There are pluses and minuses for this property, so I'll try to be unbiased and let you decide if it's the place for you!
First: please note that this is the Seabreeze I condos...NOT the Seabreeze Beach Resort Condos. They are two different properties and in no way affiliated.
After doing a lot of comparison, we booked this condo (2 bed/2bath) for the standard $300/night summer rate. On the up side, this is possibly the most square footage with the best view on the entire island for the price. But that's what you are paying for...space and location.
We had a late check in and everything was just perfect when we got there. No trouble at all.
The hotel is billed as a quieter place, not catering to the spring-break or college type croud. For the most part, and compared to other places on the island, this is very true. We were traveling with a party of 4...myself, husband, 2 year old son, and my 25 year old brother in law. We didn't mind a little "family noise", but if we had been honey-mooning it might have been a bit irritating as there were constantly lots of kids in the pool (nice children and families, and as quiet as you could expect anyone to be while still having fun!) and all the balconies look over the pool area. On the other hand, the windows were thick and we could sleep in with the patio doors shut without ever hearing a peep from those at the pool (we were on the 4th floor unit 403) or on the beach.
As for the room, it was average for this price range and I have no major complaints. Didn't see any other units so don't have a comparison, but I was pleased with it. There was almost everything you could want in the kitchen, but no cookie sheet (as I found out when trying to cook a pizza) or can opener. The master bedroom overlooks the ocean and opens onto the patio; the 2nd bedroom is on the back side without a view...we were right by the elevator so my brother had to use a fan to help drown the noise of anyone coming and going in the morning. Not a critical flaw, but something to be aware of depending on who you are traveling with. Master had an in-suite bath which was very nicely updated, while the 2nd bath could really have used some updating (clean, but old and cheep). TV's in each bedroom + living room; spacious patio with plenty of seating. Laundry room was an amazing feature...as you walk in the unit the laundry room door is right there and there was more than enough space to park wet beach things, sandy stroller, numerous boogie boards, etc. and still have room to get to the washer and dryer! It kept the unit clean and uncluttered not having all that sandy beach stuff floating around the room. Dryer made a terrible racket, but it worked.
Location is amazing; it's right on the beach and you have the most beautiful view out of the master and living! As others have noted, getting across the soft, hot sand to the beach can be a (minor) pain, but if you are willing to walk about 15 more steps you can use the wooden board walk which is right next to the hotel.
Internet: some units have wireless and others have a plug in. Just be sure to ask when you make your reservation. Our unit had neither, but they gave us the login code for a couple of the wireless signals which were right around us and it worked just fine.
Pool is plain (nothing fancy), but it was fun and always kept quite clean. Hot tub was hot and felt nice on sore muscles after a long day playing in the ocean.
Now for a few complaints:
1) Maid left wet laundry in the washer which I found a couple days after we had been there when I went to do laundry...it was a load of sheets and comforter. Also, the master had been made up but the sheets did not look like they had been changed...they were really sandy. Mentioned this to management and they were very apologetic, and promised to look into it. Hey, accidents happen and at least they were concerned!
2) Plug in master was not working and looked like it had been melted...also mentioned this to the management as we were leaving; they were again genuinely concerned and they made note of it and said they would get it fixed.
3) There is ZERO service...if you are looking for a true home-away-from-home (meaning you take care of everything yourself) this is it. That's ok, but I did not notice that from reading their website and didn't realise until we ran out of toilet paper and asked at the office for some more...and was told they only start you off with some, and then if you need anything else you are on your own! I was a little annoyed since I felt like that wasn't made clear and for $300/night I expect at least some basics (TP, paper towel, trash bags). To their credit they were very sweet and gave me a couple extra rolls as well as an extra trash bag so I didn't have to run out right then and there to the grocery store.
4) Be advised: there is no fresh towel service (there were plenty of towels in our unit, but we got to wash them ourselves), no extra toilet paper, no paper towel, no dish soap, no extra trash bags, etc. Not a big deal as long you are know ahead of time and are OK with that.
5) Elevator is on "island time" (i.e. it's slow!) The combo of sandy feet and water from people going back to their rooms from the beach or pool combines to make a rather muddy mess on old tile floor in the elevator. Don't think there is anything management can do about that, but it it is a little icky. I would recommend they replace the cracked tiles though...it would help a lot with the appearance, if not the sandy mess :-)
6) Parking is limited; you have one reserved space and you can double park two cars in it...which means you have to move cars around a lot depending on who needs to get in or out. Don't know what you do if you have more than two cars, so be sure to check with the office before booking if that would be a problem for you.
On the whole, if you know what you are getting for your money I would recommend this hotel!
About South Padre:
I grew up spending summers on the island at my grandparents house, and have so many fond memories! SP is a fun and relaxing island, so take time to just soak up the sun enjoy the kid-friendly beach and ocean. Also:
- Port Isabel Light House: so much fun and a piece of history you don't want to miss; take an hour to visit it...you will be surprised how much taller it feels from the top, and they views and photo ops of the causeway and island can't be beat!
- Also make sure to visit the other two Port Isabel museums which are just a black away; I'm not a huge museum person, but these are awesome and will be fun for the whole family!
- Check out the UT research center on the island...sounds boring, but you will be glad you went!
- Sea turtle rescue center: didn't make it this time, but it's fun especially for the kids.
- After 27 years I finally decided to try surfing and it was a BLAST! I'm hooked! Call the South Padre Surf Co. for a lesson...they are amazing and you will have a great time!
- Don't forget the fireworks on the weekends! We took a picnic dinner of Taco Bell down to the bay side and sat at the end of a street to watch the fireworks...so fun.
- Make sure to spend one evening on the north end of the island, as sunsets behind the dunes will give you a whole new appreciation for the beauty of Texas! Just keep driving until the road ends, and enjoy shell hunting on the beach while you wait for the sunset.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Seabreeze 1 is located directly on the beach, overlooking the beautiful Gulf of Mexico. We specialize in 2 bedroom, 2 bath condominiums. We are your home away from home where you are treated like family. Each unit has a spacious living room, dining area, full kitchen, master bedroom, guest bedroom, two full bathrooms, and a large private balcony facing the ocean (3/3 and 4/4 units also available). All units are completely furnished and fully equipped with linens, cooking utensils, dinnerware, washer/dryer, and cable television in each room. We have a HEATED pool and Hot Tub too! Come join the Seabreeze 1 family for your next beach vacation. We cater to families and couples looking for a quiet and relaxing beach escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity and Hotwire so you can book your Seabreeze 1 Condominiums reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Seabreeze 1 Condominiums Hotel South Padre Island