“Overall Great Stay-kinks were minor”

Schlitterbahn Beach Resort
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed from Sunday through Wed, then moved to other island hotel for a change of pace.

It was difficult dealing with reservations at Schlitterbahn. I was quoted one price on line, another in a confirmation email, and yet a third by customer service. No real answer as to if the waterpark was included in the rate. With a family of four this was a hundred plus a day issue. Check in was slow as the clerk could not figure our rate out and had to call a manager over. We were charged yet another rate but one that was pretty reasonable.

After that it was largely a blast with nothing but good experiences. The bell hop and the bartender at the Palapa bar quickly turned any frustrations around by giving great service. We loved the ability to walk out and get into the indoor water park immediately. The extended hours were great as the kids(10 and 12) could ride the indoor water slides for an hour with no lines.

We ate at every food venue here. The Shrimp Haus is the best(but we have been eating there since before it was part of the resort). The Sea4ever has a great view for drinks and appetizers but the food was a little bland and overcooked for our taste. Overall the prices were in line with what you will be charged anywhere decent on the island and certainly less than other resort areas.

The big waterpark was an easy five minute walk through the tunnel. It was not my cup of tea although I liked the bartender at Bob's. The kids had fun with the rides. I thought the river was better in the indoor park than the outdoor.

All in all it was a fun four days/three nights and we will return. I do hope the resort improves the front desk as they are the worst part of dealing with the hotel. One last issue-We arrived on the island earlier than expected so we called the hotel to ask if we could check in early or if we needed to kill a couple of hours-according to the "front desk", that information could not be given over the phone we would need to come to the resort to see if our room was available. Again nice stay we will be back.

1  Thank Abogadodave
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Hotel. I am glad that you and your family had such a great time at both parks, I hope your children used the Boogie Bahn for the extended hour as well. If not you'll just have to bring them back for another visit.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Lee Ann informed us at check-in that we would not receive a roll away bed, as promised when we made our initial reservation. We would have continued the 3rd day of our 5 day vacation at Holiday Express, instead of coming here, had we known there would be no roll away bed available. No other accommodations were made to handle this mistake, therefore, my husband slept on the floor. He doesn't do this at home, much less on a vacation. The 2nd, and last night, we did receive a roll away bed. I guarantee they will still charge us, as we inquired how this would be handled and were told she would look into it later. Wow! Did she have to sleep on the floor last night? We don't have a ton of money, we are a party of 5, and are not high maintenance by any means. However, I am spreading the word on service (mgr on duty) and accommodations, so others will be informed. The bellman, David, was awesome in providing us whatever we needed! Kudos to him for handling things right then, instead of giving scripted excuses, like the manager on duty. I hate to sound harsh, but my husband slept on the dang floor!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Aggiecathi

My apologies for your husband having to sleep on the floor for the first night of your stay. We do have several Roll-A-Ways in the Hotel but they are on a first come first served basis. We are happy to put a request in the system for you, but we do not guarantee them. Thank you for the comments about David our bellman, I will make that he gets recognized.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

The Schlitterbahn Beach Resort was great! Our family of 4 stayed for 2 nights in a Premier Double Queen room in August 2013. We arrived quite early on our first day to take advantage of the waterpark and was pleasantly surprised when our room was ready and we were allowed to check-in early. That was a huge bonus! There is also parking reserved just for resort guests which adds to the safety and security of your stay.
Regarding the room: Decently spacious with 2 queen beds and regular amenities (TV, fridge, micro, iron & board, blow dryer, etc.). The actual bathroom area was small but it wasn't a problem for us (as some reviews stated it was). The room and hotel were accented with unique pine furniture which was pleasant. Housekeeping knocks on your door and politely asks if you need your room cleaned which I thought was odd as they tidied up as we tried to get ready for our day.
Regarding the resort: There are several restaurants available within the resort and waterpark with decent food prices, good food, and the choice to charge to your room which is very convenient. The breakfast tacos from the Loblolly restaurant (in the resort lobby) seem a bit overpriced but they are very large and delicious (each taco is really 2 tacos in a huge tortilla). Another great feature are the wristbands, one for park admission and one which serves as your room key so that you can enjoy your time in the parks without worrying about money or keys (room charge option and wristband room key). They only awkward situation is how pool towels are handled. You have to check them out and then return them by a certain time or fees can be assessed. I am not sure if there is a simpler system, but what is in place seems inefficient.
Regarding the waterparks: There is now an indoor waterpark in addition to the original waterpark which is a huge plus. It appears that they are continuing to add to the park from some of the construction that was visible, but not at all inconvenient. There is a walkway connecting both parks. The indoor waterpark has a small kiddie section, 2 good slide rides, and the Torrent River which is the highlight of the indoor park. The outdoor park has been upgraded with many new rides which are all good. The Tempest was my husband's favorite as it was the one with the biggest thrill factor in the entire park. We also made use of the First Aid area when my husband had a minor toe issue and they were very helpful.
Overall, our stay was great and very convenient! Every employee was kind and courteous which made our mini-vacation very pleasant. If the price is right, we will definitely return!

Room Tip: Our room was close to the elevator on the 5th floor and it was great!
3  Thank judydenise

We appreciate the great review. You seem to have received the full "Schlitterbahn Experience" during your stay. We are looking at ways to make our pool towel process better for our guests. The Tempest seems to be the favorite in my family as well.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Overall had a great time! We stayed here and our two young teens loved it. The waterpark was great, but the resort needs to improve some of their policy and procedures. Check in was ok. The two front desk ladies were not friendly. The room was clean but just an average room with ocean front view, (no balconies) and had no privacy to change inside. There was no door to the vanity for my wife to change and the only door to be closed was to the very very small bathroom and shower. Housekeeping left us three large towels and one wash cloth (for 4). I had to find housekeeping each day to get soap and shampoo as they never stocked our room after the first day. They should realize you tend to take more showers at the beach. The elevators were very slow. The staff at the bars were never very friendly either and it was not real busy. Some of these workers acted like they did not want to be there or work! They gave each of us a water proof wrist band that was our keys to the room (pretty cool). But you had to wear the duration of the stay and anywhere you went off the property, plus every day you had to go to the front desk and get another wrist band for the water park. If you were not there by 8am you were standing in long lines waiting for your bands! And as I picked them up for my family I was reminded each morning that if they were lost I would have to pay $30.00 for each replacement. It seemed they were more concerned about telling guest about the penalties of the property than the benefits. The food at the restaurants was good and reasonably priced (breakfast/lunch) and the staff was better and friendlier. We went off the property for dinners. As for the two water parks, they were great and there are plenty of life guards who seemed to be the most friendly and helpful when approached. Guest at the resort get an extra hour before @ 9am and after @ 8pm at the resort waterpark only and not the main waterpark. The front desk did not allow quick check out on the last day so you had to wait again in long lines if you wanted a copy of your bill. It would have been a much better experience (hotel stay) if our one resort wrist band worked for the waterparks, They had better privacy in rooms, better housekeeping and more helpful and friendly staff. Overall though we probably would stay here again just because our teens loved it. The things you do for your kids!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Hotel. I will pass along your comments to all of our Departments at the hotel for review. I look forward to having you back, so you can see our improvements.

Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We had a great time at the resort. The extra hour in the morning and evening was a great time to ride the indoor slides and river. The beach was clean and beautiful. Overall it is a great place for families to enjoy time together for a few days.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Jenn2288
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. The "Exclusive RIde Time" for resort guests only is a great benefit. We also keep the World Famous Boogie Bahn open for an extra hour at the outdoor park for Resort Guests only to ride. We look forward to having you and your family return to us on your next vacation to South Padre Island.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We recently stayed here four nights. We got here a little before 4:00, and we were able to check-in and go to our room right-a-way. We didn't have to wait for check-in, but it would have been nice if the front desk could give you a little information about the resort, restaurants, services, etc... Basically, she swipes your credit cards, puts on your bracelets, and sends you on your way. Nothing more. They look too busy to do anything else. The lobby is relatively small, and there is a constant flow of people. I know Schlitterbahn isn't Disney World, but, at Disney, they give you a packet with resort info and address any questions when you check-in.

We had a standard queen room, and it was nice. I liked the fact that there is a safe to lock up your valuables. Beds were comfortable, and there is a nice sized table with two chairs. There is a microwave and refrigerator in the room; our refrigerator wasn't working when we got there. Maintenance thawed it, and it was fine after that. The bathroom is so tiny that it's hard to close the door. It would be great if they would add an extra clothes line in the bath tub, as I have seen at other hotels. You end up with a a lot of wet clothes, and no place to put them to hang dry.

It's very convenient to stay at the hotel if you're visiting Schlitterbahn. You can charge to room so you don't have to worry about carrying cash or credit cards around. The indoor waterpark opens early and stays open later for guests. It's isn't as busy during these times. It's easy to go to your room and relax when you're tired. We would take breaks and do different things during the day, and come back at night. The tunnel to the main park is open too, which makes it easy to travel between the parks. There are several restaurants to eat at in the resort. We tried the Seaside Grill, and it was decent. The beach access is a big plus, as well. We didn't spend as much time at the beach as I had imagined, since my son absolutely loved the water park.

Last, check-out could be faster. They are very busy with people checking in and out, and giving out new bracelets for the returning visitors. We waited in a line for a good ten minutes. When it was our turn, the front desk attendant decided to stop and go to a side line, and put bracelets on at least 10-15 people which made our wait even longer. Also, they could give a better itemization of extra charges. It's itemized, but your extra charges are mixed in with the standard room charges.

All in all, we had a good visit. I could see some room for improvement, mainly at the front desk. They need more people to assist, and more space would be nice. However, in the eyes of my 6 year-old it was "best hotel in the world".

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ja_Brett
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We do try to give our guests the information upon check in about the hotel, and my apologies for them not being clear with you about this. I'm glad that you and your family had a great time, and please tell your child that we think he's "the best six year old in world!"

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Overall, it was very nice. I have 5, 4 and 2year old. It was perfect place for the little kids. One thing, When you borrow beach towel make sure return it. I left in the room and when we got back, house keeper clean our room and took all the towels. If you don't return it they charge $20 each. Kids had blast!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank luluh867
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Thank you for the great review. I'm glad to hear that you and you your children had a great time.