“Great fun time”

Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Florida
“Great fun time”
Reviewed September 27, 2010

I was greated by the front desk clerk properly, Chris. He suggested restaurants and night life as well as gave me a important contact phone numbers that i would need while we stayed in Super 8. The pool hours are ok, but i wished that they were a little longer though. The breakfast hours are convinent and filling. The beach is less than a block away and very nice access from where the hotel is at. We plan to go back this weekend for the music festival since the prices are just right for our budget. Thank you very much Josh for the special attention you gave us.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank brimbro
jedman, Owner at Super 8 South Padre Island, responded to this review, October 4, 2010
Thank you very much for your nice review. I will speak to Josh about the pool hours he runs a pretty tight ship. Hope you had fun at the music festival this weekend. Be sure to come back for the Sandcastle Days October 15-18. It is amazing what these artists do with sand. Tell your friends about us. Thanks, MK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Czech first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed August 23, 2010

After reading some of the reviews for this hotel, I was extremely apprehensive about staying here. However, I was pleased when I saw the room. It was clean and open, There was a nice, flat-screen TV. The AC stayed super cold, despite the oppressive heat outside. The room never felt humid or uncomfortable. The decor was a little cheezy, but that is to be expected. I mean, come on...it IS still a Super 8. The only complaint I had concerned the WI-Fi. It worked just fine right after we checked in, but later that night and all day the next day, it simply would not connect. It wasn't really a big deal, since we spent most of the days outside, enjoying the island. I'm sure if we had contacted the office, we could have found a solution. I would definitely go back, especially considering the price! Under $90 a night allowed us to spend out hard earned cash on the fun stuff!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
jedman, Owner at Super 8 South Padre Island, responded to this review, August 28, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Yes the art work in some of the rooms is very outdated and the pattern on the bedspread is not real beachy but it is new. Thanks for your kind words and we hope to have you back soon. Our rates are much lower now we are in the off season.
South Padre Island, Texas
Reviewed August 20, 2010

I was very surprised when we arrived. The hotel exterior was very breath taking! We stayed in a room with a King Size Comfortable Bed and Kitchenette. The room was very clean and we decided to stay 3 nights instead of 1. I owe it to my husband for making a decision to book the hotel here. I was the skeptical one and very pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your description of our property. Yes the exterior and the lobby especially the staircase is beautiful and rare for this price range. We are upgrading our art in the rooms and recently installed new furniture and like to keep the place looking nice. There are six owners mostly from the Dallas area and we appreciate your business. Hope to meet you sometime.
ft worth texas
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Staff was great. Room was dingy but what do you expect for a motel on the island. The place was packed but what do you expect in summer in Padre. Thought it was pricey for what you got.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank caligal18
jedman, Owner at Super 8 South Padre Island, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Thanks for taking time to write a review. We replaced our light bulbs with the energy efficient "green" one that do not put out as much light I am guessing that could be why you describe the room as dingy. Yes in the summer it is busy and our prices are higher than in the off season but we are extremely competitive with our rates. Please consider giving us another opportunity to earn your business.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed July 27, 2010

We stayed here when we went on vaction to SPI.. Check in was very quick & staff was friendly. Price was good. Hotel is in the middle of SPI & VERY close to the beach.. our stay here was excellent & we will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Thank you so much for writing a review. I am sure that coming from Ft. Worth you did allot of research on finding a property that met your needs. We appreciate you business and hope to see you again soon.
Fort Worth
Reviewed June 12, 2010

First of all let me say this is a motel not a hotel - the doors open up to the parking lot, not inside the buliding, so you here all sorts of noise and it makes me feel very unsecure. Not to mention even the hotel has their benches chained down to prevent theft. The sheets had stains on them, the comfortor looked kind of old. The paint job on the rooms was not so good. About cleanliness - except for the linens, I thought it was okay - bathroom was clean, I am sure it is hard to keep clean with all of the sand. I was expecting more from the "super" breakfast. It consists of many different forms of bread-waffles, cereal, powdered donuts, bagels, and bread. Some people brought there own blueberries to throw into the waffle batter while it was cooking, which I thought was creative. Also the room to fix your food and eat is really overcrowded, no room to fix anything or room to pull your chair out to sit. Check in and out was fast. I was trying to save a little money staying here, but on our next visit I will spend the extra to stay at a different hotel - it is not bad, it is just you get what you pay for. Almost forgot, a group of people came into the swimming pool with beers and started making out in the hot tub. We also could not connect to the free internet.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank SPFamily
Sorry that our property was not a good match for you. It sounds like you would prefer a much more expensive "full service" hotel with a restaurant and full breakfast menu that you could pay for. Yes we are a Motel hence the name Super 8 Motel. It is an exterior corridor property where you can park your car right outside your room. We replace comforters and sheets on a regular basis. The interior of all rooms were repainted the fall of 2008 and are concrete walls and ceilings. We do have hot waffles as well as many other free breakfast items which most of our competitors do not have. Most of our competitors have much smaller breakfast rooms if they have one at all. I own the Super 8 and Travelodge and their price points both properties offer much more amenities than our competition. I hope you come back to the island and stay at one of the two full service hotels on the island.
dallas
Reviewed May 10, 2010

From when we crossed the bridge the view was wonderful, getting into my room was fast and the staff gave me great advise/help with what to do. The hotel was close to the beach and surrounded with things to do. When I left i set up my next check in date and with a better plans on what to do in June cant wait to see you guys * specail thanks to Chris front desk clerk that helped with the plans*

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank moe121
Thanks for your review. South Padre Island is a destination with something for everyone. Please let us know if there is anyway we can improve your stay. September through December is a really nice time to visit because there are no crowds the weather is nice and our rates are a bargain. Hope to see you soon.