn't be more pleased that your first time with us was a great one! Glad to hear that from the view to the service to the food we did not disappoint. I will be sure to let Steve know about the awesome shout out you gave him. Thanks again, and we're looking forward to seeing you the next time you visit!

Houston, Texas
“Perfect Environment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

We decided to come here due to all the hype ive heard about Louie's in South Padre so figured we give it a shot. I got the buffet..and it wasnt as great as I expected..My husbands dish was delicious though he had steak which was perfectly cooked. Now onto the service...ive been to many restaurants in my life including 5 star restaurants in Chicago and East L.A. this past year. Our server Albert was amazing and better than most if not all waiters ive encountered in my travels. He greeted us with a big smile, made us laugh, was very attentive, not too pushy not too aloof just the right amount. He recommended a digestif after our meal and we even got the chocolate cake which we took home as it was a tremendous slice. Loved the fact we were on the bay and sunset looked amazing. Will definitely recommend to my friends and family and I want to say thank you to Albert and more importantly the owner as you definitely hired the right staff to make our stay worth mentioning.

• Visited August 2013
Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
We're ecstatic to have lived up to the hype during your visit with us, janiehosak! It sounds like Albert was an amazing server who went above and beyond for you both. I will be sure to let him know about this review and your sweet comments. He'll be so encouraged to keep up the great work.

Sunset, service, steak, seafood — we couldn't be happier to know all of these things came together to create a fantastic experience for you and your husband.

Thanks for recommending us to your friends, family and TripAdvisor! Please come see us again soon.

Houston, TX
“Labor Day Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We eat at Louie's Backyard every time we're in SPI. Food is always good, fresh and hot. The fireworks were spectacular, but I think this was the last weekend for them in the bay. Always a good time and meal for the price. I don't know why some of the reviewers talked about bugs (roaches). We have never seen any on the tables, but yes, we have seen them on the wooden fence around the restaurant--they are water bugs, what else would you expect. We have never ordered off the menu, so I can't comment on that. It is probably a little better but we never get past the buffet to try ordering. Worth it just for the all you can eat friend shrimp!

Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write this review. We are glad to be a must-visit spot for you every time you're here in SPI. Sounds like you guys really love our buffet! That makes us really happy, and I'll be sure to let the kitchen know how much you love our fried shrimp. We'd love for you to try something from our menu, too. But no pressure, of course. All that matters is that you keep coming back.

We appreciate the support and look forward to seeing you next time!

San Antonio, Texas
“Dissapointing :(”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We decided to eat here due to their advertising on the prime rib & seafood buffet. Very dissapointed in the food and very small "buffet". Yes it is all you can eat for $20.99 per person, but your choices are limited to about 3 tables. Their prime rib they advertised so much...was very bland. I did see a bug running around the "buffet" table but I assumed being close to the water, its bound to happen.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I will let the kitchen know you felt the prime rib was bland, but I'd like to know a little more about your feelings on the buffet. Were you most disappointed in the size of the buffet? How did the food taste? I hope you gave your feedback to a manger while you were in -- we'd be happy to make things right for you! It gives us a chance to show you, on the spot, that we can do better.

We hope you'll be back next time you're down here.

Austin, TX
“It's ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

The views of the fireworks and sunset was awesome. The buffet was typical- lukewarm and a bit rubbery. The top shelf margaritas were pretty good. Our server was very nice and made sure we had all we needed.

Visited August 2013
Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
austinamers, we're glad your overall experience with us was a good one. So great that you were able to enjoy the breath-taking views. I'm sorry we didn't blow you away with our buffet, but it's great to know your margaritas and service were top notch. We hope to see you again the next time you're in the area!

Thanks for your feedback,