“Liked this place until I had an A/C problem”
Review of The Palms Resort

The Palms Resort
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Austin,Tx
“Liked this place until I had an A/C problem”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I've been staying at the Palms for years, overlooked the dated small rooms and thought the staff was always pleasant, and loved the place.As time went by we considered upgrading but the Palms seemed so "real" But this trip we had noise problems and an A/C that went out. The manager was so argumentative and combative I was taken aback. These problems would have been easy to remedy, She just made us feel unwelcome and a bother. I could never stay in this place again after that. The management has been in the hospitality business too long and needs a new perspective.

Room Tip: You want have much of an ocean view so it doesn't matter much
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AJOJH
tmetty, Owner at The Palms Resort, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
We work very hard to delight every guest each time they stay with us. We deeply appreciate all of our guests, and love it when they come back year after year. But every innkeeper knows that every once in a while, no matter how hard we try, we just can’t please certain guests. Such was the case with this guest. They have stayed with us several times in the past, and always request the same premium guest room – which has one of the best views of the water and is near our Cafe. We accommodated several “reschedules” by this guest, but because they have stayed with us before, we agreed to honor the discounted off-season rate, even though they would now be staying with us during our peak season.

They checked in on Wednesday for a four-night stay. On Saturday morning, they called the front desk to report that their a/c unit wasn’t working. The guest said he had “played around with it and reset the breaker” but it still wasn’t cooling. We immediately sent maintenance to the room. The guest had actually set the a/c unit to “Heat”. We reset the a/c unit and it immediately started cooling. Our Manager called to confirm it was working, and let them know if they had any more trouble with the unit we would replace it (which takes just a few minutes). About an hour later they called and said it had stopped working again. They demanded to be moved to another room. We repeated our offer to replace the unit instead of them having to pack and move their things, but they insisted on moving. We accommodated their request.

With regard to the noise, we run a quiet, laid back place on the beach. No live music and we close at 10pm every night. This guest always requests the same room…which is very close to the Café. It is one of our most popular rooms because it is on the top floor, giving one of the best beach views. We’ve never had a complaint about noise in that room, and they didn’t call the front desk to report noise…so I can’t figure out what “noise problems” they had.

I’m always sorry when things aren’t perfect for our guests. In this case, we tried very hard to please this guest as soon as we knew there was a problem. We have a 24 hour emergency telephone number posted in all guest rooms, but they never called that number. Regardless, as a courtesy, we did not charge them for the night they had trouble with the a/c unit. Clearly, one free night, the deeply discounted off-peak room rate, and the offer to replace the a/c unit wasn’t enough to delight this particular guest. We’re sorry for that, but you can bet that we’ll keep trying to delight our guests!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Grand Island, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed May 27, 2013

What a great experience for a vacation resort. On the beach, great food and the staff was AWESOME. We did not even get in the car to go anywhere. Stayed on the beach or the pool. Room rate was a good price and the view of the ocean was once again AWESOME!!!! Great resuarants were within walking distance.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sue S
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I have not stayed at this hotel. But after being on the island a week and going to a different cafe each morning, this cafe was my favorite. Every cafe met my needs, and every one had courteous staff and good food. But this little waterfront cafe has outside seating, with a nice view and I loved sitting there. I would call it casual dining. I stayed for 2 hours as I write while I eat and have coffee and the staff was polite and kept bringing me fresh tasty brew. I may try and stay here next visit as the rooms look pretty nice, and it has a great location on the beach.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank paca1957
Libertyville, Illinois
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The rooms are very clean and the staff couldn't be more friendly. A great location just to walk down the beach. Has a restaurant with a view of the Gulf which is very convenient. The only suggestions we would make is the coffee maker is very small (just two mugs, basically) a challenge for java-holics, and there wasn't much space around the sink to lay out our toiletries. Otherwise good value for the money.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tosawest74
Troy, Ohio
Reviewed February 16, 2013

OK, it's on the ocean, but don't expect to see it, unless you go to the restaurant. The front desk was accommodating but not overly welcoming. The room, yuck. Very old, beat up, NOISY air conditioner, just icky. As a "suite", it was the smallest I've ever seen. Not worth the cost.

Room Tip: Nice chains on the North end of the island.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank parthelynx
tmetty, Owner at The Palms Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
I’m so sorry that our guests from Ohio were disappointed with their stay. They stayed with us last week in one of our most popular rooms (#102). It is on the 1st floor at the northwest corner of the building. The best views of the water are on the 2nd floor of the south side of our building. Those are also our most expensive rooms. We never want to “over promise”, so we explain to our first-time guests that our rooms face north and south and the water is to the east…so they won’t have direct water views from most of our rooms. Having said that, this particular room is one of our most popular rooms in part because it is just a few feet from the beach access. The water views from the beach access are spectacular.

I was surprised by the “yuk” and “icky” comments and that the room was old and beat up. This particular room has several upgrades including granite counter tops in the kitchen area and the bath, a wall-mounted flat panel TV, and some cute beach-scene art. We work very hard to monitor the condition of each of our 28 guest rooms and address maintenance issues immediately. In addition to our daily housekeeping inspections, we do a thorough 47-point cosmetic and mechanical inspection of each guest room every 30-45 days. I checked the last inspection report for this particular room to make sure we had addressed everything found during the last inspection. The closet door needed some paint touch up, which was taken care of in mid January. The room has been occupied almost non-stop since then so we haven’t been able to do this month’s inspection yet. It is certainly possible that there are new items that need our attention, although none of the guests that have occupied that room in the past month, including these guests from Ohio, brought anything to our attention during their stay. The current occupant of that room is a repeat guest that always asks for that room. They’re staying for a week, so as soon as they check-out, we’ll do a complete inspection to see if we need to do anything else to that room. We called them as soon as we saw this posting to see if the a/c unit is making noise. They said it was fine….but one guest’s “white noise” can be just plain “noise” to another guest. Regardless, the customer is always right so as soon as we can gain access to the room we’ll take a closer look.

With regard to the size of the room, all of our rooms were originally built as one bedroom condominiums. They’re each about 340 s.f. They have a sleeper sofa sitting area; kitchenette with refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker; dining table and chairs; and a sleeping area with a full bath – most with an oversize walk-in shower. We refer to our rooms as mini-suites mainly to differentiate them from ordinary hotel rooms. I know some people prefer the big chain high rise hotels. We offer our guests a more personal, laid back atmosphere with clean, well appointed accommodations, direct beach access and an outstanding restaurant with breathtaking views of the ocean. We’re not perfect, but we sure work hard every day to be better than we were the day before.

Thanks to those that take the time to post on Trip Advisor ….you help make us better!
San Marcos, Texas
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have stayed at the Palms Resort twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. Keep in mind that I'm a female in my mid-50s and I prefer a laid-back down-home feeling as opposed to upscale modern amenities. I like the fact that the rooms feel like a little apartment as opposed to a hotel room. Even though I've only spent a night at a time here, I am certain I would be comfortable spending a month or two here. They have a fridge, microwave, coffee-maker, internet and cable TV. They are right on the beach and have a restaurant on-site. I will have to say that I think the restaurant is a little pricey, but then again, I think ALL the restaurants on South Padre Island are pricey.

This is just a small, two-story property, and not a large resort-type hotel. Be prepared for that, or you will be disappointed if you are expecting frills. It is cute, clean, and the employees are courteous and helpful. It all depends on what you want in a vacation. If you want top-of-the-line amenities with all the luxuries, go to one of the high-end resorts on the island. If you want just a comfortable homey and cozy feel, you'll feel at home at the Palms Resort.

One thing I would suggest is that they update their TVs to larger flat screen units that sit lower on the walls. Even though I don't watch a lot of TV when I'm on vacation, the units they have near the ceiling that tilt to the living and bedroom areas are dated and small and it's kind of uncomfortable to have to look up so high to watch TV. Just my opinion.

I would have posted pictures of my unit, but they look exactly like the others already posted.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank isladeb
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 20, 2012

While 'resort' may be a little grand for the size of this hotel, it's a very pleasant place to stay by the beach. The rooms are small suites on the order of an efficiency apartment, nicely decorated, clean , and comfortable.

The freshly painted canary walls are hung with unique paintings and prints with a beach theme. Curtains and lampshades display tropical leaf motifs. The sofa-sleeper in the sitting room is small and firm but serviceable.

The place is quiet and relaxing.

The Cafe on the Beach is a fun little spot to eat or drink within sight and hearing of the surf.

The beach is a short walk across the dune, and of course it is the finest in Texas, with clean sand and beautiful aquamarine water.

Padre Island Brewing, the execellent pub, is a few blocks walk toward the bay.

We were a little non-plussed to arrive to find the sign out front advertising a rate much lower than the one we got with our online reservation. Vouchers for a shrimp basket were a small consolation. Next time we'll call ahead a few days in advance. Even so, our online rate was pretty good.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms on the east end have the best beach view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple