“Very disappointed...” 1 of 5 bubbles

La Quinta Inn & Suites South Padre Island
San Antonio
“Very disappointed...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2008

I booked the room for my family well in advance for the 4th of July weekend. I was told that the room WAS oceanfront as I requested and called to confirm weekly. When we arrived, we were given a room near a facility closet. The "oceanfront" view was visible IF you hung yourself over the balcony. The windows leaked water, the bed ruffles were melted/burnt with holes all around it, the bathroom smelled horrible and the door did not have a security bolt. I went immediately to the front desk and was told in a very rude tone that the rooms were booked. Period. I went back several times to change rooms but not once could move. We checked out a day early but was also told that their policy was not the same as their corporate policy for cancellation. I explained again about the room and even made mention that we stayed although it rained the entire weekend and could not stay another night in the nasty room. The attitude given to me and my family was more that we inconvenienced them and nothing more. I am saddened and disappointed and would NOT recommend this hotel due to our recent experience. Not only was our room nasty, but the hallway to our room was dirty and I constantly picked up trash coming out or going into our room.

• Liked — The deck to the beach
  • Disliked — Our room was nasty, the hotel was dirty, and the staff was rude.
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Lawrence
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2008

This is definitely not what is shown on the internet. The staff was great and very helpful. However, we stayed one night and left. We met another family that checked into their room and left immediately. The place was very busy. The pool and hot tub were so crowded we were unable to use them. They are too small for the size of the hotel. The rooms show a lot of wear. There was actual mold on the shower mat. The exhaust fan was so loud you couldn't talk over it. We didn't want to touch anything. Unless this gets a total remodel, including an additional, or larger, swimming pool and hot tub, we would never stay here again.

• Liked — Front desk staff
  • Disliked — the room
pharr tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

the hotel was great right on the beach.the staff was very friendly and efficent.the room was realy clean,beds were comfortable.the continental breakfast was not just great it was excellent.the only problem was the two elevators they had were too slow.but over all we had a great time and will deffinetly go back.i do recommend la quinta for vacation.

• Liked — pets were allowed
  • Disliked — elevators too slow
Roanoke,Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

we were at the La Quinta South Padre Island over the first weekend in july and we found it to be an adequate hotel.It was busy,I mean busy too,not just weekend busy,For the amount of business the hotel was experiencing the weekend we were there,I thought the staff was professional and courteous.we had the curtain that covered the window in the back door fall and the maintenance representative at the hotel fixed the problem promptly...Other than that we had no problems with the rooms themselves..There were fresh-made waffles every morning for breakfast along with the normal continental breakfast fare,I thought this was a nice touch..the happy hour from 5 to 6 is for real too,just dont expect the world.You get two free drinks,per person per day,I didnt take advantage of this,but I did take advantage of the free chips and hot sauce.Please let me say that my daughter and I were really parched from being on the beach all day and the guy serving the complimentary beer and wine during the hapy hour gave us free sodas.I thought this was good service on his part..he also makes a mean Pina Colada,according to my wife.We enjoyed the hotel,it wasnt really far from everything like it looks from internet photos if you have a car.But if you are looking to walk to dinner and to the souvenir shops,you might try a property farther south closer to the causeway..We would stay here again and we would recommend this hotel to our friends and family too...In addition,we would tell them that if they go during the summer, it will be busy as it is a less expensive property directly on the beach and expect lines at the waffle station during breakfast....Get there before 8:30 am and you wont have to stand in line by the way..We found the front desk staff to be above average also.....This hotel was pet-friendly,which was different,but I saw no "problems" as a result of the pets,It was a little different to see the pets being led around in the hallways....I hope this helps someone and have a happy vacation....

• Liked — The location,the service!
  • Disliked — It was too busy!
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

To give my family a treat, I decided to spend more on a "family suite" and just stay fewer days. With high hopes, we checked into the La Quinta. To begin with, the parking was ridiculous. The property is located on a long narrow strip. If you are unlucky (and we always were), you will get a space at the far end of the parking lot. It is uphill to the lobby. The parking was extremely crowded. I observed many families showing up with swim gear and no parking permits, passing through the hotel to use the beach access.

Next, check in was a long process. There was a long line and the lobby was hot due to the frequent opening of the lobby doors.

The worst part was the room. The kids opened the door with great anticipation.....and it was like entering a frat house. the front room had the oddest furniture placement. There were holes in the wall, and the "kitchen" refridgerator hit one of the beds in the "family suite". The couch did not face the TV and a mirror was placed in the oddest location. The walls were dirty and in need of paint, and the furniture did not match. The balcony was narrow, and difficult to sit comfortably on. The room's window looked out upon a rooftop full of trash. When I went to the desk, I was told there were no rooms available and that all the "family suites" looked like that.

Other downers: The hotel was extremeley crowded. The wait in line for breakfast waffles was 20 minutes and we had to split my family up to eat. The pool was wall to wall kids. There was no room to just relax. It had at least 50 kids in it every time I looked.
Waits for elevators were long. Good luck trying to find a rolling valet when you check out. We waited by the front door for 30 minutes when we were checking out. We needed a rolling valet because we had a long downhill walk. We went back to our "suite" for an afternoon rest after the beach and before Shlitterbahn. The room was not made up or cleaned. I could live like that at home for a lot less. We left for the water park at 4, and still no room cleaning.

Checking out was a long process also. I stood in line for about 15 minutes. I lodged a formal complaint with the La Quinta. I was contacted by a manager on my answering machine. I called back and was told she was on vacation, and then I never did hear from her again.

The beach access is nice and the hotel did not smell musty. I don't know what the regular rooms are like, but they looked decent from the hallways. Beware the "family suite".

I also have suspicion that family and friends use the hotels facilities. I sat in the lobby waiting to buy tickets to something. I noticed several families enter the lobby from outside carrying all of their beach gear, wave hi to the people at the desk, stop at the lobby bathroom to change, and then proceed out the backside of the hotel to the pool and beach.

Overall, it was too crowded and not worth the money. I'm still looking for a comfortable place in South Padre that does not have a musty smell.

• Liked — the beach access
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
Austin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2008

Where to begin on how pathetic this place is. First, we made our reservations months in advance for a wedding. The price we were quoted was $170 per night but that turned in to $190 upon check in. I guess inflation? We ordered a room with a jacuzzi (which, by the way, the jacuzzis are just small bathtubs with jets, so don’t get any false impressions of luxury.) SO, I’m at the front desk for 20 minutes while the person working typed feverishly on the PC – I knew there was a problem. I got a non-smoking suite. When we got in the room, I was immediately hit by the smell of smoke. I returned to the front desk and was told sorry, they were booked and couldn’t help me. When I threw a bit of a hassle, the manager promised he’d find me a non-smoking suite (so I guess they weren’t booked, just holding out?) However, the only non-smoking suite they had was a two bed queen with no jacuzzi (no big loss there). The manager had the audacity to tell me he had to charge me more because the room was larger. After a glare, he decided not to charge me. We got to our room and it was far from impressive. One reviewer said “cookie cutter” hotel – great description. It felt like I was at a Northeast El Paso budget inn. Nothing beach-like or resort-like about it at all. The parking lot is a terribly long walk. When it’s booked, you literally have to park a mile away. The internet was down, also. The worst part about this trip, however, is not what this hotel did to me. It’s what this hotel did to the bride and groom. After venting my frustration to the wedding party at dinner that evening, the groom explained his and his wife-to-be’s nightmare. They booked the honeymoon suite months in advance and when they arrived, the staff had mistakenly put someone else in the room. Because of the sorry nature of the staff, their lack of organization and their incompetence, he and his bride got the same room as we did. A plain piece of crap. Nothing to mark their special occasion. They didn’t offer to compensate or anything, just a repeated apology knowing that we were all stuck there for the experience and had already paid. On top of this, they supplied the catering and the dance hall. The food was terrible, cold and took about 2 hours to serve to everyone. The staff was rude and refused to make exceptions for people with certain allergies or non-preferences to meat, etc. This on top of the fact that it was a wedding party and between our friends and family, half of their sales for the weekend were to us. Collectively, we all felt robbed, but none of us could fathom the treatment of this La Quinta Inn and its staff toward the groom and his bride. I will never stay here again. I would never recommend this place and in fact, I would go so far as to say it’s my goal to cost them as much business as they cost my friend and his wife on their wedding. It’s jaded my overall view of hotels in the southern portion of South Padre (I have a great review for the Sandcastle Resort in Port Aransas – that place is classy.) My recommendation to anyone visiting the area that is unfamiliar – stay up in north padre where everything is cheaper, there is less of a “tourist trap” mentality and resorts are far better maintained. La Quinta South Padre, you are the very staple of terrible. Have a great summer ruining your reputation and losing your customers.

• Liked — That it was over in 3 days
  • Disliked — The apathy and incompetence of the staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2008

We stayed for 6 days. The room was not in the best of condition. The front door was damaged, it was really hard to close. The balcony door would not close, the doorknob was broken. The closet did not have a door. The beds and sofa were not very comfortable at all. The internet NEVER worked. A maintenance person was sent twice and made attempts to repair it to no avail. So then he just gave up and never came back. The room was not in the best of shape or the most comfortable, but the location and views were absolutely wonderful. The location was very nice because we could just take the elevator down and walk right onto the beach. They also have little showers right past the pool by the beach for your feet or your body. Nice! Plus in the front of the hotel, you can get discounted tickets to just about anything on the island. The hotel is on the far end of the island and you have to drive a bit into town where everything is. Overall we didn't get a comfortable room, but we got a great location.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family