“Not all that bad”

Super 8 South Padre Island
Ranked #10 of 32 Hotels in South Padre Island
Reviewed July 10, 2008

Well I must admit you get what you pay for, and we paid for a grand hotel and got the Super 8. Our fault completely. We waited not even a week before booking the holiday weekend and stayed 3 nights and paid $734. It wasn't bad, though it wasn't great either. I will break down the pros and cons.

Pros:
Location-it is close to the beach, although you do have to cross the major road (Padre Blvd) to walk to the beach. It isn't bad but we had our 4 year old daughter. Needless to say we drove the other times. Parking was great, though I can't say how it always is because it was raining and had been raining when we left for the beach.

Breakfast- the waffles are very good, though they do not offer healthy alternatives aside from bran flakes and they will not let you eat in your room.

Location- I know again, but it really is close to shopping an restaurants. Walking distance too.

Housekeeping-although they did not mop and or sweep during our stay, they did get our trash and bring extra towels.

Cons:
Air Conditioner is loud

Staff is not overly friendly or really nice at all

A bit noisy, we had people running and knocking on our door being goofy. We also had people smoking something a bit "funny" smelling outside our door and my daughter asked what it was

The floor was all tile so since housekeeping didn't mop and sweep we felt sand on the floor the entire stay.

No healthy selections at breakfast

Parking is not so great..probably not really the hotels fault, just alot of people staying their.

******************************************************************

I will say it is not a bad hotel to stay at with children, just scare off anyone smoking "funny" smelling cigarettes away...however I wouldn't think it is too romantic a place to stay.

Will we stay again??? Probably not...unless they had a lower price. I think we just paid too much for a Super 8 room. $150 the first night and $250 the other two nights.

Would I recommend to a friend??? Again if the price was low enough...Motel 6 is just a few buildings down and the price said $89, and this was the same time we were staying...and yes we were going to switch but prepaid for our room.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank MrsMommy316

Reviewed June 29, 2008

You roll the dice staying here with this management, we had a horrible experience as management showed little concern for the next door "drunken throw down" party that went on all night. The party was reported twice during the night, my wife and 8 yr old got very little sleep...Next morning Mr Patel just didnt seem to care much, all he wanted to do was explain away how the on duty manager made a call, tried to do something. More alarming was his unwillingness to care about our stay, the bad experience we had, the sleep we lost, the vacation we were trying to have, ....his lack of concern was incredible. Not even a "sorry" for all that happened. WOW......will never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank anaggie
Reviewed March 15, 2008

I am not sure why this Super 8 property is highly rated. We stayed here a couple of years ago around Easter (around Santa Semana) and it was not a good experience. Here is what is good about the the motel:
1) it was fairly clean
2) room size was okay
3) the free breakfast was decent

Here is the bad:
1) they overcharged us for our stay- so we had to make sure we took care of that, management seems to not care much about meeting any expectations
2) during our stay there was drinking and partying at the motel, and I finally had to call police because Super 8 would not do anything to take action to remedy the excessive noise, etc.
3) the walls are paper thin so we were kept up by our neighbor till about 4:00 AM
4) the pool was dirty (sandy)
5) it is across the street from the side with the Gulf and that street is very hard to cross. Overall, it is in a terrible location, it is very loud and right off the busy main road.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank MinnVacationer
Reviewed December 28, 2007

I booked a room online thinking I had reserved a Non-smoking room with pets and kitchenette. When we checked in, we were informed that the online agent had only reserved a standard room for us (at the same price as a kitchenette). We agreed to an upcharge for the kitchenette, not realizing the hotel also didn't know about our pets. We were given a room right in front of the lobby so if we were trying to deceive anyone, we surely would have asked for another, less public room.

On CHRISTMAS MORNING, the hotel manager called to accuse us of trying to deceive the hotel with our pets! So we agreed to yet another upcharge for pets. These upcharges should have totaled $26.74; the hotel overcharged my credit card $100.17.

THIS WAS A HORRIBLE CHRISTMAS EXPERIENCE!!

We had agreed to all the upcharges, yet when we went to check out, the hotel manager felt the need to start yelling at us, accusing us very loudly of trying to cheat the hotel. WHILE WE ARE PAYING HIM, HE IS ACCUSING US OF CHEATING THE HOTEL!

About the room:
1. the dresser drawers didn't open and close easily
2. the shower had such low pressure, my wife couldn't get her hair completely clean
3. the beds had a plastic sheets over the mattress, so we sweat all night
4. half the light bulbs in the room were burned out
5. the free continental breakfast was all junk - no fruit ("they haven't had fruit in 2 years!"), or healthy offerings, so we bought all our own food
6. all the hotel staff were very RUDE to us (we are middle aged), yet quite accommodating to all the seniors (Winter Texans).

MY RECOMMENDATION:
If you're a Winter Texan, these people will charm you and take great care of you. If you're just some working Joe on vacation, WATCH OUT!! CHECK THE PRICING...they advertise locally for $29.99/night...online it's up to $49.99/night!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Pollard3
Reviewed October 31, 2007

I recommend Super 8 to anyone staying at SPI. Nice and helpful staff.
I stayed in Nonsmoking room with two queen beds, the best sleep I have gotten in years. The only negative thing about my stay that kept
this hotel from being Excellent Rating was the wireless internet would not connect to my laptop. But not a big deal, your at the island so get out of your room and enjoy the beach as we did. I will defintely return here on my next trip down to South Texas.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank dlopez4
Reviewed August 7, 2007

The only "clean" rooms are the jacuzzi rooms which are in the main lobby building. Otherwise, the room I had was terrible. The King bed was supported by two twins which meant as a couple you roll to the center. It also creaked every time you moved. The towels were old, rough and very thin. The bathroom tub floor was dirty (how hard is it to clean chrome fixtures too?) The sheets had stains from blood, pen, to who knows what. The rooms were rarely swept as I noticed the same things on the floor for two days. The A/C is noisy and the vents were full of black mold. I did everything I could on the island to stay out of the room. The only way I could get to sleep was to lay across the bed in the wrong direction and take a pill to put me to sleep. I would advise anyone if you want to stay here, request the jacuzzi rooms since they seem to be the only "clean" ones. Otherwise, spend the money, get yourself a better room or at least a condo.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank boingo_tx
Reviewed May 29, 2007

I stayed here on april and the room i stayed was filthy smelled like dog piss and the ac' was very noisy one of the pillows had blood on it and the breakfast was cheap. no fruit no tea no oat meal we could not have breakfast in the room so said one of the head of houskeeping the manager or front desk said we could. the towels were worn dirty the bathroom had hair never will i stay at super 8 againon top of the bad stay i was charged and extra night thats no cool guys

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business