“Nothing wrong with a stay here.”
Review of Pearl South Padre

Pearl South Padre
Del Rio, Texas
“Nothing wrong with a stay here.”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Spent half a week here. If you want to find things to complain about you can. Check in was an hour late. I also agree the hotel could use some sprucing up.

Having said that the staff and facility are among the best on the island. We enjoyed three days with kids club, swim up bar, and eating at the hotel a couple of times. There is also a decent customer base at the hotel both the kids and grownups found others to socialize with.

Just me but I am not going to the beach to enjoy a hotel room so as long as it is clean, comfortable, and has the basics I am fine.

1 Thank Abogadodave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Auburn, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Good location, but that's all. The room was dirty, had to call daily to get towels and linens for the beds. As the staff would take them away and not replace. We had a kitchen, but the stove was old and the microwave did not work. The lights were burnt out, beds old. But had a great view and right on the beach. The pool was packed and not clean (globs of hair floating around). Not much for frills. We spend our time on the beach and the kids loved it.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank jimt65
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is the worst bed I have ever slept in!!!!! Period I'm done !!!!! The hotel it self is ok but the room is very an I mean very average lol ....like really 250.00 a night an not all its cracked up to be the restaurant, beach an pool area is the selling point!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Victoria, Texas
Reviewed August 8, 2013

DON'T LET THE PRETTY PICTURES FOOL YOU!!! We booked this hotel for 5 nights as a getaway from our hectic life and based on their website, we were excited to get there. When we arrived I had to ask someone if that is the Pearl Hotel to make sure we are not in the wrong spot even thou we saw the sign big on the building. The staff was somehow courteous, bearlly speaking English (oh well, let that fly).. Reception area very wet floors from all the traffic from kids and I say kids not a few ( it looked like a school buss would have daily stop there), and all other guests coming in and out of the pool area and the beach dripping all over. There was very big chance of slipping and falling in that place. Next thing, there was a constant smell like rotten eggs either the water or whatever it was, after two or three days we had to remind ourselves to not let it get to us. That smell was all over and still couldn't figure it our what that was. The outside bar area- it looks so relaxing and serene in the picture... yeah right!!!! Reality- stinky fish smell, dirty tables, sticky tables, bartenders handling the drinks in a very unsanitary way. Want to sit at bar in the pool- you will serve your drink with the doze of chlorine water from all the splashing from kids (which were not supposed to be in that particular area). Parents and guests with no manners nor idea of respect for others guests. BBQ area- it is true the guy was wearing gloves but I was wondering for whose protection? his or to not contaminate the food? bc let me tell you .. that guy didn't changed his gloves ones in a period of a few hours and serving quite an amount of food with no help from anyone. Moving on- the room - was OK ! it looked like the cleaning fairy was in a hurry and had to go, not too much time to spend there. We ordered to have a microwave in the room and yes we did had one and work fabulous if you are looking to have a "in room fireworks display". Yeah!! fire hazard big time!!>. We called to have it changed. AC unit was probably kept in the room as a piece for a museum in the future, loud and horrible!!!.. They are very prehistoric for the amount of money they are asking for rooms.
Well we tried to talk with the manager, which at first I thought is the maintenance guy, but anyway, we thought we will be talking about the issues in a private setting and not want us to explain what is going here in a open area where everyone could hear it. Good luck !! No, we were right there at the front desk with guests checking in- so much for protecting your business.. but what top it all was - his ways of taking notes - ON HIS HAND!!! are you kidding me?? not even a piece of paper or a receipt, which I bet he could find in his pockets. I was ready to offer him one but I thought it would be offensive. So all he did was to give us free breakfast!!>. I am not interested in your free breakfast - I was interested to see that what you offer on your website is there.. the rank of the hotel is too high on website!!
In other words- if you can spare a few more bucks - go somewhere else, this hotel is not worth a penny. NEVER AGAIN!!!!
The only good thing I have to say about this place is the view from balcony was great (except in the night seeing people making out in the pool and changing their body fluids) anyone for a swimming in the pool ??? and restaurant stuff (some nice).. Oh I forgot to mention.. Inside bar - try to order a Martini and you will have Rambo serve it to you soon as he pools out the instructions from the internet!!
Food ??? I don't even want to go on that subject- unsanitary way of handling food... wearing gloves doesn't show you are clean when you open a box of gas containers and then you return to prepare my omelet and stick your hands with the same gloves in the bowl of cheese.. No, thank you very much, but all of the sudden I am not hungry anymore!!..
I know I sound picky but I work for my money hard enough to want to enjoy nice things!!
Good day everyone :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank S R

Travelers are raving about these South Padre Island hotels

Dallas
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Depends on your expectation level. We went the last week of July and had a very nice trip at the Pearl. First we were there for a convention, so we didnt review other hotels before we went. We had a room on the 7th floor with 2 double beds and a beautiful view of the pool and beach. We enjoyed waking up to the views every morning. The room was always very cold, the water in the showers worked fine, and the beds were comfy. The hotel is older and the bathroom could use some updating though, but it was very clean on the grounds. They pool area was nice although we used the beach the entire time. I would stay here again, but would look for other options as well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Our first family vacation to SPI. Loved the beach & island but disappointed in hotel. Beds, linens, pillows, towels & furniture are in desperate need of being replaced. We had to request a new room after sinking into the mattress when sitting down. They couldn't get us a new room until the next day. We dealt with it for one night because staff was very friendly. The days after that, we had trouble with housekeeping showing up to clean our room. It seems the entire hotel is understaffed. Towels for the pool area are never readily available to their guests. We enjoyed our vacation but Pearl is not a resort we will be returning to. Owner needs to invest money in this place because rooms are not cheap & their seems to be too many disappointed customers.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Soria2013
San Antonio, United States
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Love the staff, amenities, food... but AC and bedding were terrible!!!!! I could not sleep. 1. The AC is outdated and don't keep up with the heat 2. The Bed was the worst that I every sleep on it (not kidding)

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts