“Roaches Everywhere-couldn't get away from them”
Review of Wanna Wanna Inn

Wanna Wanna Inn
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Disgusting!!! We're from San Antonio, so we have seen our share of roaches...the big nasty ones, sometimes referred to as water roaches. These were everywhere in the room. They were coming out of the cupboards, where the dishes were, out of the bathroom, in the closet, from under the front door, which had a 1/2 inch gap.
We checked out after the second day. The only good thing was, we paid for a week, but they refunded the other three days.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed April 29, 2010

I care about 3 things in a hotel room: view (when available, obviously), bed comfort, cleanliness. I also care about value and love to travel in the off- and shoulder seasons. I returned to the Wanna Wanna Inn for a few days between having dental work done in Mexico (professionally and way cheaper than U.S.) and a deadline that required net connection and writing space. Voila, I was back at the Wanna Wanna, and scored the best room in the house, #110: a roomy double with mini-fridge and microwave and a sliding glass door that opens to a view of the ocean just yards away. I arrived on the weekend and parking was bad (take note of this during the summer) so unloading was not especially convenient. There's no elevator to the second floor so if someone in your party has trouble with stairs, stick with a ground floor room; the second floor rooms in general have good views. This is also pretty typical of beach hotels with tile floors and servicable bathrooms that have to deal with sand too. The internet connection was also low but never cause me any trouble or lag in the three days I was there. Once the week rolled around, the parking was perfect. The moon was full and rose gorgeously from the room's view and down on the beach, where the Wanna Wanna Grill offers a limited but yummy menu of fried foods like shrimp, fish, and corn dogs with the usual beer and beach drinks - good portions and no complaints! The bed was decently comfortable though I habitually removed the bedspread immediately and brought my own pillow. One bed has a spectacular view of the ocean and at night is dreamy. Didn't even need the AC this time of year and I found the ocean air clean and cool. I also appreciated the room-length mural of a freshwater refuge instead of the usual crappy shells and beach scenes. The TV reception wasn't so hot but my gaze keep traveling back to the water so I turned it off. This is a popular beach and popular area. Weekends and high seasons are likely to be crowded and noisy - comes with the territory. But on those off-times, shoulder season and midweek, especially during the winter when tourism is down and swimming is not recommended, this is a wonderful unpretentious little hotel is the perfect hideaway, getaway, or weekend refresher.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Margaret M
Reviewed April 20, 2010

We drive in from SA at least twice a year and always stay at Wanna Wanna......It is not the Hyatt Radison or Marriott but sometimes you just want laid back and causal. The bar is the best thing about the place.....location can not be topped. Volley ball, people watching.....they will all be there.....even the ones staying at the high dollar places. This is a great JImmy Buffet style dive with everything to offer; bands, right on the beach, water sports, clean rooms, bar with great food.....don't even have to leave your place to have a great time!!! Rock On Wanna Wanna!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank beachparty
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Just returned from 3 nights (August 27th - 29th) at the Wanna Wanna Inn and traveled with 3 other female family members - all aged 40's - 60's. The Wanna Wanna is a complete dive in the most wonderful sense of the word! If you are looking for a basic place to sleep and shower on the beach for a fair price, this place is it. If you are looking for luxury, peace and quiet - I suggest one of the nicer, more EXPENSIVE condos on the island. OK, enough said.

The Good
- Right on the beach
- Amazing Bar and Restaurant on the property
- Fantasic Live Music
- Super nice staff
- Cold A/C
- Full size fride in the room
- Felt very safe the entire time
- Fun, interesting people. : )

The Not So Good
- Old, dated decor
- Shower... well, um, I think it was a shower. But, got the sand off!
- Small, warm pool. But, who swims in the pool when you have the beach?
- Limited Parking

Don't go expecting much except basic accomodations. You are paying for location, not a fancy room. We had a blast and will go back. Even my normally fussy 60-something Aunt loved the place.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2009

For all the hype about this being a great "on the beach" place, they forget to mention that you may have NO place to park - except maybe a 1/2 mile away - and everyone there is all OK with this. I arrived Sunday, Aug 16th, 2009 and the closest place to park was .5 mile away. When I asked about the parking situation, I was told, "this is a public beach access and anyone can park where ever they want." So, my next question was, "There is no reserved parking for registered guests?" reply, "No...it will get better on Monday when the w/e crowd leaves... "
Just mentioning the parking would only be half of the story - let's review the check out details....No one was in the office on Tuesday at 7:10 pm. However, there was a hand written note on the door with this number to call for any questions : [--]...when I called that number, the message said, "the person at this number has not set up their mailbox - goodbye" ....So, I went to the bar and asked one of the bartenders who should I contact for check out questions....One of them happened to know the person who's name was attached to this number and he called her for me - allowed me to use his phone to discuss my check out question - we we all moved on - He shared with me that the person on call for the guests was moving that day so she was probably busy....
And one really nice touch was the quick response we had to being stuck in the room one morning - it took me 4 minutes to get the door open ... I went to the office and they did send a repairman immediately.
I would also like to mention the airconditioner - it worked great but don't plan on having a conversation while it is running...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank csndfw
Reviewed July 7, 2009

This was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. Their website offers picturs which the room did not even look like. We had the deluxe king. They supposedly had just remodled. Wrong. There were roaches in the shower as well as in the room. Bed was sagging and you could hear the guest in the room beside us like they were in the same room as us. We called the front desk and explained that there was roaches in our room and we were offered (what) not an apology but she said to come get a refund. So this is what we did. We not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank desafetylady
Reviewed June 27, 2009

Read all the reviews I could find before booking. Narrowed it down to Wanna Wanna or La Quinta...chose WW for the outside bar/grill and I made the right choice! the rooms are not luxury, but very clean, we drove from Dallas, & brought 2 cases of water ,so the fridge came in handy. We spent all our time on the beach, came back to the room only to shower and then hit the bar/grill for live music every night. loved it! we walked down the beach to the La Quinta and altho the hotel looked nicer, the beach area was not as nice or as lively. i'm satisfied in my choice as were my 21 year old son and 5 yr old grandson, both loved it! you must eat at Daddy's Seafood.....excellent!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family