On a visit to family for Easter we stayed at the La Quinta Inn on South Padre Island. We've stayed here previously when we needed a quiet respite from family craziness. While the hotel itself is little changed from previous visits the environs around it has. Previously at the quiet end of South Padre Island, it is quiet no more!
The hotel itself retains the same qualities that we've enjoyed previously. Our room was large and clean. It had two queen beds that were comfortable. The shower was hot and the air conditioning cold. Our only issue with the room was the door to the balcony was sticky, requiring a good pull to open.
Service at the hotel was great. The front desk supplied us with some forgotten toiletry items gratis (razors, shaving cream, toothpaste). The continental breakfast was tasty, with an assortment of fruits and baked goods along with coffee, juices, texas shaped waffles and three types of scrambled eggs. The wait service poolside was attentive.
The big changes were out of doors. First- we needed wrist bracelets to identify us as guests of the hotel. I expect this was because it was Easter weekend and the island was hopping. It was not a problem for us- we've been to other hotels that required wrist bracelets. The pool now has full bar service. We were able to get some margaritas without leaving the hotel (though I did miss the old happy hour with free drinks). Not the strongest, but nice. Also new is the beachside chair and umbrella service. I've been spoiled by this service in other countries; not having it at beaches in the US is a big drawback for me. While we didn't take advantage of the service on this trip I am certain we will in the future.
The biggest change- a new beach/night club opened next door to the hotel. I liked that I could walk next door for a burger or a cocktail. On previous trips we always had to hop in the car for either. On the downside there was a stage and live music at night. Maybe they only have live music at certain times, like Easter or Spring Break. If you aren't into live music at night request a "viewside" room. These rooms overlook the dunes and hotel next door. We had a viewside room; I could make out the bass in the music, but not to a level that it disturbed me.
While we will return to the LQ in the future, we will keep an eye out for further changes that might make this hotel less attractive to us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Quinta Inn & Suites is a Texas Beach hotel located on the north beach on South Padre Island. Hotel is located directly on the beach, featuring an ocean-side swimming pool, restaurant and bar. Enjoy free wireless high speed internet in your room, throughout the hotel, and outside to the pool and beach! Free bright side breakfast every morning featuring fresh Belgian waffles and a made-to-order omelet station. Host events for up to 200 people in our grand ballroom.We also have several electric car Charging Stations available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, LaQuinta, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your La Quinta Inn & Suites South Padre Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Quinta Inn And Suites South Padre Hotel South Padre Island
- La Quinta South Padre Island
- South Padre Island La Quinta
- s Padre Island