“Awesome Place! Great Location, Facilities, & Management!”

Seabreeze 1 Condominiums
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We've been to Seabreeze I every summer for the past 4 years and couldn't be happier. The condos are all very well cared for and the management is very friendly and efficient. The pool is great, every condo has a great view of the beach, and the condos have great floorplans. There's a nice shower in the pool area you can wash off with before heading back to your room. You really can't ask for a better location. The beach in this area isn't too crowded and you're walking distance to restaurants & a gas station. Wanna Wanna Beach Bar is a 5 minute walk. The Blue Marlin (grocery) is less than a mile away.

Room Tip: Every room we've stayed in has been nice. Lots of morning sunlight b/c it faces east.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Eric B

Reviewed July 27, 2011

I reviewed this property as a "Four Star" after staying there last year...after returning again this summer I'm upping it to a "Five Star"!

For details on the property you can see my review from last year...this time the unit we stayed in was lovely and the kitchen was very well stocked, but what I appreciated the most was the management.

- We had a late check in and everything was perfect upon arrival
- Since last summer the elevators have a nice, clean new floor and run much faster
- As before: grounds are kept very clean, pool was nice and clean, hot tub was clean and hot, management was very responsive (our AC unit went out half way through the trip...notified management and they had the AC repair man there within an hour to fix it).

We will most certainly be coming back to the Seabreeze 1 - great value for the square footage you get in the rooms.

Note to management: on the one hand having the condos and pool area locked so well is wonderful and there is never anyone straying off the beach to "bum around" the pool area...on the other hand, having to take your key with you at ALL times gets so frustrating. Please consider replacing the key locks on the pool gates with a key-pad like you have on the front gate...with only two room keys (and 4 adults), someone was always getting locked out of the pool or having the take the long way around to the beach.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank DaisyLou111
Reviewed July 27, 2010

There are pluses and minuses for this property, so I'll try to be unbiased and let you decide if it's the place for you!

First: please note that this is the Seabreeze I condos...NOT the Seabreeze Beach Resort Condos. They are two different properties and in no way affiliated.

After doing a lot of comparison, we booked this condo (2 bed/2bath) for the standard $300/night summer rate. On the up side, this is possibly the most square footage with the best view on the entire island for the price. But that's what you are paying for...space and location.

We had a late check in and everything was just perfect when we got there. No trouble at all.

The hotel is billed as a quieter place, not catering to the spring-break or college type croud. For the most part, and compared to other places on the island, this is very true. We were traveling with a party of 4...myself, husband, 2 year old son, and my 25 year old brother in law. We didn't mind a little "family noise", but if we had been honey-mooning it might have been a bit irritating as there were constantly lots of kids in the pool (nice children and families, and as quiet as you could expect anyone to be while still having fun!) and all the balconies look over the pool area. On the other hand, the windows were thick and we could sleep in with the patio doors shut without ever hearing a peep from those at the pool (we were on the 4th floor unit 403) or on the beach.

As for the room, it was average for this price range and I have no major complaints. Didn't see any other units so don't have a comparison, but I was pleased with it. There was almost everything you could want in the kitchen, but no cookie sheet (as I found out when trying to cook a pizza) or can opener. The master bedroom overlooks the ocean and opens onto the patio; the 2nd bedroom is on the back side without a view...we were right by the elevator so my brother had to use a fan to help drown the noise of anyone coming and going in the morning. Not a critical flaw, but something to be aware of depending on who you are traveling with. Master had an in-suite bath which was very nicely updated, while the 2nd bath could really have used some updating (clean, but old and cheep). TV's in each bedroom + living room; spacious patio with plenty of seating. Laundry room was an amazing feature...as you walk in the unit the laundry room door is right there and there was more than enough space to park wet beach things, sandy stroller, numerous boogie boards, etc. and still have room to get to the washer and dryer! It kept the unit clean and uncluttered not having all that sandy beach stuff floating around the room. Dryer made a terrible racket, but it worked.

Location is amazing; it's right on the beach and you have the most beautiful view out of the master and living! As others have noted, getting across the soft, hot sand to the beach can be a (minor) pain, but if you are willing to walk about 15 more steps you can use the wooden board walk which is right next to the hotel.

Internet: some units have wireless and others have a plug in. Just be sure to ask when you make your reservation. Our unit had neither, but they gave us the login code for a couple of the wireless signals which were right around us and it worked just fine.

Pool is plain (nothing fancy), but it was fun and always kept quite clean. Hot tub was hot and felt nice on sore muscles after a long day playing in the ocean.

Now for a few complaints:
1) Maid left wet laundry in the washer which I found a couple days after we had been there when I went to do laundry...it was a load of sheets and comforter. Also, the master had been made up but the sheets did not look like they had been changed...they were really sandy. Mentioned this to management and they were very apologetic, and promised to look into it. Hey, accidents happen and at least they were concerned!

2) Plug in master was not working and looked like it had been melted...also mentioned this to the management as we were leaving; they were again genuinely concerned and they made note of it and said they would get it fixed.

3) There is ZERO service...if you are looking for a true home-away-from-home (meaning you take care of everything yourself) this is it. That's ok, but I did not notice that from reading their website and didn't realise until we ran out of toilet paper and asked at the office for some more...and was told they only start you off with some, and then if you need anything else you are on your own! I was a little annoyed since I felt like that wasn't made clear and for $300/night I expect at least some basics (TP, paper towel, trash bags). To their credit they were very sweet and gave me a couple extra rolls as well as an extra trash bag so I didn't have to run out right then and there to the grocery store.

4) Be advised: there is no fresh towel service (there were plenty of towels in our unit, but we got to wash them ourselves), no extra toilet paper, no paper towel, no dish soap, no extra trash bags, etc. Not a big deal as long you are know ahead of time and are OK with that.

5) Elevator is on "island time" (i.e. it's slow!) The combo of sandy feet and water from people going back to their rooms from the beach or pool combines to make a rather muddy mess on old tile floor in the elevator. Don't think there is anything management can do about that, but it it is a little icky. I would recommend they replace the cracked tiles though...it would help a lot with the appearance, if not the sandy mess :-)

6) Parking is limited; you have one reserved space and you can double park two cars in it...which means you have to move cars around a lot depending on who needs to get in or out. Don't know what you do if you have more than two cars, so be sure to check with the office before booking if that would be a problem for you.

On the whole, if you know what you are getting for your money I would recommend this hotel!

About South Padre:
I grew up spending summers on the island at my grandparents house, and have so many fond memories! SP is a fun and relaxing island, so take time to just soak up the sun enjoy the kid-friendly beach and ocean. Also:
- Port Isabel Light House: so much fun and a piece of history you don't want to miss; take an hour to visit it...you will be surprised how much taller it feels from the top, and they views and photo ops of the causeway and island can't be beat!
- Also make sure to visit the other two Port Isabel museums which are just a black away; I'm not a huge museum person, but these are awesome and will be fun for the whole family!
- Check out the UT research center on the island...sounds boring, but you will be glad you went!
- Sea turtle rescue center: didn't make it this time, but it's fun especially for the kids.
- After 27 years I finally decided to try surfing and it was a BLAST! I'm hooked! Call the South Padre Surf Co. for a lesson...they are amazing and you will have a great time!
- Don't forget the fireworks on the weekends! We took a picnic dinner of Taco Bell down to the bay side and sat at the end of a street to watch the fireworks...so fun.
- Make sure to spend one evening on the north end of the island, as sunsets behind the dunes will give you a whole new appreciation for the beauty of Texas! Just keep driving until the road ends, and enjoy shell hunting on the beach while you wait for the sunset.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
24  Thank DaisyLou111
Reviewed December 15, 2009

We were very happy to arrive at the Seabreeze I, it was a beautiful location right on the beach. Unfortunately, they were experiencing red tide in South Padre at the time we were there. This only occurs about once every 5 years or so. It irritates your nose and throat so we couldn't keep the patio door open to enjoy the breezes and sound of the ocean.

The condo was spacious and comfortable but the furnishings were old there were signs of disrepair in the unit. There was a hole in the wall in the bathroom and a big crack in the toilet seat. Why not just replace the seat? They're cheap. Overall, we had a pleasant stay at the condo. I just think it could have been nicer for the price.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kiana_8
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Been there twice in the "off-season" -- absolutely great each time. The second time, I thought there would be 2 twin beds in the 2nd bedroom (as we had on the first visit), but there was one queen! Not a huge deal, because we were one couple and two friends, and I just slept on the comfy couch! If this is important to you, you should ask in advance.
The people who said that furniture, etc. was outdated, yes, that's true. But in the condos we had, it felt very comforting. In our condos and ones we visited, I never saw anything "worn out." Late 70s is as far back as the decor goes! HaHa! And, TRUE, all utensils, towels, dishes, pots, pans are there. We always had a micro, dishwasher, and fully appointed kitchen, & washer & dryer, and I assume each unit has these items. IT FELT LIKE I WAS STAYING AT A FRIEND'S HOUSE. Just lovely. But to put it in perspective, I could never complain, because of the incredible view...
The Beach. Like, RIGHT THERE. Don't like sand? There are two pools, RIGHT THERE. And a hot-tub. And, at the times I went, some of the nicest people you could want to meet (adults mostly). OH! And it is friendly to well-behaved dogs! Hello? SPI loves dogs! There is nothing like walking your pup on the beach, 100 steps from your door, at sunrise! (AND picking up his poop of course! Dog owners KNOW to be courteous at SPI! Yay! )
If you want to be alone, you can be alone. If you want to walk a few steps down the beach to WannaWanna's and party, go for it. Live music? Right there.
Get ready to just relax and don't expect the Four Seasons. It is CLEAN and COMFORTABLE, great for the price, and I would go there in a second! Just writing this review makes me want to drive down right now! I will be there in October, I hope! One additional note: There are very few people there in the off-season, so it can be like having your own private beach at times...

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
3  Thank JKHouse
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Seabreeze was the best of all the places we've stayed at on the island.
Condo was very spacious and nicely decorated.
Jacuzzi and 2 nice size pools were right outside the door.
Office manager was rude but other than that, everything was great!

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank lou1971
Reviewed June 30, 2009

This was our 1st trip to SPI. We usually go to Port Aransas. I will always love Port Aransas but the beaches in S. Padre are so much better and there are more things for older kids & teens to do. We stayed in #501, a 2br/2ba condo and couldn't have been more pleased. It was clean, nicely decorated, and the living room and master bedroom had a fabulous view of the beach - straight on, not angled where you have to go to the rail and turn 90 degrees to see anything. The kitchen was stocked with everything, there were plenty of towels, and a full size washer/dryer. The pool area was very nice with a beach view, and the folks in the office were so nice to us. One family member has a bad back and arthritis so I was glad there was an elevator. She did wish there was easier access to the beach - you have to go down 5 or 6 kind of narrow steps to get to the bottom of the seawall and then go thru the soft, white and very deep sand. A boardwalk would have been really great. I only mentioned this for the benefit of folks with back and walking problems. We loved the place and want to come back again - like next week! (I wish)

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family