“Great Vacation Destination!”

Schlitterbahn Beach Resort
Missouri City, Texas
“Great Vacation Destination!”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

The resort is SUPER clean and attentive to every need. They have a great staff! Denise, the manager there was super helpful to get us into our room early when we checked in with our sick 3 year old nephew. The indoor park is not very big but it still has a great river. The little ones loved the indoor kiddie areas. The outside pool is heated in winter and has a great swim up bar. There is a shuttle that takes you to and from the outdoor water park and to the hotel. There is also a walkway tunnel you can walk to and from water park through there as well.
Whether you come with kids or just adults... this is a great Hotel to stay at. The food at the Hotels cafe is really good too, especially their pizza and I am a picky pizza eater.

Room Tip: Ask to be put in a room with a view and if you do not want to hear the kids running to and from thei...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Mike B, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thanks for the nice words and coming down from the Houston area to visit....

If you enjoy the easy access of the walking tunnel, wait until you see the newest addition to the park....the first underground waterslide in Texas....coming soon!! Imagine floating from the indoor park to the outdoor park.....

We look forward to seeing you again real soon!

Mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Reviewed July 13, 2014

To be perfectly honest, this resort has so much potential; however, our experience left a lot to be desired. Check in was pretty uneventful...courteous young man helped me and another helped with our bags. Our first night there, we decided to visit their Rooftop Restaurant. The view was amazing but it was hard to focus on said view with the swarm of mosquitos that almost flew off with my family and friends. Seriously, management needs to look into this matter as soon as possible! My son was almost eaten alive but oh well....we survived the ordeal. They prepared below average tasting drinks (my margarita tasted like pure mix - NO alcohol) and coincidentally, they ran out of french fries AND napkins when it was time to eat.

The next morning, being the troopers that we are, we did not let this deter our plan for a fun filled vacation! However, the very minute we approached the young lady (whose name tag read "Maricruz") at the desk - that was exchanging towels and passing out wrist bands - our experience only worsened. She gave me my five wristbands for my family and me but when it was time for our friends to get theirs, she VERY rudely commented to our friend, "why don't you let her speak??" (but in Spanish) when he tried to give her their room number. Apparently, he had committed a faux pas by speaking over his wife. We were all a bit shocked to hear her speak this way to guests that were paying good money to stay in their resort. I was taken aback and remained silent until I overheard her telling my friend (the wife of the man she spoke rudely to), "I don't know why he's so angry?!!" THAT WAS IT! I went up to her and respectfully yet sternly told her, "Are you really wondering why he's upset?? Seriously? Is this the way you've been trained to treat your customers?? I'm sure your supervisors would NOT be happy to hear that you're treating PAYING guests this way!" She started to argue and make excuses in an inept way to justify her actions. I'm sorry....but NO! I've been to many places - Canyon Ranch, Fontainebleau in Miami Beach, and many other resorts/spas and NEVER have we been treated with such blatant disrespect and rudeness. And on top of everything else, they ran out of bottled waters at the only restaurant/cafe in the indoor water park. Being a mother of three little boys, I prefer for them to refrain from drinking sugary drinks or anything with caffeine (which were the only options left for us). It wasn't until later that we were told that we could bring our "own" ice chests filled with non-alcoholic drinks and food. Being on vacation, I would really prefer to not have to lug around a heavy ice chest.

All that aside, the room was mediocre, at best. The bathroom was TINY. There were stains in the bathroom that we stayed far away from (which was almost impossible seeing that the bathroom was the size of a shoe box).

After an extremely hard year, I was hoping and praying to have a nice and relaxing vacation with my family and friends. Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend this resort to anyone. I should've listened to the warnings we had received from those who stayed there before us.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
8 Thank dagloz1974
Stuart B, Corporate Director of Resorts at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2015
dagloz1974,

Thank you very much for your thoughtful review. As much as we enjoy the wonderful reviews the negative reviews sting. It's our team's goal to exceed guest expectations and we never want to be considered average. We are working very hard to create wonderful vacation memories for the thousands of families that visit every year. Reviews like yours are helpful in meeting our goals.

Thanks again. .
South padre island
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Overall experience was great. Nice view from room, people were friendly. Only one issue and that was when asked to speak to the general manager who was on site left name and number twice he never called back. Other than that great experience. Kid friendly.

• Stayed July 2014
Mike B, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Thanks for the rating and spending some time with us....I have copied our hotel manager about your message as we try and make sure we contact our Guests as quickly as possible upon notification.

Glad to hear you had a good time and see you back soon!

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

Our boys ages 4 & 7 loved it! There are no bellhops it's all do it yourself. Hard to find luggage carts was a hassle with all the gear. Parking spots were tight. Room with 2 queen beds was clean. Bathroom was very small. Wristbands instead of room keys are great. No coffee until 8am so walk to sunset cafe on beach. Breakfast tacos in lobby grill were good but salsa too garlicky. If you don't have kids go elsewhere this isn't an adult "resort."

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Leslie B
Thanks for the post and the 5 stars! All of our rooms feature two queen beds or a king sized bed with queen sized sleeper sofa (no double beds here!) and the wristband technology makes the days of wondering "where the heck did I put my hotel key" over.

Depending on the time of year, we host families, empty nesters, convention attendees and many weddings...luggage carts and bellmen are available but it sounds like you were visiting during a very busy day so I apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused.

Our Seaside Grill (beachfront) and Loblolly Cafes are open at 8am so I hope you were able to enjoy the complimentary Wolfgang Puck coffee provided in your room before heading downstairs!

Thanks again for taking the time to comment and we look forward to your next visit.

College Station, Texas
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We spent the week leading up to Independence Day at the Schlitterbahn Resort on South Padre Island. With very few exceptions, our stay was perfect. We spent each day on the beach and/or doing other activities, and then hit the waterpark in the afternoon to cool off.

We arrived almost two hours early, so all the rooms were not ready yet. We were booked for a beach front room, and asked for a room that was quiet and had the best view possible. Rooms were ready on the second and fourth floor, but the girl checking us in suggested that we not choose a fourth floor room since that would put a restaurant right over our heads – good idea. We went with the second floor. When we got to our room and opened the curtains to see the beach, a family at the small beach pool looked right up at us; good view, but not very private. And HERE is what makes this place great… We went back down to the front desk, told the girl our issues, and SHE walked to the front building to find a third floor room that was ready! We ended up in 341 and it was great. Since the restaurant is not open every day, and it closes at 10:00, staying on the fourth floor would probably have been just fine.

The room was very clean and seemed to be newly renovated. None of the furniture, trim work, or paint had any blemishes, and the repurposed pine trim and furniture was nice and appreciated. We asked our housekeeper for extra towels (three girls…) and regular coffee packets on the first day, and she dutifully continued this throughout our stay without us asking again. The room smelled fresh and clean; it didn’t have that musty smell that so many beach front rooms have. Our beds and pillows were very comfortable.

We ate at the Shrimp Haus, Seaside Grill, and Sea-4-Ever restaurants while we were there, and we enjoyed all of them. The much hyped all-you-can-eat salad bar at the Shrimp Haus was somewhat underwhelming, but everything was fresh; the shrimp plates we ordered were excellent. Service at the Seaside Grill (really more of a bar) was predictably slow, but the food was tasty. The drinks from this bar were always great.

We went bay fishing on our last full day. The guide told us that most restaurants on the island would cook the fish we caught. Since we hadn’t eaten at the Sea-4-Ever restaurant on the top of the front building, we really wanted to try it out. Not wanting to show up with a bag of raw fish, and be turned away, I called the front desk to make sure this restaurant would cook the fish for us. They sent me to Debbie; she is apparently in charge of all the restaurants. Debbie told me that they would normally send us to the Shrimp Haus restaurant, but since we wanted to try the other place, she would make sure they prepared our fish for us. When we arrived, I gave the fish to the hostess and told her what Debbie had said. When the waiter arrived, he was aware of the fish, we discussed how they might be prepared and gave him our drink order. He came back with ideas for our fish and took the rest of our order. Service at this restaurant was particularly slow. You might want to consider this if you’re going to be in a hurry. We were certainly not in a hurry. The view and cool breezes (it is open air) were fantastic. And, our fish? It was SO far above what we expected! Not only did the chefs prepare it perfectly, but they made two large platters with different rice and vegetables. From the special accommodations to the incredible food – another example of Schlitterbahn going out of there way!
The only serious knock that we could come up with is the check-in process. Especially if you are staying in the front building and have a lot of luggage, a bellman (or at least a cart) is a must. When we checked in there was only one bellman, and (as near as I could tell) only two other luggage carts. We waited about an hour for any of them to be available, then gave up and started carrying our luggage to the room by hand. During my second trip, one of our girls snagged a cart. For the number of rooms, the size of the facility, and the price, I am disappointed that Schlitterbahn doesn’t have a number of bellmen, or at least eight to ten luggage carts for the guests to use.

Overall, the cart issue was soon forgotten and we had a WONDERFUL time. A special thanks to Denise, Debbie, Dora, and Sarah for going way above and beyond to make sure we had a special vacation!

Room Tip: The beachfront second floor windows on the right side (facing the beach) seem very close to the pool...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank MkBibble
Mike B, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thanks for staying with us and taking the time to post such a thoughtful and comprehensive review.

We strive to exceed Guest expectations and to provide a relaxing, complete vacation experience. You're at the beach, so slow down and enjoy!

The "little" things that are often overlooked are things we try and make sure are always attended to as they can leave a lasting impression of our sincerity of treating all of Guests special.

As the newest and largest beachfront property on South Padre Island, you can rest assured we are always looking for ways to improve and appreciate you mentioning the positives and the items where we can still improve.

We hope to see you back again real soon!

Thanks again,
Hartly, Delaware
Reviewed July 4, 2014

This place is for the birds. Average accomodations at best and wayyyyyyy overpriced. Forced to get a waterpark pass, even if you dont use it. The person wanting to stay and enjoy south Padre, this is not the place for you. The wealthy person with lots of kids or grand kids, this is the place for you. Bring LOTS of money, cause you will need it. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank mike c
Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, located beachfront on the beautiful Gulf waters is comparably priced to other full-service hotels on the Island and waterpark admission (at savings of 40%-70%) is a perk the overwhelming majority of Guests appreciate.

We feature thick, plush Denver mattress, high thread count linens and the use of repurposed Loblolly Pines throughout the property lend a unique feel to the resort. They are even used as nightstands and picnic tables!

Sorry you were unable to appreciate these unique amenities during your stay and others, such as Wolfgang Puck coffee, extended ride time for resort Guests at the indoor park, multiple on-site restaurants and more.

South Padre Island, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Okay, first of all, hotel is great for the kids! We had a great time at the water park and the environment is without a doubt family friendly.

However, it doesn't quite live up to the title "resort". Check in is at 4, rather than the standard 3 for most hotels/resorts, we arrived after 5 and room still not ready. Hotel lobby was average at best. Get 10 people in there and forget it, no where to sit or stand. Staff was young and untrained. Service was average. When you say resort I think if I call for towels, I expect to get them within 15 minutes or so, especially for $300+ per night...never came. When you say "resort" and I call for plates at 10:30pm, I don't expect you to tell me there are "no plates available anywhere on the property". Are you kidding me! Lol Rooms were nice, but seemed somewhat dated. They advertise as the "newest resort on the island", that doesn't mean modern, trust me; it's still old.

All in all the experience was good, and we probably we would come back for the kids sake. This is not a place I would stay without kids; "FAMILY" fun is the only reason to come here. If that's why you're coming, you have made a good choice. If you're coming for a "resort" experience or any other reason, choose somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank John M
Mike B, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thanks for the review and glad to hear the positive comments and appreciate your thoughts on areas we can look to improve.

While the lobby is not extremely large, we preferred to focus our attention during construction in 2012 to creating more space for Guests in the areas they want to be....the waterpark, restaurants and carousel areas. We did utilize Loblolly Pines, black walnut and other repurposed woods to create a "forest meets the beach" feel in the lobby, complete with a large aquarium.

We proudly host a great diversity of people at the resort and offer five distinct meeting areas around the property as well, so there are many times where the overwhelming amount of folks are here for conventions (with or without families coming along).

I have shared your comments with the appropriate department heads to ensure your concerns are addressed immediately.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide your feelings on your recent visit and we hope to see you again real soon with another review that is a 4 or 5 star like so many others.

Thanks,