“Encore performance not up to snuff...”

Sea Ranch Restaurant-Bar
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Sea Ranch Restaurant has been serving South Padre Island visitors for over 35 years, and has established itself as the island’s premier dining destination. If you haven’t spent an evening at the Sea Ranch Restaurant, you haven’t truly experienced South Padre.Our menu is comprised of local seafood that is caught directly from the Gulf of Mexico, and it changes often based on what is in season. Every item is made with high-quality ingredients, from unbeatably fresh seafood to juicy steaks and hearty pastas. Start your meal off with our Ahi Tuna or Escargot appetizers, or try something a little spicier like our Stuffed Jalapeños. For your main course, pick from one of our countless seafood items including fresh fish, crab legs, shrimp, oysters, lobster and scallops. Our house specialty is the Red Snapper, which has become a customer favorite as well. If you aren’t in the mood for seafood, try one of our delicious grilled steak, chicken or pork dishes. We also have decadent pastas, from chicken or seafood Alfredo to Scott’s Shrimp Scampi served over angel hair pasta. No matter what you are in the mood for, we have a tasty, fresh option for you at Sea Ranch Restaurant.Seafood goes perfectly with wine, so we boast an extensive selection of wines. With over 122 choices ranging from $20 all the way to $500, we have the perfect choice to compliment your meal. If you have an event coming up, consider hosting it at the Sea Ranch. We can accommodate up to 77 people for anything from weddings and receptions to birthdays and meetings.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Encore performance not up to snuff...”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

After a wonderful dining experience at Sea Ranch in August of 2013, we had looked forward to another special occasion to mark by an encore visit. Well we decided to give it another try this past weekend. Not what we expected. To make a long review short, I will simply say, drinks overpriced and weak weak weak. Previous visit enjoyed delightful and tasty Pina Coladas...this time, not so much. A $10 Pina Colada should taste like a $10 Pina Colada.
The salads were fresh and tasty, I compliment the Caesar dressing in particular...
Soup of the Day was a tomato based seafood soup that was watery and tasteless, the same soup we enjoyed so much on our first visit. Maybe a different chef?
King Crab Cakes? If you charge $7 per crab cake...put some crab in them. Seriously.
Peel and eat shrimp? This was good, no complaints. Shrimp was fresh and easy to peel.
Our entrees included the Red Snapper filet, blackened with a rice pilaf that was quite good, though the portions were Kid Size. But the coup de gras of this dining experience was the Gulf Flounder, "cooked your way", well not my way. I asked for it pan grilled with the pecan coating, and got something that resembled frozen fish sticks...and tasted like it too. Almost 1/4" thick at the thickest part of the filet, how did they do it, with a deli slicer? AND my baked potato was cold...
Waiter was quite limited in his ability to speak english, which made it very hard to understand anything that came out of his mouth, and even harder to communicate our displeasure with our food and drinks. But got to hand it to him, he was right on time with the "suggestive sell" mentality, constantly offering this alcoholic beverage and that alcoholic beverage. After the Virgin Pina Coladas (and we didn't order "Virgin" Pina Coladas) how many times does one have to say "No!"?

1 Thank UltraKen
Bob F, Owner at Sea Ranch Restaurant-Bar, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
This is very upsetting for me to read, and I truly apologize that we didn't live up to your expectations. I don't know what happened on the evening you visited, but it certainly isn't acceptable in my book. I pride myself on the caliber of food and service here, and I assure you we can and do do much better on a regular basis. I truly hope you'll consider giving us another chance to restore our reputation with you!

Austin, Texas
“Nice Evening Out”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

food was very good and the service excellant. Little pricey for me, so that was our big night out that week.

Visited May 2014
I'm so glad we were able to serve you a delicious meal, and I truly appreciate your feedback. Please join us again sometime soon!

Bob Friedman, Owner
“Beautiful atsmophere and fantastic food, with great food”
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Delicious food and great service. If you want sea food the Sea Ranch is the place to go! I had the most amazing oysters I have ever had. It also displays art made by local artists and gorgeous murals and paintings.

• Visited May 2014
Bob F, Owner at Sea Ranch Restaurant-Bar, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Many thanks for this wonderful review, Savannah. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope you'll be back in to see us again soon. We look forward to welcoming you!

Andrews, Texas, United States
“Food was good and nice location”
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Went there with a decent size group right about the time they opened. They did not have restaurant open so they set us in the bar and it was still nice in there. From the table in the bar we ordered our drinks and food an everything seemed to be pretty all around good about this restaurant.

Bob F, Owner at Sea Ranch Restaurant-Bar, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Thanks so much, Timothy, and I hope we can welcome you and your group again someday soon. Your feedback means a lot, and I hope you'll let me know if there's anything we can do to perfect your experience and earn that final star. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Austin, Texas
“Location is the best thing about this place”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

I like the location and the atmosphere of the Sea Ranch but have never been wowed by the food. It is average at best. To go to a restaurant on the coast and have your fish overcooked is very disappointing. My $23 mahi mahi was tough as a boot due to cooking it until stiffened. They do have decent calamri and wine list. Perhaps go for drinks only.

1 Thank ahyden
Of course we want to wow you, and I'm very sorry to hear that your Mahi Mahi was overcooked during your recent visit. We take great pride in our food, and I agree that the freshness of our seafood should mean it's always prepared with the utmost care. It generally is, and I hope we get another chance to impress you in the very near future.