“Excellent Waterpark! Average Resort!”

Schlitterbahn Beach Resort
Bulverde, United States
“Excellent Waterpark! Average Resort!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Overall had a great time! We stayed here and our two young teens loved it. The waterpark was great, but the resort needs to improve some of their policy and procedures. Check in was ok. The two front desk ladies were not friendly. The room was clean but just an average room with ocean front view, (no balconies) and had no privacy to change inside. There was no door to the vanity for my wife to change and the only door to be closed was to the very very small bathroom and shower. Housekeeping left us three large towels and one wash cloth (for 4). I had to find housekeeping each day to get soap and shampoo as they never stocked our room after the first day. They should realize you tend to take more showers at the beach. The elevators were very slow. The staff at the bars were never very friendly either and it was not real busy. Some of these workers acted like they did not want to be there or work! They gave each of us a water proof wrist band that was our keys to the room (pretty cool). But you had to wear the duration of the stay and anywhere you went off the property, plus every day you had to go to the front desk and get another wrist band for the water park. If you were not there by 8am you were standing in long lines waiting for your bands! And as I picked them up for my family I was reminded each morning that if they were lost I would have to pay $30.00 for each replacement. It seemed they were more concerned about telling guest about the penalties of the property than the benefits. The food at the restaurants was good and reasonably priced (breakfast/lunch) and the staff was better and friendlier. We went off the property for dinners. As for the two water parks, they were great and there are plenty of life guards who seemed to be the most friendly and helpful when approached. Guest at the resort get an extra hour before @ 9am and after @ 8pm at the resort waterpark only and not the main waterpark. The front desk did not allow quick check out on the last day so you had to wait again in long lines if you wanted a copy of your bill. It would have been a much better experience (hotel stay) if our one resort wrist band worked for the waterparks, They had better privacy in rooms, better housekeeping and more helpful and friendly staff. Overall though we probably would stay here again just because our teens loved it. The things you do for your kids!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Hotel. I will pass along your comments to all of our Departments at the hotel for review. I look forward to having you back, so you can see our improvements.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We had a great time at the resort. The extra hour in the morning and evening was a great time to ride the indoor slides and river. The beach was clean and beautiful. Overall it is a great place for families to enjoy time together for a few days.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Jenn2288
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. The "Exclusive RIde Time" for resort guests only is a great benefit. We also keep the World Famous Boogie Bahn open for an extra hour at the outdoor park for Resort Guests only to ride. We look forward to having you and your family return to us on your next vacation to South Padre Island.
frisco, tx
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We recently stayed here four nights. We got here a little before 4:00, and we were able to check-in and go to our room right-a-way. We didn't have to wait for check-in, but it would have been nice if the front desk could give you a little information about the resort, restaurants, services, etc... Basically, she swipes your credit cards, puts on your bracelets, and sends you on your way. Nothing more. They look too busy to do anything else. The lobby is relatively small, and there is a constant flow of people. I know Schlitterbahn isn't Disney World, but, at Disney, they give you a packet with resort info and address any questions when you check-in.

We had a standard queen room, and it was nice. I liked the fact that there is a safe to lock up your valuables. Beds were comfortable, and there is a nice sized table with two chairs. There is a microwave and refrigerator in the room; our refrigerator wasn't working when we got there. Maintenance thawed it, and it was fine after that. The bathroom is so tiny that it's hard to close the door. It would be great if they would add an extra clothes line in the bath tub, as I have seen at other hotels. You end up with a a lot of wet clothes, and no place to put them to hang dry.

It's very convenient to stay at the hotel if you're visiting Schlitterbahn. You can charge to room so you don't have to worry about carrying cash or credit cards around. The indoor waterpark opens early and stays open later for guests. It's isn't as busy during these times. It's easy to go to your room and relax when you're tired. We would take breaks and do different things during the day, and come back at night. The tunnel to the main park is open too, which makes it easy to travel between the parks. There are several restaurants to eat at in the resort. We tried the Seaside Grill, and it was decent. The beach access is a big plus, as well. We didn't spend as much time at the beach as I had imagined, since my son absolutely loved the water park.

Last, check-out could be faster. They are very busy with people checking in and out, and giving out new bracelets for the returning visitors. We waited in a line for a good ten minutes. When it was our turn, the front desk attendant decided to stop and go to a side line, and put bracelets on at least 10-15 people which made our wait even longer. Also, they could give a better itemization of extra charges. It's itemized, but your extra charges are mixed in with the standard room charges.

All in all, we had a good visit. I could see some room for improvement, mainly at the front desk. They need more people to assist, and more space would be nice. However, in the eyes of my 6 year-old it was "best hotel in the world".

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ja_Brett
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We do try to give our guests the information upon check in about the hotel, and my apologies for them not being clear with you about this. I'm glad that you and your family had a great time, and please tell your child that we think he's "the best six year old in world!"
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Overall, it was very nice. I have 5, 4 and 2year old. It was perfect place for the little kids. One thing, When you borrow beach towel make sure return it. I left in the room and when we got back, house keeper clean our room and took all the towels. If you don't return it they charge $20 each. Kids had blast!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank luluh867
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for the great review. I'm glad to hear that you and you your children had a great time.
Pharr Tx
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Usually when we go to the beach we get RED like a lobster(even with sunblock lotion)..However, because we didn't stay in the outdoor waterpark all day and we decided to be in the indoor waterpark, we didn't evn get burned..Very different experience since it has that carousel and the kids loved it.My husband loved it too and wants to book our next reservation at their hotel.Shrimp Haus Restaraunt was AWESOME! Probably the best food I have ever eaten at SPI and that's because I live about an hour away and have tried them all!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cheekameka77
Rene V, Manager at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
The Torrent River at the Indoor portion of the Waterpark is one of my favorite rides. I'm glad to hear that your vacation was such a huge success. I will be sure to pass on your comments about our ShrimpHaus Restaurant to the kitchen staff, they take extreme pride in the quality of food that they put out to our guests and will be excited to hear your review. Whenever you're ready to book your next trip please give us a call. Thank you for the great review!
San Benito, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My family and I stayed at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort for our summer vacation. The hotel staff was courteous and friendly, and our room was clean and new. My 9 year old son had a great time in the indoor waterpark. My son, husband, mother and I all got in the rapid river, and enjoyed the slides and the tubes. The bar in the indoor waterpark had cold, fresh drinks for the adults as well as icees and dipping dots for the kids! Something for everyone! We spent the next day on the island. We rented an umbrella and lounge chairs from the resort, and spent the whole day playing in the ocean, building sand castles, and of course burying each other in the sand. The Seaside Grill (one of the restaurants at Schlitterbahn Beach Resort) was steps away from the beach. So we were able to enjoy cold Pina Coladas on the beach. We had lunch at the Seaside Grill, and the food and service were excellent. We were able to relax, have fun, and spend quality time as a family because this resort was so convenient. My only tiny complaint is that the restrooms in the rooms were tiny. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this resort, and we will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We like to say that with the options that we provide our guests that if you wanted to stay on property for your entire stay that you will not get bored; and from the sound of your review its true. I'm glad to hear that you and your family had such a great time, we look forward to having you back with us on your next visit to South Padre Island.
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The price for the stay AND two days admission to the park is unbeatable!!!! The rooms are great, and the beds are very comfortable!
The staff was also beyond great! Before we arrived we had to modify our reservation and the person on the phone was quick, courteous, and friendly, and when we arrived everything was taken care of. The staff gave us our park wristbands even though our room wasn't ready (we arrived 2hrs. before check in, which is at 4pm).
The price point for this place is
spot on. We will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for the great review about our Hotel. I am glad to hear that from the moment you made contact with a Schlitterbahn staff member that they delivered excellent customer service. I will pass this on to the entire team.