“Pearl SPI is not the "resort" expected” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pearl South Padre

Pearl South Padre
Flower Mound, Texas
“Pearl SPI is not the "resort" expected”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

Despite 50/50 reviews, booked hotel online b/c was a "resort," pool looked fabulous in photos. Stayed 1 out of 5 nights, checked out early. Parking to check in was chaotic. Room smelled of mildew from shower curtain, loud AC ran constantly, mattress sunken in/lumpy (advertised as premier pillow-top bed). Bathrm electricity went out at 7pm, no maint. staff showed (used cell phone light for night bathroom trips); called in AM, power on w/in minutes -- could have flipped switch when 1st called! Pool looks good from afar, closer look shows wear. Should have only been charged for 1 night but had 2 addtl approx $1400 charges afterwards, which took about a week to get taken off. Checked into Hilton Garden Inn -- it was 100X better! New property, very clean, very friendly, ocean front and more.

Room Tip: Partial ocean views are 45-degree angles, where overlook pool and see a bit of the beach and ocean...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Navasota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

My family stayed for six days July 6, 2012 and had a memorable vacation, that we are still glowing from. I recommend the pool side of the hotel, my room had a wonderful view of the Gulf and bay side of the Island.

The staff was friendly, the manager is hands on, overseeing all parts of the amenities, ensuring customer satisfaction. I live in Navasota, Tx and considered a cruise and we are glad we chose Padre Island and The Pearl. My first time at the Pearl / Ex-Sheraton.

My 3 yr. old grand daughter loved the kids swimming pool with the Froggy slide and my wife and I enjoyed many hours by the swim up bar, where we became friends with the staff and others staying at the hotel.

High Marks: Cold pool water every day, Ice machines never ran out of ice, Hotel on the beach, family atmosphere, friendly people staying at the hotel, private, cold A/C.

For younger couples, I recommend the Wanna Wanna, we stayed their one night, we arrived one day early. Less expensive, lots of young couples and singles and public access to the beach.

Room Tip: The food at the hotel looked great, but we chose to eat economically. My room had a refrigerator.
Fort Worth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

The Pearl is basically just the Sheraton under a new name, so it was nothing special to me, considering that I stayed there three times when it was still a Sheraton hotel. I never got to try the restaurant because it's too pricey, but the food does sound good. The room we stayed in didn't have that great of a view of the beach, but my mom cares about that more than I do. The room was very clean, as well as the restroom. No bedbugs, roaches, or anything like that. There was one day when housekeeping didn't arrive, so we let the people at the front desk know, and the problem was fixed in a jiffy. The employees were nice and welcoming. This is a very nice hotel and I had a great time

Alvin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed at the Pearl the week of July 9th and had a great time.The staff was wonderful all around. The first night our AC unit went out but the hotel replaced it with a new one right away. We had a joining rooms with the kids and they had there own bathroom and balcony.Our rooms were clean and spacious and the hotel is right on the beach. The pool was refreshing after a day at the beach which also had a separate pool for our 2 year old son who loved it.Our family will be returning here for a vacation

Arlington, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We're in a two bedroom condo/studio overlooking the ocean. When we checked in the room most of the dishes were unclean, quit a few of the utencils were missing and the room is need of updating. Housekeeping brought the missing utencils quickly. Several of the electrical outlets didn't work. Engineering was promt, but didn't fix the problem until the next day. Bring your own soap products for the kitchen.

The main lobby and pool area are nice. The main restaurant food was good. The pool bar is understaffed. In addition, pool bar employees are in no hurry to take your order. By the end of the day trash cans were overflowing. It would be nice if the beaches were racked.

I expected better at the prices we paid. However, the manager did make it better by giving us a free night.

1 Thank KTM250300
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

I just stayed at the pearl south padre last week, checking in on 7/4/12. The hotel was easy to find and get to, it is located right off the causeway. First impression was that it was crowded but the staff did not seem frustrated but rather pleasant and helpful. My room was not ready so I was given a wristband for the pool and asked to give them 1 hour. In exactly 1 hour, my room was ready. I stayed in a king suite and was quite pleased with the room. The view from the 9th floor was great. The bathroom door did not shut correctly and the remote on 1 tv did not work. I said nothing about the door but did say something about the remote. The guy was at my door to fix it almost before I made it back up from the front desk. Again, amazingly helpful and friendly staff. I would have rated my stay 4 stars had it not been for the hotel restaurant, this place was the opposite of the hotel in terms of quality and customer service. The staff was rude and dismissive, had I not been so hungry, I would have gone elsewhere. I did not visit the restaurant again during my visit, I should have complained but did not do so. Overall a great stay in a great hotel. Beach access and a terrific pool as well. I recommend the pearl and will stay again next time I am in south padre.

• Stayed July 2012
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Rooms are dirty..poor job patching sheet rock...base boards dirty..hall to rooms had filthy carpet with wear and tear...carpet needs to be replaced. They did offer us another room. It was twice the size, but just as dirty and worn out. We checked out and they did refund our money. The staff was really nice, but I would not recommend staying at this resort. The Quality of this hotel is very poor.

• Stayed July 2012