“Great atmosphere, not quite so great food in my case.”

Sea Ranch Restaurant-Bar
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Sea Ranch Restaurant has been serving South Padre Island visitors for over 35 years, and has established itself as the island’s premier dining destination. If you haven’t spent an evening at the Sea Ranch Restaurant, you haven’t truly experienced South Padre.Our menu is comprised of local seafood that is caught directly from the Gulf of Mexico, and it changes often based on what is in season. Every item is made with high-quality ingredients, from unbeatably fresh seafood to juicy steaks and hearty pastas. Start your meal off with our Ahi Tuna or Escargot appetizers, or try something a little spicier like our Stuffed Jalapeños. For your main course, pick from one of our countless seafood items including fresh fish, crab legs, shrimp, oysters, lobster and scallops. Our house specialty is the Red Snapper, which has become a customer favorite as well. If you aren’t in the mood for seafood, try one of our delicious grilled steak, chicken or pork dishes. We also have decadent pastas, from chicken or seafood Alfredo to Scott’s Shrimp Scampi served over angel hair pasta. No matter what you are in the mood for, we have a tasty, fresh option for you at Sea Ranch Restaurant.Seafood goes perfectly with wine, so we boast an extensive selection of wines. With over 122 choices ranging from $20 all the way to $500, we have the perfect choice to compliment your meal. If you have an event coming up, consider hosting it at the Sea Ranch. We can accommodate up to 77 people for anything from weddings and receptions to birthdays and meetings.
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stopped here after a long day of traveling to get to South Padre Island. We literally pulled in here because it was on the right side of the street and had room for our friend's motor home to park. The view was nice, the service was excellent. My wife got the crab cakes, which she said were the meatiest and some of the best that she had ever had. I got the coconut shrimp, and quite frankly was disappointed. The flavor and color the the breading was good, but the shrimp themselves were tough and chewy. It was almost as if the shrimp had been precooked without the breading, then the breading added and fried. I can't imagine them cooking them that way, but I'm not sure what caused the shrimp to be so chewy. Everything else was good, but when your entree itself isn't very good, it reflects on the entire meal.
This is a more expensive place than we usually eat so I was really disappointed when taking that into consideration. Fortunately, everyone else thought that their meals were excellent so I think I just got unlucky that night, which sometimes happens even at very good establishments.

Bob F, Owner at Sea Ranch Restaurant-Bar, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

I'm glad you happened upon us, and that the majority of your party enjoyed their meals. As for your shrimp, I truly apologize if you didn't enjoy the texture. I hope you felt comfortable alerting your server about the issue you had; we never want you to leave unsatisfied! I truly appreciate your feedback and I hope you get a chance to visit us again. I'm certain we can give you a perfect experience!

Reviewed December 3, 2013

South Padre Island ( SPI ) is a long where from anywhere, but caters to large loyal Snowbird, Spring Break, & Summer Beach crowds. Most restaurants we have tried while here for a week are really Watering Holes first & restaurants second. Have had some excellent Burgers, Nachos & Quesadillas! Had given up on excellent food in a quiet "fine dining" atmosphere with excellent service & where we could hear ourselves talk. Then we found Sea Ranch. REALLY A 4.5 STAR PLACE ... but TripAdvisor doesn't have that score ... & I reserve 5 stars for the truly "cut above places," of which ( naturally ) they are few & far between.

Bob F, Owner at Sea Ranch Restaurant-Bar, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Thank you for this, and I'm very glad you found us! We pride ourselves on offering a great atmosphere and excellent food, and we do try to be a cut above the rest. I sincerely hope you'll visit us again the next time you're in SPI -- I'm confident we can earn that final half-star!

Reviewed November 26, 2013

The power went out on our square mile of the Island this night so we went out in search of food. Not a lot of choices with the lights on so we were glad to pull up to the Sea Ranch restaurant. We were seated immediately. The menu looked pretty good and our waiter was charming and knowledgable. We started with crab cakes and calamari. Disappointed. The calamari looked like anemic chicken fingers but tasted ok. The crab cakes were so perfectly round patties that they didn't look appetizing at all. Like something out of a Banquet Chicken patty bag of frozen food that you pull out of the freezer when there's nothing else. Again, the taste was ok. My son had an expensive filet mignon. Looked great! No flavor. But our drinks were delicious and we never saw the bottom of the glass. Our server astutely brought me a complimentary side with my entree (Ahi Tuna, just ok) and that was the fresh made cole slaw. We have a winner!

Thanks for seeking refuge at our place, and I hope it will prove to be the first of many visits. I am very sorry, of course, to hear that you weren't very pleased with several of the dishes you ordered. I assure you that isn't the norm for us, and that alongside attentive service and a great atmosphere we generally provide our guests with a delicious meal. I hope we'll see you again soon so that we can prove this to be true for you as well!

Reviewed November 22, 2013

The food was awesome. I had the flounder and shrimp combo and the rice pilaf was outstanding. Our server, Joel, couldn't have been more attentive. We had a window seat which made the experience even better. The atmosphere was casual, but upscale at the same time. We will definitely return next time we are in Padre. The reviews of this place were right on the mark. Thanks, again, Joel, for making it an evening to remember.

I'll be sure to pass along your praise and appreciation to Joel -- I'm so glad he took such great care of you. We take great pride in the freshness and quality of our seafood, and I'm happy you were so fond of the flounder and the shrimp. Thank you for visiting, and I look forward to your next trip to Padre!

All the best,

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We were celebrating our anniversary and we were treated like royalty. We had champagne and the whole 9 yards. The server was very friendly and would do anything she could to
make our evening an experience to remember. Our meal was wonderful and we enjoyed the view from our window seat. The sunset is remarkable. A great place to eat.

This is a lovely review, and I'm honored that you chose to celebrate your anniversary with us. I'm so happy that we made it an evening to remember. Please come see us again soon -- you'll always be royalty here!

All the best,