“Great beer, so-so food”

Padre Island Brewing Co.
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: "The gastropub movement is well-represented on South Padre Island at Padre Island Brewing Company. Rotating draft selections include several styles of handcrafted suds; Texas Long Board Lager, Tailing Red Amber, and Speckled Trout Stout are among my favorites, when available. If you can’t make up your mind, get the “Sampler Tray,” a tasting of all five beers currently on tap. The menu is extensive—“peel and eat” shrimp, spicy wings, and fried calamari are popular appetizers, as are the chips-and-guacamole combo, ceviche, and nachos. The bar has won an award for its pizza, but I recommend the burgers. If you’re really hungry, order the Texas Burger, a double-patty, one-pound monster topped with jalapenos, mushrooms, and cheese. From the seafood menu, beer-battered shrimp is an obvious choice, and the tuna and flounder are also excellent." From Texas Highways Magazine, June 2015
Toronto, Canada
“Great beer, so-so food”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We went for the beer, and weren't disappointed. I had the Tidal Wave Wheat, and my wife the Pelagic Porter. Top marks for both. Also had the happy hour appetizers and shrimp tacos, but we weren't as thrilled with these. The appetizers were really deep fried (calamari, crab stuffed mushrooms, and crab cakes), though the red pepper dip was lethal! The shrimp tacos were far from the best we've had on the island (small shrimp, fried tacos), and when er go back we'll stick to their burgers! The beer is definitely worth a return engagement, and the service was good. We left at around 5:45pm, and there was already a line-up, on a Wednesday. Go early!

• Visited February 2013

Minnesota
“Wow! Cheap prices and great food!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had their specialty soups and I had a shrimp taco and a local beer. We found everything delicious and the prices were really reasonable! The waiter wanted everything perfect and brought out samples to make sure that we were pleased with both our beer choice and soup!

• Visited January 2013
Howard, Colorado
“Speckled Trout Stout is the best”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The wife and I enjoyed a great evening at the Padre Island Brewing Company. I always do my research before I go to a restaurant. This restaurant did not let us down. We had the shrimp basket and the combo basket. The fries were fabulous and plenty of shrimp to take home for another day. I chased my meal with a Speckled Trout Stout that had a chocolate/coffee taste which really complimented the deep-fried fish filets. Max did a great job working our table and took time to describe some local info. He particularly took time to answer some questions about the magnificent bridge to the island. You have to try the brews and food at the Padre Island Brewing Company - we will be back.

• Visited February 2013
“Beer and ribs!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Great night, happy hour beers, ribs melting in my mouth. The local beer was great! It was a unanimous 5 from all four of us!

Spencer, IA
“The best fresh cooked fish ever”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have been to this restaurant a few times over the last 15 years. Every time I have visited Padre Island I ate at this restaurant at least once. It has always been my favorite place on the Island for food and microbrewed beer. On my most recent visit in December 2012, it was a good as ever and is still my favorite restaurant on the Island. On the last visit I was here with my husband and mom and dad and sister and her husband and eight-year old daugher. We took fresh fish that we caught that day to this restaurant and they cooked it 3 different ways and offered each of us 2 sides of our choice. We also had a couple of beer samplers. The fish was seasoned and cooked perfectly. It was the best fish we have ever had. Even my husband who does not like fish actually would eat the fish the way they cooked it here. The side dishes and beer were also very good. The service was also good, especially considering the restaurant was very busy (it was a Saturday night). The atmosphere was a little loud because it was busy and crowded that night. I love this restaurant and can't wait to return the next time I visit South Padre Island.

• Visited December 2012