We are giving this hotel one point for the things it DOES have - decent location and spacious rooms. It doesn't get the other four points because of the things it DOESN'T have, despite what their advertising says.
We visited this hotel the week of Thanksgiving, which we knew would be off-season. The hotel was undergoing reservations, a fact that they conveniently did not post on any web site nor did they tell us when we called them to make the reservation. Ameneties were limited by the reno work, and the hotel offered no assistance or compensation to offset the missing (but advertised) features. The bar and grill was closed, no happy hour. We spoke to them by phone more than once before arriving - a little disclosure would have been the reputable thing to do.
Wi-Fi is a joke. No electronic device could pick up a useable signal in the room, in the lobby, in the "business office" (more on that later) or at the front desk. The staff re-booted the router, which gave a weak but useable signal for all of 5 minutes before it was gone again.
The "business office" consists of a couple monitors. You have to sign out a keyboard and mouse from the front desk. No printer. Had to use the workstation at the front desk to print my plane boarding pass.
For every thing that the hotel advertised but did not deliver, all we got was a shrug of the shoulders and a "sorry". Nothing more.
Also, be aware of the hotel's strictly enforced 72-hour cancellation policy. Our original flight was cancelled at the last minute due to inclement weather. We immediately called to notify the hotel prior too our check-in time, but they stiffed us for the first night's lodging anyway. Again, just a shrug of the shoulders and a "sorry".
There are hotels up and down this beach. Don't mistake cheap for good - spend an extra $10 a day and stay elsewhere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to La Copa Inn Beach Hotel South Padre Island, Texas. Our beachside hotel across from Queen Isabella Causeway offers an affordable vacation experience in South Padre Island, with five-star resort amenities. We have Spacious Hotel Rooms all with balconies and most with ocean view. All of our rooms feature Tempur-Pedic(R) mattresses, HD Flat Screen TV with premium cable channels, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, iron and iron board, hair dryer and in-room safe. Other conveniences include complimentary High-speed Internet access and local calls. We have guest rooms for every taste, from standard king or queen beds to our three-room family suite. All rooms are nonsmoking. Our hotel offers an outdoor pool surrounded by a sundeck with a spa tub, chaise lounges, gazebos, and a walkway to the beach. For your convenience we have complementary Wi-Fi High Speed Internet access available through the entire hotel. A staffed activities desk to assist in planning excursions, coordinate sports-equipment rentals, and sell discounted tickets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your La Copa Inn Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western South Padre Island
- Best Western La Copa Hotel
- South Padre Island La Copa Inn
- La Copa Inn Beachfront Resort