“Excellent Hotel”

La Quinta Inn & Suites South Padre Island
Edinburg, Texas
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

Stayed there this past weekened and loved this location. Friendly staff and very clean place. i would recommend this hotel to anyone. Mando S.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

Beautiful hotel, amazing pool, very friendly!! Beach side with wonderful view

• Stayed September 2011
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

What follows is the content of my 22 February 2012 email sent to the hotel's General Manager in response to the 'Is there anything we could have done better?' email that I received following my 7-21 February 2012 stay. Nice enough hotel, but management needs to get a serious grip on the time it takes housekeeping to do the daily servicing of guest rooms.

* * * *

"...Thank you for your interest in my firsthand opinion of your hotel following my recent stay.

This was my second two week 'February' visit to SPI, my first being in February 2011 (when I also stayed at the La Quinta SPI). What brought me back for my second stay this year were much the same factors that attracted me to your hotel last year. The beachfront location toward the north end of SPI affords a more peaceful 'experience' in terms of lodgings and beach activity than the more built up and developed areas to your south, while at the same time being a convenient drive away from the 'dining and shopping' of southern SPI and Port Isabel. I found your rooms to be clean, comfortable, nicely appointed and reasonably priced. The property itself appears to be well maintained and the hotel's common areas were always tidy and welcoming. When making my reservation last year, your front desk staff were quite helpful over the phone in recommending which section of your hotel would best meet my personal preference in terms of 'view' (and I wasn't disappointed). Your front desk staff were equally helpful this year when I requested a room in the same section of the hotel as I had last year.

On the negative side - and please take this to heart, because it is clearly an *ongoing* problem that is no doubt as irritating to other guests as it was to me - is your daily housekeeping services to guest rooms. I have never before stayed at a hotel where housekeeping are known to take until 5pm to service a room in which the guests have been 'out' since before noon, nor have I ever stayed at a hotel where the housekeeping carts appear to progress at such a glacial pace from room to room along the hallway. Either one or both of two things appear to be at the root of this problem ...you don't employ enough housekeeping staff in order to perform daily servicing of *all* occupied guest rooms within a *reasonable* window of time each and every day, and/or the housekeeping staff that you do have on hand are poorly utilized/supervised in order to get the job done (again, within that same *reasonable* window of time each and *every* day). I encountered this *exact* same problem last year - which is why I know that it is ongoing - and when I voiced my concern to your front desk staff at the time, their response was little more than a shrug. This year, I attempted to proactively address the problem by making a point each morning of seeking out the housekeeper who would be servicing my room as I was leaving the hotel for the day and tipping her in advance (along with providing her with a piece of paper that had my room number written on it to bridge any potential language issues). Although this partially improved the odds of my room being made up prior to my return later in the afternoon, on one particular day - after tipping a housekeeper at approximately 11:00am who confirmed that she had my room on her list (and whose cart was at the time only two rooms away from mine), I returned to my room at approximately 4:00pm - *five* hours later - to find it still un-serviced. I then found the same housekeeper that I had tipped at the opposite end of the hotel, but her ability to understand my concern regarding my room wasn't nearly as good as her ability to understand my gesture to tip her earlier in the day (I don't speak spanish). Were it not for the intervention of the front desk after receiving a call from me shortly after, I'm certain that my room would not have been serviced ...as it was, the housekeeper who *did* service my room that day - at nearly 5:00pm[!?!] - was *not* the housekeeper who accepted my tip (I have absolutely no idea whose pocket that $5 bill ended up in). Frankly, based on the ongoing housekeeping issue alone, I do not plan on staying at your hotel during my next visit to SPI ...the Hilton Garden Inn next door is likely to get my future business.

'Action' is much better at retaining repeat business than mere pre-formatted 'apologies' that do nothing to change the status quo ...and your daily housekeeping services haven't been meeting the expectations of many of your guests for quite sometime (check some of your reviews posted on TripAdvisor.com from other guests that mention this very same problem)..."

Room Tip: Rooms in the northeast section of the hotel (facing north or east) afford the best unobstructed view...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TinToronto
HershalP, Owner at La Quinta Inn & Suites South Padre Island, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
I'm very sorry to hear about your problems with our housekeeping staff. We will surely look into this matter and fix it. We hope you give us another chance in the future and stay with us again. We look forward to hearing from you again!
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

We had a very enjoyable one-month long stay. Every request was met with a smile and rapidly provided. The breakfast was truly outstanding. Many choices of foods and beverages. It was really a very social event, leisurely dining among happy visitors and hotel staff. The hotel manager, Mr. Paul Patel, was very visible and one of the best managers we have known in our many years of travel and hotel stays. He was seen working alongside his staff at all functions, from the front desk to the afternoon 'happy hour.' He is attentive, courteous and well-mannered. He is a real plus to La Quinta. We were so happy with our visit that we have made reservations for another month next year.

Room Tip: Breakfast is served on 4th floor. Rooms on north side have view of the beach.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind words about our hotel! We're very happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Harlingen, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

We stayed here in February 2012. The weather was not cooperative, but it didn't matter. Our room was very clean and we had a balcony with a view of the beach. We could hear the roar of the gulf!! They have a happy hour every day and a full hot breakfast. The staff was very friendly and there were many things to do on the grounds. The Hilton is next door and a great seafood restaurant called Daddy's is just down the street. There is so much to do at SPI. For staying in February, the place was packed. Would go back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
We're glad you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Victoria, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

The reduced cost and off-season beach front sold us! The parking, challenging...but we arrived early. We had paid for our hotel online so there was no need to take our credit card for incidentals but the young girl who did not speak english insisted. Later on, we found that our credit card number and security pin had been sold and there was a probable link to the hotel itself. That was its own challenge (FTC and banks). The hallways were VERY crowded, as this hotel has a narrow design in the main area - similar to a cruise ship's room area on the lower decks. The front elevators were broken so the masses were required to walk with their luggage and children to the back elevators, dodging the maide's carts in the narrow walkway. My thoughts were "what if a fire broke out?" It was unsafe. We used the stairs for the majority of the evening. The room was decently sized and clean, but they used a carpet fresh smelling chemical that lingered and caused headaches. We ended up opening the sliding window to air out the heavy faux perfume. The bathrooms were very nice. The pool facilties were overcrowded and cloudy, with lots of small children (under 7) running around unsupervised after 10pm. People were drinking outside and being loud and a little unruly. It reminded me of a resort in a third world foreign country. There was a dead crab that laid in the walkway for the hour we sat outside, probably dropped by a seagull. I guess one could say the hotel was very loud, making it very friendly for young partying types with children. The plus was the beach access. Of course, the majority of the hotels in this area have that access. Great bathroom, good sized rooms, overcrowded and loud halls all night long, elevators that did not work....will not return.

Room Tip: Book the suite
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Nikki W
Los Fresnos, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

clean,relaxing by the beach, heated pool great place to stay on south pardre island

Room Tip: room with king size bed and jucuzzi is the way to go
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family