“Good Stay at a Great Little Hotel”

La Copa Inn Beach Hotel
Mansfield, Texas
“Good Stay at a Great Little Hotel”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed at the La Copa Inn from July 8-13, having found a good deal on the internet. Given the wide range of reviews and ratings, I had no idea what to expect, but I can tell you the complaints were few and far between.

Our room was 321, and it was nicely sized for the three of us, with a sitting area and two queen beds. The room was clean (or as clean as a beachfront hotel normally is) and the AC worked just fine. The ceiling fan helps out as the room is pretty big, so air circulation is a must. The beds were comfortable. I think the only issue with the room would be the shower was a little hit or miss on the pressure, but I expected as much from other beach hotels. For the money, the room was a good value.

The breakfast was really good. For an added bonus to your room, you can’t beat it. Waffles, eggs, omelets, refried beans, salsa, cereals, muffins, bagels, juices, milk, coffee…I just don’t see where the complaints are coming from related to the breakfast. I will give you one tip. Get there before 9AM to beat the crowd.

We did not use the pool, but they have a pool, and a walk up bar/food counter with pretty much anything you want. We were too busy to use them, but the adults get a card for a free drink each day. Another great perk.

They are truly beachfront and access was perfect. We brought down our canopy and chairs each day, set up and we were good to go. It’s also convenient to any of the activities, restaurants, or shopping you are looking for, although most of the hotels are also, to be fair.

The hallways in the hotel are not air conditioned, so they do get a little hot and humid, and the elevators can be slow and hot. Also, sometimes you can have difficulty parking, depending on the time of day. Outside of those minimal inconveniences, this is a great option for an affordable beachfront hotel. I would not hesitate to stay there again, as they exceeded my expectations in almost every way.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank dasjman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
San Angelo, Texas
Reviewed July 16, 2012

First, the good: hard working staff- they were always cleaning and were friendly! Room air conditioner worked OK. Bed was tempur pedic- comfy and sheets were clean. Shower was clean. You could tell maids cleaned room, but you can only do so much with rooms that pets are allowed and where deep cleaning has probably never happened. Breakfast had a variety- the ladies making the omelettes did a great job.
Now, the negative: the hotel allows everyone to come in and out from the pool and beach soaking wet- which is why staff is always mopping, etc. slow elevators always had wet floors.
Air conditioning in halls and elevators is obsolete! Wet floors and warm temps make for a very muggy hotel! The owners have not done any remodeling or even necessary upkeep in what looks like as YEARS!! Walls, carpeting, fixtures... Look awful! Also, Wifi did not work.
There's no way I would have chosen this hotel if I would've seen it first. Luckily we were only there for 2 nights! OWNERS- you have a good location and good staff - work on your hotel! We would've moved to another hotel, but being a Friday, we couldn't find anything.

Room Tip: Ask front desk if you can view your room first. I was scared of what it would look like based on lob...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
15 Thank MirandaC911
South Padre Island
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel three times and they are very accommodating. We got there and asked for a 1st floor room and they asked if I could wait a few hours and we said yes. It was given to us. I had a problem with the bed hitting my leg and bumped it a few times. I mentioned it to the maid and she brought her supervisor in and it was taken care of right away. Anytime we needed towels they were alway available to us. There were two concerns from the 6 nights we were there one was the parking where there is functions. It is very difficult when we are wanting to get to our room before 11:00 p.m., the other concern was when we were getting to our room there was a van parked outside with some young kids and they were smoking marijuana. I was sure it was because I could smell it. The reason I did not tell the front desk was because they saw the car we got off of and they saw us looking at them. I did not trust them. It would be wise to always have security. Othere than that, we had a great time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

2 Thank Brenda B
Georgetown, Texas
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Let me start by saying that this is my first review of any hotel that I've stayed in. I feel compelled to give a warning to anyone who may think of staying at this hotel.

The front desk staff was unfriendly and acted as if they didn't want to be there. The room was clean and neat. The ac system in the room was poor. The room was at least 80 degrees during the day and night, and would finally cool around 6:00 am. The shower had low water pressure. The two elevators were slow, and just my luck, the main elevator, near the entrance, broke with my family and one other family stuck inside. The emergency button was pushed and took five minutes for the front desk to answer. I instructed the clerk to call the SPI Fire Department and let them know. The clerk stated that the FD was called, but they never called. After 15 minutes in the hot unairconditioned elevator, the maintenance crew finally opened the elevator door. The pool is a joke and is occupied by the locals looking for a bath. I would NOT recomment this hotel!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank W L
Austin
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Elevator was out the entire stay. Luckily I was on the second floor but it gets old especially when your disabled and cannoot climb very easy. Internet was off and on terrible compared to other hotels I have dealt with. Parking was horrible came back from shopping and all but 10 far parking spots were full and the website said they had rooms available I don't know where they would park. It was well over 100 degrees outside so terrible situation.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else kids or something running across the ceiling the entire time we were there. If y...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Linda D
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The title says it all. Two nights into a four night stay and we moved to another hotel even though we were not able to get any refund on the two unused nights (we knew this would be the case and still decided to move!). While the rooms have a 6 person limit in most cases, I think many families pack more people in these rooms which makes a small hotel with small, narrow halls and small pool even more crowded. Unless you have a room directly facing the ocean, your balcony is ultra small and almost of no use. There is nothing relaxing about this hotel, which is part of what we were seeking in our vacation. It's overrun with screaming kids and parents allowing them to run up and down halls and between rooms at all hours. The pool was not usable in our opinion. It was over capacity and completely foggy. There are several ice machines on the property, but don't bother even trying to get an once of ice out of them thanks to the cheapskates filling up their large coolers with the ice.

I will say that the room wasn't horrible. The beds were fine and the sitting area made it feel larger, but the couch was horrible... the seat back concaved in every time you leaned on it. The bathroom is roomy. The mini fridge was large.

We were trying to go on the cheap when we first started planning our trip. Unfortunately high season on South Padre means even 1-2 star type hotels are expensive. We learned our lesson to say the least. And the people checking out right before us (unbenonced to us) also moved hotels and ended up going to the same hotel as us! If you are looking for a somewhat relaxing getaway in a decent hotel, look elsewhere. This is not the place for you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends