“Underrated”

Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Austin
“Underrated”
Reviewed April 23, 2008

i read the reviews, but went there anyway. My impression was that it might be not luxerious, but it was not dirty at all!!! Also the people at the check in were absolutely friendly and helpful!!
I was very satisfied.

Stayed April 2008
3 Thank adventureseeker08

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed September 1, 2007

Second time staying here,will not stay here again! 5am.left my room to let the front desk know that the people staying next door in room #237 are in the hallway,drunk,making a lot of noise,and woke me up at 4:30am.Leo Santos was working the front desk,all he wanted to do was argue with me instead of taking care of the loud party next door.Amanda was nice and said,"Sorry," for the disturbance.This was too late,I was checking out.Went to another place to stay and turned a negative situation into a very enjoyable vacation.David and Connie are the managers,I did not see them or talk to them once.I requested room #200,someone was already in this room.I then requested a room all the way on the other side of the building for a quiet stay. It would have been quiet if the hotel front desk person would have located the party in the middle of the property instead of next door to me.The property only had about four rooms occupied on a Saturday night.I will not stay here again because of Leo Santos attitude and no management on duty.Mike is the owner.I would suggest staying at another property on the beach where you can here the ocean instead of rowdy neighbors.Juice machine was serving water instead of juice.No breakfast available.Pay an extra $15 dollars to stay somewhere else.I was able to upgrade to another property,ocean view,hearing the ocean waves from my room,breakfast,happy hour snacks,great location,quiet,for only $75 dollars per night.Class of people staying at another resort were more friendly,staff professional,and manager was on duty when needed.Huge contrast between properties.Do not settle for less with this Inn.
You deserve better and can find a much better experience on South Padre Island than this place.

• Liked — Checking out and leaving!
  • Disliked — Noise,location,Leo Santos,No Breakfast,Could not see or hear the ocean.No management.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
3 Thank Aloha64

Travelers are raving about these South Padre Island hotels

houston
Reviewed September 9, 2006

This hotel is HORRIBLE!! Dirty walls (especially in the bathrooms), carpet was so very dirty we had to use our shoes the whole time. Towels were not clean (hair and stains left on them). We reluctently stayed but we do not recommend this place to anyone!!! DO NOT STAY AT THIS DUMP!!! Service was horrible, the guy at the front desk could care less about the kind of service he offers to his customers. RUDE would be a good word to use too. We still had a good time at SPI but we will never return to this dirty place. We love SPI and will return and definitely stay somewhere else.

Stayed September 2006
6 Thank happyparrot
Kansas
Reviewed July 31, 2006

Whatever you do DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rooms are DIRTY and so are the sheets. Yep, whoever stayed before us used the bed for more than sleep, the "stuff" was still on the sheets (unfortunately we did not see them till the next morning)! GAG
No amenities except for coffee in the lobby. However, don't plan to sit at one of the few tables there because the employees won't give them up. Gee, should you not be cleaning your filthy rooms & hallways!
Advertise wireless internet - NOPE don't have it! Plenty of lights in the rooms but without bulbs they don't work too well. I would not even go NEAR the pool!!
At over $100 per night you would do better to camp in a gas station parking lot! Americas Best should change the name to Americas Best Insult to Motels!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — don't book online!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank wolfluver9
Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2006

After reading some of the reviews on this website, I thought twice about staying there at America's Best so I phoned them and the
young lady explained to me that they were under new management and that there had been some trouble in the past but, requested the chance to prove that they were a great place to stay afterall. With an open mind I gave them that chance and it was well worth it. Housekeeping came by daily and changed out all our linen, refreshed all our toiletries, the hotel staff was very helpful and courteous. They allow pets at reasonable fee and compared to the rest of the island, the rate was awesome!
They don't charge for extra keys, pillows, paying in cash etc.
My family and I are very pleased and will stay again there next summer. I am very glad we gave it a chance.

• Liked — Lots of shopping and diners within walking distance
  • Disliked — no long distance available so bring a calling card
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring and cell or calling card and lots of sunscreen it's hot here
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank modmar123
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 4, 2006

When we arrived the room had the worst smell ever. We thought, well the room has been closed up no problem. We arrived on a Friday and planned on staying through the following Wednesday. Saturday we returned to the room to find, that using th AC the night before filled up the vent up with MOLD. With us using the AC it caused the MOLD to be pulled to the front. The only way we noticed it was because it was shooting into the room. We went to the office and explained the problem and after about 15 min they moved us upstairs. Same problem, but worse. I would think twice before booking. The front dest was not helpfull at all. BUYER BEWARE!!!

• Stayed March 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 13, 2005

I booked this through Expedia. The hotel is in disrepair with a BBQ chained outside and unsavory characters hanging around. I refused to stay and was charge one nights stay. Go across the street to Budget Host - costs less & is much nicer. I'm still waiting for management to respond.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business