“So awful!!!”

Blackbeard's Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Austin
“So awful!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

My husband, daughter, and myself went to Blackbeard's on July 3 of this year, it was awful!!! I had the crab cakes, which looked like crab cakes, but I don't even know what they tasted like....lets just say out of everything we got I liked the texas toast, kiddie corndog, and fried jalapeno, which was free because we waited over an hour for our food. We will not eat at Blackbeard's ever again!!!!! And if you do eat there DO NOT order the prime rib!!!!!!

1 Thank MrsMommy316

Shiner, Texas
“Favorite Restaurant on the Island”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

My family and I vacationed in South Padre the week of July 4th.
We have been to South Padre six years in a row and have tried almost every restaurant on the island. By far, Blackbeard's is
our favorite. The seafood, steaks, burgers, dessert and drinks
are wonderful. We have never had a bad experience - don't
want to talk too soon!!!!! We are planning to visit again on Labor
Day weekend and can't wait to eat at Blackbeard's.

1 Thank texasgirl67
Temple, Texas
“Pleasantly surprised - great value!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

I must preface by saying the last couple of times we went to Blackbeard's, we were disenchanted. However, it seems to be a tradition for our family to eat there the first night we get on the island. Saturday night - June 28th at 7:15 and they seat our family of 15 in about 5 minutes. Okay, this is a first and a definite surprise! We're used to waiting about an hour for this place.

Our waitress wasn't excellent, but she wasn't bad given all the orders, and at least 3 separate tickets. She delivered all the food in a decent amount of time and all the food was much better than we had remembered. My husband & I shared the crab-shrimp-crab and a plate of cold boiled shrimp. We especially liked the crab stuffed shrimp and the stuffed crab. The salad was great, but I have had the watered down version mentioned before. My son had a the British burger and my daughter had fried shrimp, they both enjoyed. My other son had Fettucine Alfredo and didn't care for it. I tried it and it wasn't that good - stick to something else. We also had a bottle of wine and the bill was under $70 so that was pretty good based on all the other places I ate at down there.

Because my husband couldn't get enough of the stuffed shrimp, we went back on Monday for lunch. They had the fried shrimp basket for $5.99. We ate for around $50 this time and took food back to the condo for the next day. We even shared meals! So, they give you A LOT of food....

1 Thank patticakesTemple_TX
texas
“A Very Bad Experience--Not Worth The Money At All”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2008

We have not been back to South Padre since 2002. We then visited Blackbeards and loved it. We were very anxious to go back. We visited Blackbeards on June 25 after a long 8 hour drive around 9:00pm. I was VERY disappointed in the food in every way possible. First of all, our salads were watery. The ranch dressing was either watered down or the salad was soaking in water. We had a mess and a puddle in our salads. It was tasteless and disgusting. Our waiter could barely speak English so we got absolutely no communication or satisfaction. Our food, of which we had grilled shrimp and vegetables tasted old, tough, and everything was cold. The best part was the baked potato and that's not saying much. Even our strawberry daquari tasted watered down.

For the $95.00 our meal cost, Blackbeards............you have some definite improvements to make. I will not be returning.

Donald Entrop

McKinney Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do you like the taste of hair?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

We went to this restaurant after reading all the positive reviews on your website, The first problem occured when we ordered drinks. My wine came with a very distinctive smell and taste of dishwasing detergent. After I sent the wine back things just went down hill. While the busboys were cleaning the table next to us I was doused with a pleasant spray of the tea and soda from their table being thrown into the refuse bucket. Then I watched as the busboys jabbed the woman stuffed into a corner table with the end of their broom. After that we were served our meal. The salads were decent - fresh vegetables and lettuce. Then the main entree arrived. What a treat - two our meals had the added ingredient of hair. Other than that our meal was tasteless and uninteresting. Once we complained about the special secret ingredient we were comped the two meals. Usually a manager would come out and apologize for the error - not here - you just get free food, bad service, secret ingredients, and throw in a soda bath and your done for the night. The waitress was a gem and should be working somewhere where there is more pride in their product and service. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

1 Thank LollyLee