“Do not stay here with your children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Blue Bay Inn & Suites
Ranked #23 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Mississippi
“Do not stay here with your children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed June 17, 2007

My husband and our two small children booked a stay here for our vacation. When we arrived, the staff was rude and disrespectful to us
and the hotel was only partially air conditioned(the hallways were incredibly hot). The room was dirty and the balconies were unsafe for
our two year old. The bathroom had half a shower curtain. We tried to
leave and stay elsewhere; however the desk clerk told us that our credit card was being run regardless of our displeasure and desire to stay. She screamed at us in front of our small children, but finally told us that our card was not run. When we retured home, the card WAS run without our authorization and we had to settle through the dispute department with the credit card. I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and I have never been treated so poorly. Stay ANYWHERE else. I would rather have slept in my car!

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank MississippiMomofTwo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Clearwater, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2006

Well due to the COLD weather at the time of our stay we only booked in for 1 night at this hotel.
We did enjoy the layout of the room - 3rd floor corner room with 2 beds, balcony overlooking the beach.....
The flooring/carpets in hotel and rooms could use a good shampooing or be replaced.
The rate was affordable.
Staff were friendly and cordial.

We would probably book again and recommend to family/friends in the future...

B & J Walker
bwalker6@telus.net
Wells Gray Country
BC, Canada

• Stayed February 2006
3 Thank PJWALKER13
Reviewed January 9, 2006

I stay in a lot of Choice Hotels properties, being a shareholder. I've probably been in 50+ Comfort Inns and Quality Inns (similar brands) over the last 7-8 years, so I'm familiar with its standards.
This was the first hotel that ever motivated me to complain to Choice Hotels (it took a while, but they finally offered to comp me a night).
Staff was rude at worst, perfunctory at best.
Housekeeping skipped our room one day.
They skipped our room the next day too! And we have a sneaking suspicion, and some logical inferences, that management did this on purpose because we complained about the first day.
Ants in the room - bed, sofa.
Breakfast "room" is a little nook - definitely not up to the brand's standards.
Staff's kids seem to play right in front of the entrance, and hang out behind the front desk. I prefer to deal with adults who keep their brats out of sight.
I think Choice does a good job of kicking out franchisees who don't measure up. Hopefully this hotel will be going independent, if not out of business entirely, very soon.

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these South Padre Island hotels

Reviewed October 27, 2005

Security treat the guests like children. Employees were rude. The fridges freeze everything.

• Stayed March 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, TX
Reviewed September 7, 2005

We stayed at the Quality Inn on S. Padre for two nights during a recent fishing trip. The room was nice with two double beds and clean. I paid $118 total for two nights (includes all taxes and charges) through expedia. Our room had complimentary high-speed internet access (not wireless). Wireless Internet access was only provided in the lobby. Bathroom was clean and sufficient. Overall, it was a nice clean hotel and I would stay there again.

Things they could have improved on:

1) The complimentary breakfast was below par for this type of hotel. I drank the juice and coffee and had Cherios. The donuts were bad. I also had toast. Those were about the only options.
2) The AC was off when we entered the room (late-August), so it was about 100 degrees. But it cooled off in a couple of hours.

6 Thank RedfisherHouston_TX
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2005

I took a group to this hotel and found it be a great find considering the cost of nearby hotels, you can not beat the average cost per room of $110 in the middle of summer. The facility itself is bright, airy, and clean. The whole ground level floor is tiled which is great considering the salt, sand, and water that comes through the doors each day from people.
I would certainly recommend the rooms that face the marina and pool due to the balconies and the pleasant view. The rooms themselves are very spacious and some of the most comfortable beds I have slept in for a chain hotel. The room I stayed in on the fourth floor had a safe and refigerator as well which was a nice bonus.
The huge breakfast room on the fourth floor with balcony seating was certainly more appealing than the actual breakfast but it got the job done. The location itself is very easy to find but will require a walk to the beach. We were very pleased with the pool and outdoor hot tub as well as the showers to come back to after swimming in the ocean.
Finally, I can not say enough at how helpful the staff was concerning good places to eat on the island or assisting us with extra towels or other needs. I would recommend others to stay at the Quality Inn and would myself again on another visit.

11 Thank pvilletraveler
Reviewed June 14, 2005

Picked this hotel due to website description. Most, not all front desk people were rude. Hotel appeared to still have damage from spring break (which was 3 months ago). Door to room wouldn't close right. Stains all over the carpets in room and hallways. Headboard to bed was not attached and banged against wall everytime you sat or laid on the bed. Room had a very strange odor. Room was bigger than most hotel rooms. If this hotel would take a little pride in its indoor appearance I probably would have had a different opinion. Just a note, getting into and out of the parking lot is a nightmare.

• Stayed June 2005