“Perfect vacation spot”

The Palms Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
“Perfect vacation spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2009

Cute, modern hotel on the beach with great beachside cafe (fantastic food) and heated pool (great for january visit). Very friendly staff who were very helpful in planning activities during our visit. The rooms were good size and very clean. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. My only complaint is that the bathroom fixtures needed some work. The sink knob kept falling off and it was almost impossible to turn the shower on as the knob was stuck in the tub position. But I will definitely return.

• Liked — location, cafe
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Wellington31

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2008

But is it the best place to stay on SPI? That will probably depend on the person and the nature of your visit. Read on. There is a lot to like about this motel. The rooms are well appointed with a wall mounted flat screen TV, two areas separated by a wall with a small kitchen/sitting area with a fridge, sink and microwave, and a bedroom area with a bathroom and shower in the remainder of the room.

The room was clean and well maintained although I found a pair of panties just under the bed that I carefully disposed of in the trash with my toes.

The restaurant is nice although the menu is a bit on the pricey side. They serve breakfast lunch and dinner and the food is good. But $4.75 for a 12 ounce Dos Equis? Come on guys.

The front desk staff were very helpful and accommodating.

I travel a good deal and spend a lot of time in hotel rooms. This chain is suited for for short visits with family or a girl friend getaway. The room is not well suited for the business traveler. As the rooms do not come with a small desk, blow dryer, iron or board. Although I was told I could get some of those at the front desk but who wants to lug that stuff up and down stairs? The rooms weren't really designed for long term but still they are nice and for the most part clean. The wireless internet service was spotty at times in my room. I had to move

Overall The Palm "Resort" is a nice motel property and as I said well maintained. The owner and staff clearly work hard to meet the needs of their guests.

• Liked — Well maintained, clean, nicely decorated rooms. Staff are very attentive and helpful.
  • Disliked — Not best suited for long term or busines travelers. Wireless internet was weak at times.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
4 Thank Chase71
Austin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2008

Husband and I stayed here from August 29- Sept 1st. Booked it based on the reviews I have read here. I have stayed at several other places on S. Padre for four years in a row, and this is definately the best! I was happier staying here than at pricier places like the Sheraton. The staff is very friendly from the moment we checked in to the service at the attached cafe. You need to appreciate the esthetic and nostalgia of the past motor inns to really appreciate the uniqueness of The Palms. I loved its quaint size, (maybe 20 rooms or so?) and that the rooms open up from the outside- no standing in line for cramped elevators here. Its so quiet and civilized compared to some of the larger placed I have stayed on the island. It was worth every penny.
The rooms are clean, they allow dogs(!) and they have their own cool little cafe- no need to even drive to eat. I will say that the service at the cafe varied by the day and who was working. But over all it was good.
The salads were pretty skimpy for the price, but the seafood such as the shrimp cocktail was super fresh.
I wish the Palms great continued success and we will definately be back!!!

• Liked — quiet and peaceful, easy beach access
  • Disliked — cant think of anything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank roomagooAustin
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

We booked our room based purely on reviews we read on TripAdvisor and we could not have been happier. My wife and I went for our 1 year anniversary and stayed for 4 days and 3 nights, and our two beagles shared the room with us. On the drive down, I decided I needed to make sure that we got a ground floor room because of the dogs and I gave them a call. They were extremely accommodating, changing our room to a ground floor one and also making sure that our room was ready for us when we arrived, even though we got there 2 hours before their specified check-in time! They didn’t act annoyed or short with us, but just gave us great service.
Upon arriving at the hotel we pulled up and the size of the place is the first thing we noticed. It is small, only two floors, and a little older looking. It is not the flashiest place to stay, but it is very comfortable and quaint. When I went to the front office the girl working the front desk and the manager named Janet came out and spoke with me and were exceedingly friendly and helpful. Janet even knocked a little off the charge for dogs for me, there is a $30 one-time charge per dog, because of how small our dogs are and because of the fact that they would be in a kennel for most of the time.
The rooms are well laid out, with a three-fourth’s size fridge, microwave, mini sink in the kitchen area, cutting board, lots of counter space and cabinets for a hotel room and even has a collection of drinking glasses and cups. The floor was all tile which was a godsend because of all the sand and water that you bring in even when you try and clean off. The bed was comfortable with two pillows on it and two more in the closet. They aren’t the fluffiest, but we like to use only one each at home so it was great! The bath and body works coconut-lime bathroom stuff was great. It made for a perfect tropical clean-up after playing on the beach.
We did not ask for maid service on any of the days we stayed there, but we did ask for more linens each day to go ahead and change the towels out and the staff was very accommodating again. No one ever bothered us or our dogs during our stay. Our dogs were loud during one morning of our stay when we left them (which you aren’t supposed to do) in their kennel and went for a jet-ski ride in the bay. The room next to us complained because if was 7:45 (c’mon people wake up and enjoy life!). The staff never came to bother us about it, but I wanted to make sure the dogs had been quiet so I asked them when we came back and they were very polite in telling me that the room next door had complained and to try and make them be quiet early in the morning or late at night.
Finally, the best thing about this place is that it is clean and small. We were literally right on the beach. The hotel has a great path with some sort of synthetic material covering that leads down to the sand which makes for a comfortable walk. The beach was never crowded and it was clean and had umbrellas available for rent at a reasonable price ($20 a day, but prorated the later in the day you come). The fact that the hotel is small is great because you don’t have to go walking through hallways, up elevators to get back to your room. We just walked back and forth and got lunch, walked the dogs, and just a had a generally wonderful and relaxed time.
Basically, the Palms is nearby everything fun, it is relaxed, small, convenient, reasonably priced, clean, and the staff is extremely helpful and nice. When we go back to South Padre we are going to stay there and we will be sending all of our friends and family there as well.

• Liked — Convenient beach access, very clean
  • Disliked — small pool area, but we didn't ever use it!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jdtravels39
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2008

My family and I took a trip in late June to SPI and decided to stay at a non chain hotel / motel for the first time. After much research online and reading lots of reviews I decided we would try the Palms Resort. We arrived a bit early so I spoke with the front desk and they were extremely friendly and helpful. When I walked into the lobby/office I immediately noticed how clean it was. I was already impressed with that! We got into our room and found it to be spacious and clean. It was just 2 adults and 1 child so the room was big enough for all of us. My only complaint is that there was a very foul sulphuric smell that came from the shower drain when we would shower. It was pretty overwhelming at first but we got use to it. We stayed for 3 days and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. We got some drinks from the bar at the cafe and they were very tasty. The view from the cafe and pool area are like a little piece of heaven. The pool was warm and clean. They have an area to wash off as well when you are coming back from the beach and the direct beach access was a huge plus - especially when you have kids in tow. The overall grounds of the property are very well kept. The Palms Resort exceeded our expectations and we will for sure be staying there again! I would recommend this place to anyone going to SPI that likes to have beachfront views and access. They only allow 2 children per room (which is clearly noted on their website) so keep that in mind if you are a family of 4+.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank sseddog
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

This place was clean, had direct access to beach and the staff was very accomodating. We enjoyed the restaurant and drinks( a little pricey). The pool felt great after a long day at the beach. we took our two girls with us. The sleeper is only a twin and would not fit both of them. We made a bed on the floor and so it was a bit tight. I thought it was a double when I booked, but I may not have read closely enough. I liked the added touch of the Bath and Body stuff in the bathroom. Overall, a nice experience. Because of space, I might be tempted to stay elsewhere if price went up, but for the money, it was worth the trip.

• Liked — proximity to beach
  • Disliked — space for a family of four
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank MELISSA K
Kyle, TX
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. 2 adults and 4 kids. Kids ages 5-10. One evening we receive a knock on the door from a lady who peers in the room and asks if we have 4 kids. I say yes and she says that the hotel doesn't allow more than 2 kids and that they will charge 30 dollars extra per child. Now, this lady had no uniform or shirt with the hotel logo, I thought she was just some visitor as well, but she might have worked there. Any ways, her visit wasn't too pleasant.

The next day at check out, i get my bill and see the charge for 65 dollars each night. I question it and they said that only 2 children are permitted, because of noise and mess that they make. She then mentioned that they usually ask people to leave immediately when there are more than 4 kids in the room. I guess to make me feel lucky to not have to live in the streets. I couldn't very well get a 2nd room and put 2 of our kids in it by themselves. I tell them that it is not a very family friendly hotel, and they say yes, just not to families over 4 people.

Stayed June 2008
5 Thank beto_pwnage
tmetty, Owner at The Palms Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2008
There is much more to the story than this reviewer is telling. I am the owner of the Palms Resort, and I was there when this incident occurred. I wasn't surprised to see his comments, since he threatened to do this as he was leaving. Here is the rest of the story. The guest was asked, when he made the reservation and when he checked in, how many people would be in the room. He said 2 (both times). Our occupancy limits are are very clear and well publicized on our website, on all worldwide reservations systems, and in our literature. There are also signs posted in the lobby of the hotel. We are very clear that the maximum occupancy per room is 2 adults and 2 small children. There is only one bed in the room and and a "love seat size" pull out sofa. Not nearly enough room for 2 adults and 4 children. Our experience has shown that more than 2 children in a room leads to damage and disturbances, so we have consistently adhered to our policy. Back to this situation: On the evening of the second day of their stay, we received a complaint from another guest about the number of children in that room. We tried for two hours to locate the guest. They finally returned to their room shortly after 10pm. Our front desk associate (wearing the same uniform shirt that all of our employees wear) went to the room and asked if they had 4 children in the room. They admitted they did. Our policy (which is also stated in the Guest Information Book in their room) states that unregistered guests that exceed the occupancy limit will be charged at a rate of $30 per person per night (plus mandatory occupancy tax), or they will be asked to check out of the hotel. Since it was late at night and there were small children involved, we decided to charge the penalty rather than ask them to leave. They quickly agreed to pay the penalty and all was fine. They didn't have to pack up and leave, and we had a little extra money to cover the extra cleaning the room would undoubtedly need. When they checked out the next morning however, they objected to the charge, and threatened to give us a bad rating on Trip Advisor. All my explanations fell on deaf ears. He suggested that our solution was to put small children in a separate room. I explained that we never would have suggested (or allowed) that. Instead, had he told us he had 4 children, we would have recommended another hotel. After they left, I personally went to the room to inspect it. The room looked like a cyclone had blown through it. There were black marks on the walls, the pictures hung crooked, there were red stains on the floor, and the refrigerator looked like it had its own personal party inside (yuk!). The room was trashed. It took hours for our staff to clean it, including touching up the walls. So, there you have the rest of the story. It reconfirmed to me, as the owner, that our policy of no more than 2 small children in a room is a good one. Thanks for being interested in hearing the rest the story.