“Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

Save up to 25%
SAN ANGELO
“Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was recently in South Padre for a training and stayed at La Quinta Inn on the north end of the island. I had a side room with a view of both the bay and Gulf of Mexico. I saw both the sunrise and sunset from my tiny balcony. When you get there you get a voucher for one free happy hour drink for every night you stay there and you can also get soda if you don't drink but I think some sort of minor payment is involved. They are next to Clayton's Bar and Grill with a patio allowing you to see the waves pounding the surf as you eat shrimp on the table. There are tall tables along the edge of the patio to see the ocean and there are other regular size tables for eating further in. The hotel has a walkway straight to the beach on the Gulf of Mexico side. One night there was a power outage in the hotel and the entire staff from manager to janitorial were there to lend a hand taking you and guiding you around the hotel as needed. There were emergency lights so there was lighting, but if you were not confident, they would walk with you to your location with a flashlight leading the way. They kept the first floor well swept and clean of any sandy residue from the beach. I slept with my windows open and the ocean breeze coming in and the ceiling fan circulating the air. Overall I had an enjoyable experience there.

Room Tip: To get a view of sunrise and sunsets, you want a side room. The back of the hotel has rooms for the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Great location on the island. Room and facilities were very clean especially for a hotel located directly on the beach. Just across the street from the Birding and Turtle sanctuary. The breakfast buffet was fantastic. Much more than I bargained for. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Free internet access was convenient. Used the fitness and business centers - they were under utilized but top notch. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. First time I have been to Texas - very enjoyable.

Room Tip: If you want beach side, get the East Rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Round Rock, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I had read a lot of reviews about this place falling apart, but I saw nothing that suggested that. It was very clean, well maintained, and staff was great. Breakfast was the highlight of our stay! It was a huge buffet and had almost anything you could want. Plenty of staff around to assist. Being on the beach was also very nice. We just walked out the back door and there was the water! Also great pool and hot tub. My only complaint is that we were on the 3rd floor, directly underneath the breakfast room. There was a lot of noise and footsteps and banging coming through the ceiling starting at 6am. I'm a very light sleeper so it really bothered me (my husband never even woke up). I almost asked to switch rooms for the second night but decided to suck it up. Other than that, it was a fantastic place to stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

WOW! We were so impressed with this place. I just can't say enough good things about it. They have so many benefits and perks! The most important being that they are right on the beach - literally. We timed it and it took us 1 1/2 minutes to walk out of our room and onto the beach shoreline. They have a large wooden step-down leveled deck with a lot of chaise lounges and captain chairs with attached tables that make it very comfortable to sit and enjoy the ocean. The next was price. We got an executive king suite with a full ocean view on the 4th floor that had a decent-size walk-out balcony with two chairs for $102 per night. It also included a microwave, fridge, and sitting area. The view was amazing. We left our door open each night so we could listen to the ocean and wake up to a gorgeous sunrise and ocean breeze. The room itself had nice, rich decor with a very comfortable bed, comforter, and pillows. Other perks included free parking, free high-speed wi-fi, a good-size flat screen TV with a lot of good cable channels. a free breakfast that offered a wide variety of items. We liked their cute Texas-shaped waffles. They have a really nice-sized heated pool and a hot tub that was actually hot with even hotter water shooting out of the jets and felt really good towards the end of the day when the temperature dropped a bit. Another perk is that they give you drink coupons for free drinks. We got 8 total for our stay. This was a nice perk and something we were able to get at the Bar and Grill right next to the pool. The staff was really nice and helpful. When I needed to print out my boarding passes, they graciously let me use their office computer and printer. The cleaning staff did a great job of keeping our room clean and stocked and the hotel and pool area were very clean as well. The staff members were always very nice and friendly and willing to help. While there were a few areas that showed signs of wear, it was so minor, it paled in comparison to the benefits and perks of this place and isn't even worth mentioning. When we visit South Padre again, we will be staying there again! As a side note - we went during the first week of November during the week during the off season. It was very quiet and there were times we were the only one on the beach or in the pool. It was like having the place to ourselves! Also, I would highly recommend renting a beach umbrella and chairs from Jim's Beach Service. Apparently they are on the beach by La Quinta during the summer months, but other times, you can just call them @ (956) 761-2130 and they'll bring the equipment to where you are, set it up, and take it down for $25 per day. Great deal! We got two really nice beach chairs with foot rests and a nice large umbrella. We used them twice from 10:00 am - 6:00 pm and thoroughly enjoyed our days on the beach! Angel did a great job of getting us all set up. Make sure you tip him as he has to carry all that heavy equipment down to the beach.

Room Tip: Try and get the king executive suite. Ask or the one on the 4th floor to get the best birds-eye oce...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BevSLC
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had such a great experience at this La Quinta. We had our 2 dogs with us and this is such a "dog friendly" place. We had such easy access to the beach area, which is very clean, nice white sand. All the staff members were very nice and helpful We will definitely be back!!!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking beach side are a little more noisy, but very nice view!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jane K
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

they have updated parts of the hotel and it does look and smell better but the weekends are crazy with families and the buffet is way too crowded go to hilton next door- food and rooms along with bar much better

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

This establishment does not know what Elite Membership signifies. There was not any perk provided as is standard for the Elite member. I showed the receptionist my Elite Membership Card, and no recognition was provided. The receptionist had no idea what the membership card was for and stated that she only wanted cash or a credit card for payment. I actually heard the receptionist talk to herself saying: "What is an E'Light?" I did provide my credit card along with my Elite Membership Card. I also mentioned that my credit card payment was already included with my Elite Membership online account.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo