“ROACHES” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Pearsall
“ROACHES”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

The staff was nice. However the room that we were put in smelled wet, there was an AC problem. We had to switch rooms at 3AM because the AC was not cooling. Apparently none of the AC's work because even the second room did not get cool, we all slept with no covers. The AC was not as a bad of a problem as all the roaches that were crawling around. I would not recommend that anyone give a single dollar to this place. Do not be fooled by the "renovations"

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Christina D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I was attacked by vicious bed bugs after taking a 2 hour nap when we first arrived. I was itching the rest of the day! A/C did not work and the room stayed at around 85 degrees in mid July. The woman at the desk couldn't care less when I asked her about it. Had to go to walmart and buy a fan at midnight just to be able to sleep. ONLY 5 channels worked on the TV and it was super slow with bad reception. Had to cancel our second day and check out and then our vacation went MUCH better! Trust me, just spend a bit more on a better place! This place truly sucks. Oh yeah, TINY SHOWER AND ROOM!! Shower was literally like like 1 ft by 1 ft. Not close to the beach unless you wanna cross heavy traffic and walk a few blocks.. Only good thing is that the morning we checked out a new manager seemed to actually care and gave us a $50 credit along with a refund for the second day... I've never been the type to complain, but this motel thoroughly sucked! Take my warning if you are wise and don't want your girl to be pissed at you...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ruben M

Travelers are raving about these South Padre Island hotels

Laredo, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

we stayed there twice now and will keep going there! great price clean and the staff care's if you need something just ask!! good parking and just about a 1 min walk to the gulf ! for the price i was very happy

Room Tip: we where there over xmas and it was a great deal under $40,00 a night
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank John H
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Yeah, its true that I got sick. We spent one night there, arrived fully healthy, and the next morning we were sick to our stomachs and I lost my voice. So, we went to the island doctor and he said to check the room for mold or mildew. I took the pillow case off of my pillow and my pillow was black and green. I had slept on that pillow all night long. We took it back to the doctor and he said that is what made us sick. We returned to the hotel to show them the pillow and they apologized and then promptly refunded our money and even offered a free nights stay, to which we declined. They also paid us back for the doctor's visit. ($100) They asked for the pillow back, but I don't know if they threw it away or not. Just remember you get what you pay for. Fork up a few more bucks and go to LaQuinta, or someplace else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelguider20120
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

My best friend and I decided to stay there while we were in padre. The minute we opened the door to walk in we saw a roach! A roach in the living room, bathroom and one in my bed the last night there. We had issues with the plumbing and our room cards. We had to visit the desk 3 times to get everything right. It just wasn't the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sincerelyk
Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

I had planned to stay here for a quick trip to padre. I was definitely disappointed right from the get go. The parking lot was full, leaving cars to park on the street. There were also several vehicles surrounded by drunk people singing and playing music out of their vehicles. Several room doors were also open with numerous people walking in and out. I passed all of this before even getting to the front desk. When I did arrive, I was told my credit card (which had sufficient funds by a mile) was declined and my reservation was cancelled. When I asked why I was NOT notified dispite having an email and phone number on my confirmation email the girl behind the desk could not give me an answer and claimed she was having computer isses. Mind you, this is after driving 5 hours, and finding out there were no rooms on the entire island available due to some alternative lifestyles convention/weekend festival which I was not aware of. I had to drive 40 minutes to the closest city with a room! I will review that place next to tell you what a REAL hotel should be run like.
This place is overpriced considering what I saw and if the service is this bad and I didn't even get to stay I'd say stay well clear of this dump.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bxb4784f
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2011

Ive stayed at many Motel 6's in the past (as you'll see from my reviews) and this was one in the same. Definitely not as bad as previous posts but its not the nicest place in the world. I actually stayed here twice during one week's trip so my review will cover the overall aspects of 2 rooms and the service of the staff. (stayed the first 2 nights in Padre, next 2 nights in Brownsville, then the last night back here in Padre)

First off, the staff that helped me was great. I only spoke with 2 different staff members (women) during my stays and they were both helpful and knowledgeable of the island and other things I needed to know about. The last night I stayed there while in Padre, I actually dropped my wallet while getting back into my rental and didnt know it til about an hour later. When i went to the office to inquire about it, the staff did all they could do to help me find it. We walked the parking lot a few times, looked in the office a few times, the young woman at the reception desk even came and helped me look through my room in case i misplaced it somewhere there. As a frequent traveler, there is nothing more crippling then losing your wallet... BUT, we actually found it while walking the parking space I parked near one last time. Another car had pulled up and the tire was completely covering it so when they left, there it was. I have one of those super thin wallets that only holds minimal cash and 2 cards and an id. (frequent traveler, remember? less is more)

Anyway, on to the rooms. They are nice overall. Not super new or anything but both my rooms were clean and I slept well. The motel is in a pretty busy area on the main strip on Padre Island so you do hear alot of road traffic but it calms down at night since there is not much going on out there. The beds were the standard queen Motel 6 beds with clean sheets and a light blanket on top. Both rooms were smaller than other Motel 6's that ive stayed in but were very clean and I saw no bugs or roaches as described in the previous posts and my room smelled clean and nice. Not of mildew or water or anything funky.

Both rooms bathrooms were fairly big and completely updated (NOTE: Virtually all Motel 6's have updated rooms but some havent changed out the shower stalls) The shower stalls were brand new and looked like some futuristic IKEA branded stuff. Very nice. The bathrooms were clean everything worked fine.

The rooms come with your standard, 32" flatscreen tv with cable and usually HBO or Showtime, (you can connect video game systems to them, mp3 players, etc for more media options) alarm clock radio, phone, etc. all worked great. Both rooms i stayed in had a small desk and seating area attached to the wall with a mirror and light so it acted as a little desk space. Really convienient.

Ive said it before and i'll say it again, staying at Motel 6's in good areas is the way to go on a quick stay or even a week stay business trip. Cheapest prices and every one ive been in since the early 2000's is updated and are really cool. They just need to throw in free WiFi like alot of the smaller motels do and they would be rocking!

2 thumbs up. go for it.

Room Tip: always request a room on the top floor and on a corner if possible. much quieter stay.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business