“Cool little spot”
Review of Louie’s Backyard

Louie’s Backyard
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At Louie's Backyard in South Padre Island, there is no such thing as a boring night. Whether you want to sit and chat with your friends, cheer on your favorite team or cut a rug till the wee hours, we've got you covered!
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was in Padre for a weekend and ended up going here for the nightlife on both nights. The first night, the restaurant was packed due to the fact that there was fireworks shows so my friend and I ended up going to the bar. There were lot of tables but you couldn't tell if there was waitress or menus so it was quite confusing. We ended up going to the bar and getting drinks and the waitress finally came with a menu. They have a few appetizer-type foods in the bar area - chicken wings, nachos, etc. Once the food came out, it was pretty good. They do have a dj and some night live music and it does end up getting very packed by midnight.

The second night, we ate in the actual restaurant and we were able to sit outside with a view of the water. They do offer a buffet for about $20, which is about the same price as their main entrees. My friend ordered the buffet which had salad, crab legs, shrimp scampi, prime ribs, etc. I ordered a steak with shrimp and baked potato. Everything was good, and our server was very nice.

When your meals is done, the staff will throw all your food scraps in the water for the fish to eat. You can also throw food out to the fish while you eat. Not sure if that is really interesting but it does need to be noted.

Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

dawheat77, thanks for taking the time to write a review! I'm happy to hear that after getting a bit used to the crowd (there's always a big one with fireworks), you both had a good time. Hope to see you guys again sometime! Best, Dan, Owner

There are newer reviews for Louie’s Backyard

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Best buffet, music, and atmosphere on the island. Families are welcome until 10:30 or 11:00. After that put the little ones to bed and the party is all grown ups.

James, thanks for sharing! We appreciate the compliments and will see you next time. Best, Dan, Owner

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I recommend the $20 buffet that includes prime rib and alot of fresh seafood such as blackened fish, shrimp, and crab legs. The service is excellent and the view is amazing. We ate on the deck and watched the sunset over the gulf. During the summer peak season this restaurant has a fireworks show every Friday night at 9:15.

Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

mjf53, thank you for the compliments! Your buffet recommendation is excellent and we appreciate you for sharing. Hope to see you again sometime soon! Best, Dan, Owner

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Any where u go on the island for seafood is very expensive... so to me its worth the $20. I think the food is good, there are some items way better than others but one thing I do have to mention is the amazing cheese cake!!!! No matter how stuffed we are after the buffet, we still have to get it. To be honest all the desserts are really good. You must get one but to share cause they're big. My friends and I go atleast 4 times during the summer and planning on going this Saturday. Oh and if you like drinks get the tsunami its fantastic!!! Cant wait to go!

Vera, thanks for sharing! I'm happy to hear that you love our seafood and cheesecake. We appreciate you recommending us on TripAdvisor and look forward to having you back for another Tsunami! Best, Dan, Owner

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I've been to Louies about 4 times. The first three were below average experiences. They have a great location and killer views but the food tasted bland and over cooked. The wait staff has always been decent no complaints there. But I have to say when we went on 4th of July the food was great, decorations were fantastic, atmosphere was wonderful and the fireworks just set the whole thing off. $50 for a buffet dinner for an adult ad $25 for a child who can usually only make one possibly two small trips seemed pretty steep though. Just saying...

Dan S, Owner at Louie’s Backyard, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Kimberly, I'm happy to hear that your recent visit exceeding your expectations! We appreciate the compliments and your feedback. We're always striving to improve, so we'll keep it in mind as we move forward. Best, Dan, Owner