“Don't listen to the bad reviews”
Review of Padre South Hotel

Padre South Hotel
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
“Don't listen to the bad reviews”
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I was very scared after reading all the reviews people put on here. But when we got there we were treated nicely they gave us lots of free samples of things left from spring break like shampoo and stuff. The rooms were nice yes this is a old hotel and you can tell that its not fancy at all. Our room had a kitchen in it and a bed and pull out couch all very nice and clean. The location was excellent couldwalk up the street to where the shops were or right in front of the hotel was a stop for the wave the island free buses. I really enjoyed tge view of the ocean from our room. I have nothing bad to say about this place. If you are looking for a fancy place than this isnt your place if you want to go relax with family at a great price then this is the place. I wouldstay there again next time we go.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank megan1216

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 5, 2011

First off this hotel does not have a fitness center! That is absolutely repulsive to not have anything at all. Also during our stay we were charged $15 for a wristband, and if we wanted our friends to visit with us in our room it was $25 for each of them, but that was only for that day. The front desk staff could not have been more rude. The hired security was like something out of Nazi Germany. Upon checking out they had a non-english speaking maid count and take tabs of every item in our room. This was incredibly frustrating because her ability to count was roughly as good as her English. I had to show her that all of the towels were there after she came up with the wrong number during each of her attempts. The only reason I would suggest this place to anyone is that they have beds in their rooms, tvs that work, and have a great location.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank penguinsfan14
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 21, 2011

We came to South Padre for Spring Break 2011. Although the location is not bad (there is a CVS a block away and Coca Cola Beach is not a far walk and Chaos is right across the street) their staff made me give this hotel a horrible review. I'm sorry but when you own a business, especially one that tries to make sure you have a pleasurable stay when you visit, you aren't rude to the customers! The lady at the front desk, which I could only assume was the manager, was very, very rude. Also, the security guards they had working in the front were not friendly at all. This made all the difference. I have warned everyone to not stay here and have let others know of their bad service.

Also, during Spring Break (not sure of other times) you are to give a $250 CASH deposit. Whereas everywhere else, everyone does credit card holds, they don't. When we asked if this would be returned to us once we checked out, the lady replied "You better hope so" very rudely. I am no exaggerating when I say their staff was horrible. Their rooms are not very nice. There weren't many outlets in the room which was a problem for 4 girls with phone chargers, curling irons, etc. We all brought our own towels and there were 4 when we arrived. We used only 1 on the floor of the bathroom and used our own towels on the entire trip. They still said we were missing a towel? They don't have an ice machine. They sell you bags of ice. Also, the parking was horrible. We got there in the middle of Spring Break. They give you a parking pass but I don't know why since they let anyone park there. When we got there, the parking was full of people parking there to walk to the beach that werent staying there. We had to wait till night to find parking in the lot. You aren't guaranteed a parking spot.

The "restaurant" next door was not very good. I did not like their drinks and they tried to charge us up and thought we wouldn't notice. We drank 3 margaritas each. On each of our tabs, they had charged 1 at 2.00, 1 at 4.00 and one at 5.00? I could see no explanation other than they were charging us up. They fixed the problem only after we asked them why. They don't have a menu. When you ask what food they serve, they say "chicken wings, burger, or shrimp cocktail". They did the same for the drinks.

Pay a little more and stay at a better hotel! It's not worth it!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank Lize C

Travelers are raving about these South Padre Island hotels

York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 17, 2011

The service was average, the room was adequate and the location was right on the beach. My room had a queen bed(none of their rooms have kings) and was on the eastern face of the building meaning I had a view over the Gulf(verrry niccce!!!). It was a good escape waking up at the break of dawn and seeing the dolphins out there playing in the water! The rooms include a small kitchen and necessary utensils and cookware. The pool and spa were clean(rumor has it the spa is the biggest on the island!). The best part of the stay was the bar/restaurant next door. The manager of the bar was a really nice guy who went out of his way to make our time in his establishment enjoyable. Also, the skydivers are based out of this hotel and land right outback which was awesome. I wish I would have went. It looked like a lot of fun!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mmyohe
Alamo, Texas
Reviewed October 19, 2010

I brought my family to stay on the Island recently and we decided to stay at this hotel due to being right on the beach and because it was located close to the business areas. Thats the only good thing about this place. The rooms smelled funny and seemed so out dated. The carpet in the lobby was stained and it had a musky scent. Now, i brought my family down and i didnt appreciate the way the clerk at the front desk kept looking at my daughter, and to top that off he had an attitude and was cocky. But i didnt say nothing because i didnt want to ruin my families trip to the island. I will never stay their again and will definitely not suggest this hotel. Management needs to work on who they hire.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank alamojon
Houston
Reviewed September 6, 2010

To speak for my boyfriend and I, OMFG. DISGUSTING. Period. Mold, grime, mildew, wet towel smell all over the hotel. I would have rather slept on the beach. I dreaded going back to the hotel during our stay. I took a shower in the cramped bathroom, our toilets barely flushes. Provided a small portion of towels making it barely enough for two people. Ironing board was burnt, iron was rusted and stained my shirts. The ac unit, fridge were so loud, it kept waking me up. I wake up every morning to stare at the mildew all over us from the roof to all four walls. No wonder we kept coughing through out the night. Only good comment I can say is the staff is "okay",and, the location is right in front of the beach. Good walking distance. Oh yeah, did I mention the hallways looks like a scene from the shining? Very creepy. Do not stay here. No matter if you think you got your bang for the buck, it is not worth it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bobeena430
Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed August 26, 2010

Me and a few of my friends spent spring break 09 here. We were actually very pleased with our stay at this hotel. I had read that it is one of the oldest hotels on the island so I expected less from it. The room was nice enough and clean but needed updating. The sliding door to our balcony was a little hard to open but we managed. There was a big refrigerator in our rom and the little kitchen was decent. I also liked the fact that was enough counter space for all of us girls stuff to get ready for our day. The view from our balcony was nice, we had a nice view of the beach AND Padre Blvd. Even though it was spring break the noise level wasnt near as loud as I expected so it really wasnt difficult to sleep. The hotel was right on the beach and we loved the fact that we could just walk right onto the beach and it was a short distance to "Coca Cola" beach. We also walked everywhere ( eat, shop, clubs) it was located near alot of things. The parking wasnt too bad. We were able to actually find a parking spot both times we did leave in the car. Due to Hurricane Dolly they only had one working elevator and it ran VERY slow. We typically decided to walk up the 7 flights of stairs because it was actually quicker than taking the elevator. The front desk staff was very nice also. The room was booked in my name and I forgot my ID at home and had overnighted to the hotel friday morning. They went ahead and let us check in Thursday afternoon even without my ID. Also the view in the lobby of the beach was pretty. The only complaint I had is that at check out time they had the security guard check out our room (as they do with all rooms during spring break) and he was very rude to me because I didnt have ALL of our items out of the room. The only thing I had left to get was the food in the refrigerator and he got mad and puffed on about how I shouldnt of had front desk send him up to my room if I didnt have all my stuff out and that he wasnt coming in until it was gone because I wasnt going to blame him if anything came up missing (which nothing was). You shouldnt be rude to your customers just because they are spring breakers. Not all spring breakers are stupid and break things or accuse staff of stealing. You shouldnt be rude to your customers AT ALL. However, I would totally stay at this hotel again next time we go to SPI.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends