“Quaint Local Jewel”
Review of US Bar and Restaurant - CLOSED

US Bar and Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: U.S. Bar & Restaurant is a 100% Family Restaurant. We serve Mexican food, Sea food and Steaks.Family Owned since 1945, the first one was opened in matamoros.We want to bring good quality food, always made fresh, and a nice ambience to the island.Our margaritas are hand made as well as our salsas and every thing that you order from the menu will be made fresh.Enjoy our welcoming staff, friendly music and great food.
Austin, Texas
“Quaint Local Jewel”
Reviewed May 5, 2012

You are greeted as soon as you come in. Sit up at the bar and enjoy handmade margaritas (rocks or frozen) with the cute little plastic monkey hanging from the rim. Several times during our visit the bartender offered up free appetizers to all the patrons ranging from cheezy/salsa potato wedges to chips and dip. The food was excellent and the bartender let us request whatever songs we wanted. Another mom and pop business that needs to stay around so GO!

Visited April 2012
Josue C, Manager at US Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
Dear customer, thank you for your feed back.
We are glad to hear about your experience at the U.S. Bar & Restaurant and hope to have you back soon!

Brownsville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best restaurants in the area”
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My family and I used to enjoy going to the US Bar, Texas Bar, and Drive-Inn in Matamoros, Mex. years ago. Their food and service was always the best. All the dishes - seafood and meats were exquisite, and not to mention the desserts, which were also very good. Having a sweet tooth, I would always enjoy them. We held a few social events at the Texas Bar and US Bar with the same excellent service. I was saddened to find out that these places had closed down. So, when I found out from the owner, Mr. Jesus Leal, that he had opened the US Bar at South Padre, I was elated. His family was the one who started the restaurants 35 years ago in Matamoros, and I was told that it was the same menu, same everything. I couldn't wait to go until, finally, we went last night. I went to the US Bar last night with my daughter and son-in-law. We had a great time, the food was excellent as well as the service. Mr. Leal is very down-to-earth and hospitable. Our waiter, Paul, made us feel right at home and was very friendly and helpful. Everyone there is very friendly. The place is clean with a great atmosphere. We ordered red snapper and filet mignon that were cooked to perfection. We also had some stuffed mushrooms as appetizers that were to die for, Everything was delicious and we finished everything. The sides were also very good. Their seafood and meats have always been fresh. Oh, and I couldn't leave without having a dessert. I ordered a tiramisu to go. Well, I couldn't wait to get home and ate it on my way back to Brownsville. It was soooooo good. I have never tried their cabrito but my dad and uncle used to say that it was finger licking good. Several friends that have tried it too claim that it is the best, with a very unique flavor. Overall, this place is awesome with the kind of service that everyone deserves. Some of the dishes may be pricey but they are worth their value.Thirty-five years of experience of the best quality food say a lot.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Elma M
Dear customer, thank you for taking the time to give us your feed back.
Yes, we are from the same family as the Texas Bar and Drive in.
We are trying to bring all that friendly ambience to the Island.
Make sure to check our website as we are expanding our dessert menu.
Tucson, Arizona
“Cabrito was great”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Nuevo Laredo, Saltillo, San Antonio and here are the only places I've run into Cabrito which my Dad introduced me to as a youth. This was in a sauce, perfectly prepared. They brought 4 salsas, all good but the hot one is spicy, which I loved. The chips and tortillas were also good.

Visited March 2012
Dear customer, thank you for your feedback.
Yes, we are very proud of our Cabrito Recipes and we are very happy to know about your great experience with us.
We are constantly trying to expand our menu so be sure to check on us regularly and wait for more mexican seafood dishes like: "Tacos Gobernador". "Aguachile", "Marlin Tacos", "Mocajetes" and so on.
Racine, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best mexican”
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Paul was our waiter. Best on SPI. FOOD GREAT. Bar-b-que on tuesday night was extremel good!,

Dear customer, thank you for your feedback.
We are happy to hear about your experience with us.
Yes, the bar-b-que was a really good addition to our menu. We constantly try to have more and different temporary and permanent additions to our menu, the main idea behind this is so our customers can taste something different and the classics even if they visit us every week.
“Worst meal I have ever had!”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

My husband and I both ordered seafood dishes. They were both the worst dishes either of us has ever had. The service was good. It was very clean. Just don't order seafood!

Dear customer, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
We are really sorry about your experience with us.
Rest assured that this has been taking care of and it will not occur again.
We invite you to give us another try. Thank you.